It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Google Expected to Dominate Tech World

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Worldwide, Google's search engine gets about half of the searches on the internet. They are gaining ground in the email game with their gmail. There's Froogle to help with your online shopping. There's image searching and now there's Blog Search. The next big thing is going to be "virtual" applications and Google has built a supercomputer to offer applications such as word processors and spreadsheets on the internet that would be available to anyone with a connection and a browser.

www.bestsyndication.com
Google is already the dominant search engine handling half of the searches worldwide. According to a new book by author Stephen Arnold, Google may become the most dominant tech company in the world.

Google has already challenged both Microsoft and Yahoo for the email business providing a lower cost alternative with its gmail. They also offer a free service called Froogle that searches for products sold online. For instance, if you are looking for a motorcycle, Froogle will list the prominent vendors and their prices.

Not only does Google provide the most relevant word searches, Google has also cataloged the image world, providing image searches. Google is becoming the leader in news searches, providing relevant data on news stories. If you have ever tried a simple web search for a news item you know how difficult it is to find that story.

Since news stories are “new”, they have few links to them. For example in a regular web search the news would be buried on page 5000. Google News solves that problem by bringing content from various news organizations together.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Google might very well be on the brink of dominating the digital world. One expert claims that Google has been flying below radar by not directly competing with Microsoft, but those days appear to be nearing an end. Incurring the wrath of Microsoft has proven to be the kiss of death for competitors, but Google seems to be approaching a head-on collision in the near future.

Related News Links:
www.informit.com
www.thestreet.com
www.redherring.com
www.shanghaidaily.c om

[edit on 2005/10/21 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   
If Google goes head to head with Microsoft my bet is that Microsoft loses. People already know Google makes a good product. People already know that M$ makes defective and expensive products. Buying a M$ product makes you feel like you just got home from a bad date.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Good read Grady. I'm ready for Google, or someone, to get to natural language queries--typed in at first, but spoken as soon as possible. If Google can come up with that type of capability then more power to them. Really, I don't care who does it, just get it done.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Grady

My experience has been that anything MS does Google finds a way of doing it better.

It appears their recent partnering with Sun Microsystems will bring direct competition with MS's Office products.
Google, Sun Micro link up on software

Word processing, spread sheet applications and more built on open standards over the Internet. This is something many have deemed too complicated a venture due to the dynamics involved.

Google does IM right
Google's recent entrance into the IM market surprised many. The thought being that AOL, Yahoo and MSN pretty much had that market cornered. However, as always, Google took a different approach. Their Google Talk intends to allow users to communicate with any or all at the same time. While the top three IM services restricted user communication to their respective programs, in steps Google basing GT upon open standards thereby allowing communciation regardless of which program the intended recipient uses.

IMO it is this consistently unique approach that allows them to prevail and succeed where others have tried and failed.

I look for Google to continue their leaps and bounds success story for quite some time. No doubt, at some point, that will bring them toe to toe with MS and, IMO, let the best 1's and 0's win!

My only regret is I was unable to sink a boatload into their initial IPO.

[edit on 10/21/2005 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 01:34 AM
link   
The only thing google has going for it is the adsense program. Without it they would be broke.

The stock will bust one day and a lot of geeks will cry. tis true.

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 01:55 AM
link   
GOOG remings me of YHOO, nice ride while it lasts but Newtonian laws apply. Overall dynamics of the market point to a meltdown and Google-mania will get a lesson in irrational exuberance, like all the rest.

Meanwhile place your bets, hope you got in at the beginning or get ready to dump and short the top.

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I don't know, they seem pretty hungry and they make money. I posted this in the Mod forum a few days back, but I will post my observations about my trip to the "Googleplex" in Mountain View

My 4 AM (PST) bike ride to Google.

Could not sleep last night, So I went for a bike ride. Ended up spending alot of time riding through the Google campus in Mountain View.

Couple of thoughts for those interested:

These people must eat alot. From organic juice to junk food there were tons of trucks. Lots of people at work even at that hour and a total lack of high end cars in the lot. Honda Civics, VW's, Mini's seemed to dominate.

THe number of little cafe's and full on cafeterias was astounding. Every building had at the very least a Starbucks size eatery and NOT a cash register in sight. In every lobby a plasma or projector screeen displayed a scrolling list of what must be active searches. I watched a huge one for 15 minutes. No ATS was seen

However many of the building appeared to have many empty offices. This is puzzling given that they just announced a deal to build another massive complex that includes housing on the old NAS Moffett Field (Now NASA AMES and Moffett Federal Airfield/Onizuka AFB). So why all that capacity.

The last stop was to roll by the day care center which was lit up and seemed to be staffed. Thats pretty early for waking up kids.

Nice designs, free world class food, free daycare, 20 minute bike ride from my house really makes me wish they needed a nurse!!!

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 02:06 AM
link   
The google stock will take a dive once competition for the adsense program rolls out into full force. Expect yahoo to take out some competition on google then.

Even now, yahoo searches more pages than google. in all reality google is getting worse with search results. I have to wade through a lot of junk to get what I want.

Although yahoo isnt much better these days....

Anyhow, google will dive. They are only experiencing huge growth because of the single market adsense program and the huge boom it made when any knob with a webpage could sign up.

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Google has just entered its second law suit over the scanning of books which the plantiffs say is a copyright violation. I don't see Yahoo or Microsoft taking these steps. Attempting to make an electronic library is a big leap and one that will either wind up ruining them or putting them on top for many years. I just don't see Yahoo or MS being the culprit behind Google's demise. What are Yahoo's plans towards maps? I know Google Maps are very popular.

Does anyone have any information to verify whether Google's plans to catalog the entire internet are true or not? This could very will be Google's biggest triumph if true. Making such large quantities of information of line is like having the world's largest encyclopedia....think every issue and every volume of Encyclopedia Brittanica ever publish times 1000.

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Google became huge due to one key acquisition back on the nineties. In the day, there was a website called "dejanews", which was the first major site to put the contents of the Usenet discussion groups (and binaries) on the World Wide Web. Dejanews was awesome.

See, Usenet contained all the discussions from the infancy days of the web and tcp/ip on the web. So all those databased orginal threads got owned by google when they bought dejanews. They were literally nothing but another search engine back then, just like inktomi and other search engines (no databases of content, just a site the searched the web). Dejanews actually created what is known as "Google".

www.deja.com...

...So Google is just another corporate conglom. Simley face on the outside, gobbler of companies and ideas in reality. They have successfully used other people's work to grow larger. Google doesn't do too much original thinking, although I do like Google Earth.

[edit on 22-10-2005 by smallpeeps]

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
is it also true that google getting sued because gmail is g-mail (a company made before gmail)

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Google is growing because they are acquiring companies left and right. Keyhole for maps etc.

Yahoo or others could buy other companies too. Not that hard to do. They have the money.

But yahoo already provides far more services than google. Googles best selling point is its search, its what it is known for, but yahoo gets into more things.

Webhosting etc.

Yahoo has already shown they are willing to compete with anything google does.

Google searches more pages, yahoo ups them.

Google puts out bigger email storage, yahoo matches them. (btw googles email system is built on technology years old)

Yahoo has better audio and video search. They search more pages. They have just as good news searching capabilities.

In the end, google is nothing great.

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Stupid question...How does Google make money? I mean net advertising can't really generate that much income can it? Is there a tangible consumer product I don't know about?

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Apoc
Stupid question...How does Google make money? I mean net advertising can't really generate that much income can it? Is there a tangible consumer product I don't know about?

Notice those google ads here on ATS? On nearly every other webpage you see?

Thats how they make money. And yes it generates alot for them.

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I guess google stock-value erosion is inevitable when weather machine is aimed at Mountain View quake!

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
That's why GOOG was up 12% yesturday on this news.

ca.us.biz.yahoo.com...

Google's profit, announced after the market closed Thursday,increased by more than sevenfold to $381.2 million. Excluding advertising commissions, revenue more than doubled to $1.05 billion.

We don't even know what the saturation point for NET advertising is, but I expect as it gets bigger so will GOOG, YHOO and others. Videostreaming ads pay nearly as much as TV ads per viewer (around 20 buck per)

Also rumors are swirling over googles purcheses over dark fiber a while back. Apparently Billions worth of the stuff. What would they need with the stuff?

They only hire PhD's for a reason(as well as give them 1 day a week to work on their own chosen pet projects(thats how GOOG maps came around I believe))

The Naysayers have been wrong from day one and there does not seem an end in sight for the near term at least.

[edit on 22-10-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   
That article speaks for itself.

Although it keeps introducing new products, Google's profits remained tied to advertising -- a field susceptible to volatile swings of fortune.

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Google is higly overrated.

All things I know from them were made by other people or somebody else makes them better.

I never liked their search engine because of the way they sort the results.

Also, Altavista was much better before getting sidelined by the publicity Google gets from the use by "Joe Average" who does not know how to make a boolean search.

I do not know anything about markets and economics (my present econominc situation shows that :@@
, but I think that Google is starting to get higher than it should be, even for themselves.

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Google also owns a lot of the old Usenet archives. www.google.com...

Actually, I'm not sure how I feel about this. I have several google downloads and really like them. And competition - from Yahoo, MSN, and others will keep the bar high.

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Actually, Google has preserved for posterity some of my less discreet moments on the internet. However, I think that Usenet gets a lot less use than it did in the days of yore.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join