It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Google Expected to Dominate Tech World

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
MSFT Market Cap: 287.93 B-- Price:27.0495
GOOG Market Cap:108.87 B- Price:389.90

Google is catching up to MSFT fast... as well as directly taking on Madison Avenue.

www.iht.com...

By next year, Mr. Noto said, he expects Google to have advertising revenue of $9.5 billion. That would place it fourth among American media companies in total ad sales after the News Corporation and the Walt Disney Company, but ahead of giants including NBC Universal and Time Warner.

They are in good company. They are targetting just about every segment with their Ad program that literally anyone can advertise through. I continue to be Bullish Long Term as for the short or medium terms it's anyones guess.

[edit on 8-11-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Bill Gates issued a memo on October 30, warning his executives of the threat posed by Google and others with web-based software services. Ray Ozzie, a Microsoft chief technical officer, admitted in a October 28, memo that MS has been lagging behind on internet-based services. I guess all that is going to change now.

Last week, Microsoft announced plans for Windows Live and Office Live, two Web-based offerings that aim to help the company compete with Google, Yahoo Inc., Salesforce.com and other companies that are already seeing success with such Web-based offerings.

Microsoft has recently faced criticism that its model, which still relies mostly on delivering software in traditional packaging, could grow antiquated. The concern is that, as more companies offer online services for everything from word processing to storing photos, there will be less of a need for Microsoft's lucrative Windows operating system and Office business software.

Microsoft's nascent Windows Live and Office Live efforts aim to complement its valuable software franchises with online products that build on what people find on their desktop computers.

Red Orbit

[edit on 2005/11/8 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I guess all that is going to change now.

Maybe. Maybe not. Microsoft is an aging company while Google is a young upstart brimming with (Ph.D) talent and ... well not exactly new idea's it's the scale that they propose to deploy these idea's that is new and exciting.

How bout Free WiFi in San Fran? If Google makes money on that experiment through targetted ads, expect that to become the norm for low end internet connections in every metropolitan area in the world.

I expect Yahoo and Microsoft to try to go down that rout but google will have the competitive edge for at least a decade (nothing lasts forever)

The next BIG thing I expect to see out of GOOG is a "free" (Ad supported) Wifi Internet computer(assuming the San Fran experiment succeeds and even if it doesn't they still might do this) capable of playing mid-range videogames and loads of content via the net(which the customer hopefully uses google.com to find
)

See where I'm going with this? They are thinking long term allthough to some shortsighted people it may look like a long shot I disagree.

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I'll be very interested to see how the talk of Google Office and even an OS someday actually plays out. They certainly have the money and talent to dominate. They are stealing talent from microsoft and other household tech names if the media stories I have seen are accurate. Google seems like a pretty flexible company that can adapt quickly so I don't think they are going anywhere, but whether they will dominate the tech world or not? only time will tell

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Interseting article by the IT god Richard X. Cringley

www.pbs.org...

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Yet another insightful view into Google by Cringley, he has some rather grandiose theories but if true then... well read for yourself

www.pbs.org...

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Yet another insightful view into Google by Cringley, he has some rather grandiose theories but if true then... well read for yourself

www.pbs.org...

Excellent article, thank U sardion

I can't stand Microsoft, and hope Google does get up there to compete. I never use Yahoo anymore, just not interested, whenever I did use it I felt it was made for kids use for some reason lol
When I need something google does it for me every time, without any BS.
U all have brought up wonderful points of the opposition to Google moving forward, but think of the average Internet user, who do U think they are using ?

I believe Google will dominate ... and I don't see whyt hey shouldn't, what have they got wrong so far ? I for one do not mind at all. Seems to me they are doing more for us while making themselves rich ... unlike some

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 01:09 AM
link   
www.google.com...

Here is just one new revenue stream Google is nurturing.

Maybe eventually ATS will purchase one of these babies heh.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Yet another stellar article by Cringley on Googles efforts to become a major phone company, a major video entertainment provider, a major player in home automation and even medical telemetry.

www.pbs.org...

As I say so often Google likes to play it Risky and Big. I don't see MSFT or Yahoo thinking this big or ambitious(allthough they will try to seem like they are preferably without doing anything as doing something tangible costs allot of money and talent which I don't think MSFT or YAHOO have anymore heh)

[edit on 30-11-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 06:50 AM
link   

This shipping container is a prototype data center. Google hired a pair of very bright industrial designers to figure out how to cram the greatest number of CPUs, the most storage, memory and power support into a 20- or 40-foot box. We're talking about 5000 Opteron processors and 3.5 petabytes of disk storage that can be dropped-off overnight by a tractor-trailer rig.

That thing will melt! Bwhahaha!

Actually that portable datacenter is a great idea, they would have to cram a heck of a cryogenic cooling in there, but I still think it will melt! Bwhahaha!!

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I do not thinks its healthy with to much centralisation of information on the internet. It can be censored that way.

But i think there will be space for another www.altavista.com.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I don't believe a centralised infrastructure is what Google is after. They reconize the benefits of an open decentralized infrastructure and Google wouldn't be Google without an Open Internet infrastructure like we have now (They probably wouldn't even exist if one of the proprietary networks had won the network wars of the 90s :shudder: but as we all know the internet won and proprietary POS companies lost)

I am a GOOG supporter and shareholder, the moment they become a Predetory Monopoly is the moment they join my list of "Evil Companies that I will never ever give access to my wallet not even when hell freezes over" and I dump my shares and try to convince others to do the same.

EDIT Just type of Search Engines in Google.com and you won't even see their own search engine on the front page(it would be reduntant but they do not block competition from their Indexing crawler)

[edit on 30-11-2005 by sardion2000]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join