It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

germany commissions the first 2 type 212 subs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 06:29 AM
link   
after all the rigmarole that a new type has to go through , the german navy has now got its hands on the first two type 212 subs , christened U31 and U32

english lang sources seem pitiful

press_release

but this military forum has the promo pictures :

pictures_forum

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Noted the picture of the torpedo room both where the guys are eating dinner where the tubes can be seen in the background and the one with the guys feet sticking out..obviously doing some work in the tube.
It looks very much similar to the standard 21 inch tubes used here though configured somewhat differently buy the lines attached on the outside.
Noted is the breech locking ring which would secure the door when it is closed. Also what appears to be a hydraulic manifold low in the bottom of the picture and the lines running neatly in piping run at the ceiling above the open torpedo door. What I am curious about is do they use welded pipe fittings or mechanical fittings in thier hookups of the hydraulic lines especially around the torpedo tubes. What we call bite tight. fittings/mechanical. This cannot be clearly determined by these pictures.
Would be curious to know the name of the company manufacturing these torpedo tubes.

Electronics in the control room appears to be digital. Intresting periscope too.
Upper deck appears to be a hollow turtle back. I am surmising the mooring lines cleats are unlockable and roll under to make the hull clean, instead of fixed ,offering by this method a clean hull underway.
Nice looking boat.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
the torpedo room of the 212 seems to be " built around " the atlas elektronic ` DM2A4 ` torpedo

atlas is named as the contractor for other systems , sonar etc

hope that helps

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
Noted the picture of the torpedo room both where the guys are eating dinner where the tubes can be seen in the background and the one with the guys feet sticking out..obviously doing some work in the tube.
It looks very much similar to the standard 21 inch tubes used here though configured somewhat differently buy the lines attached on the outside.

Would be curious to know the name of the company manufacturing these torpedo tubes.

Yes the torpedo tubes are of 533mm (21 in.) diameter. They are AFAIK manufactured by the german company ATLAS Elektronik, as well as the torpedoes (which come in 4 different sizes), and ATLAS is said to be one of the leading submarine outfitters in the world. ATLAS currently is offered for sale, and a lot of big players would like to have it, including Thales, Thyssen, EADS and the Carlyle Group.

The specialty of these torpedo tubes is that they have a water ram expulsion system for torpedo launch and subsequently can launch torpedoes a good deal stealthier than most current submarines with the conventional pressurized air launch. They can also launch various missile systems, but sadly the german Navy is not even close to a decision on what missile technologies to go for.

The 3rd U212A, the U33, has arrived at its homebase for testing two weeks ago. One interesting bit is that this is the first time women will serve on a german uboat, because the U212A is the first to provide enclosed compartments for 4 crewmembers each, multiple showers and toilets, and also the first one where every sailor has its own bunk. So that leaves only 2 branches women may not serve in, and these are the KSK and the marine special forces.

[edit on 24/10/2005 by Lonestar24]

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Thanks for the information on the manufacturer of the torpedo tubes. I have marked it for future research when I have more time.

Also of note in the pictures was the photo of a woman crewmember. I would be very intrested to know how this works out on submarines. The US Navy is reluctant to put women aboard submarines particularly submarines which do long patrols three months or more.
They do not make it public but there is a noticable number of women in the US Navy on ships winding up pregnant and removed to shore dutys putting more strain on the remaining crew members as they seldome get replacements. Once again this is not made public and many sailors have gotten out after one tour because of this burden. Many older chiefs too have put in thier papers after so many years of this. This is the surface Navy to which I refer. Hence my curiosity as to how this will work out on submarines.

YOu also posted:

"The specialty of these torpedo tubes is that they have a water ram expulsion system for torpedo launch and subsequently can launch torpedoes a good deal stealthier than most current submarines with the conventional pressurized air launch. "

Intresting too that you mention this type of system..I have worked on this very system on some of our boats.

Thanks to all for their postings,
Orangetom

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 06:24 AM
link   
The problem of romantic relationships and pregnancy in particular occurs in german military, too. But it isnt that much of a problem yet. I guess here, but I would say that females, especially aboard ships, still have a special role because of the little experience in "handling" them (women first were allowed into the armed service in the late 90´s). Another difference might be the size of ships. With the exception of a few frigates the german vessels are very small.

The until-now standard german submarine was the U206/A with a displacement of only 500t ! And even the new U212A is less than a third of the volume of the smallest USA SSN, the Los Angeles class (1800t vs. 6900t, 27 crewmembers vs. 129 crewmembers). Naturally such a small group in connection with less available space (or "secret spots") will result in different social dynamics. As to whether it will be "easier" to avoid romantic relationships because of the tighter "group control", or even harder because of the inevitable closeness, I cannot say and need more Input

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   

36 torpedos + 24 mines each, enough to sing the american atlantic fleet

Hmm, I found that as one of the posts in response to the posting of the pictures on that thread. Anyone want to tell me a few things that are WRONG with that one statement?

Link to Thread

Just scroll down to the responses.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies

36 torpedos + 24 mines each, enough to sing the american atlantic fleet

Hmm, I found that as one of the posts in response to the posting of the pictures on that thread. Anyone want to tell me a few things that are WRONG with that one statement?

Link to Thread

Just scroll down to the responses.

ummm he spelled sing with sink?
it makes me think about the Joe Buff submarine books like Deep Sound Channel, Crush Depth, Straits of Power where the Allies (U.S. and U.K.) v. Axis powers (Germany and South Africa). So freaky!!!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies
12 torpedos + 24 mines each, not enough to sink the U.S. American Atlantic Fleet ,but good enough to take care of the six carriers there.

Corrections are bold

[edit on 25/10/2005 by Lonestar24]

join