It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Life by the Numbers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
A team of German researchers have managed to calculate the time the average person spends doing all the little things that keep people occupied in the course of a seventy-eight year lifetime. The activity that takes the most of our time is sleeping. It seems we spend a very short period of time actually enjoying ourselves.

www.news.com.au
The "life by numbers" breakdown is the work of German researchers who added up all the snatched moments of everyday activities to find how much time they take up over the average lifetime of 78 years.

The result is a fascinating picture of how we spend our lives.

Eating and drinking, whether a quick bite on the run or a leisurely lunch, takes five years.

But the average TV viewer spends six months longer than that watching their favourite programs.

Other more traditional pastimes such as reading and playing games formed no part of the study.

Instead, it revealed we spend four months of our lifetimes playing computer games.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a very enlightening study. I'm not surprised that we do more sleeping than any other activity. I guess it would take me a dozen lifetimes to spend nine months doing housework, if that's the length of time the average person spends and I feel like I spent more than one year and ten months sitting in classrooms and seminars.

[edit on 2005/10/21 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Fascinating if you're an average person. I would tend to question some of those numbers being applicable to myself though. I sleep less than 6 hours per day on average, and always have since I can remember. Wonder what I did with all that extra time?

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astronomer68
Wonder what I did with all that extra time?

Did you spend it "enjoying yourself?"

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Other more traditional pastimes such as reading and playing games formed no part of the study.

What, then how do they say that we aren't enjoying ourselves when they don't even put in the enjoyment part, lame.

Instead, it revealed we spend four months of our lifetimes playing computer games.

Yea, 4 months, that's it? I know I've played about an hour a night of CS every night this year. And for the past 5 years before this one, its been about 4 to 6 hours a night. And I'm not on as much as most of the gaming community is.

And hey, I LOVE driving, did they take into account that I have the priviledge of driving about an hour to work roundtrip plus another hour to school roundtrip everyday? Craziness, I wonder who they had as subjects?

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Ive played guitars down to bare wood. Im only 20. Wonder how many hours I will put into the hobby before i get beamed up.

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Pfft...

What crazy German's...I've already spent more than 16hours of pleasuring myself at 19...far too much information, I know.

I don't work out how they do their study on the average person, because many people enjoy their job - me for example. I love working in a club...

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Did I mention that I enjoy sleeping, even tho I rarely do it

new topics

top topics

join