It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Re-entrance to Masonry.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Axeman

Actually the GL of Texas voted to fully recognize PH lodges at the GL communication in December.

Unless I'm sorely mistaken PH and A.F. & A.M. lodges in TX now enjoy full recognition and fraternal relations with one another.

They voted to recognize, but without allowing any intervisitation or holding Masonic communication. This is why I said they "sort of recognized" them; what they actually did was "recognize" them, without really recognizing them at all.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Masonic Light

Interesting I had no idea the system was set up like that. Being in Ohio where the two interact regularly I had no idea it was so vastly different down south. Of course, I do not know of a Black regular Freemason either, I do know of at least one Asian, he was in my Scottish Rite class.. and I know of several (all military) Prince Hall members who are white.

But the two groups seemingly get along fine.. there is usually at least one yearly event where we all go to a Prince Hall lodge for a significant inspection or something like that, they may give an extra fine degree to show themselves. And like I said, the MWM of the Prince Hall speaks at our communication.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
For whatever reason a Mason decides to "demit", other commitments, whatever, is there a means in which said person can regain his place in the Brotherhood? I know that a Mason becomes an "apprentice", becomes a member of the "Fellow Craft", then are raised to "Master Mason". Does this have to be redone? Or further, can an ex-Mason rejoin?

Please, serious discussion only. If you aren't a Mason and have something to say, please back it up with credible sources.

A Mason may demit at any time as long as he's in good standing.

He may petition for reinstatement as long as he was properly demitted.

In some cases, a Mason who moves from one jurisdiction to another may not be able to maintain a dual membership due to rules of the Grand Lodge(s) or whatever, so he would have to demit from the Lodge he used to be a member of (and get a letter of good standing or have it mailed to the new Lodge) and petition for membership at the new Lodge.

I don't have any credible sources to back that up.

Your pal,
Meat.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by mmmeat

And where would you get such astute information for being a non-Mason?

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Yeah, we're still struggling here to get updated on the PH recognition. As ML said, it came close, but still lost. I think it is widely known that there are a few people in the GL who are playing games with the voting to stop it from being successful. I can't remember the specifics, but it was either last year or this year that they attempted to play with the number of votes needed for recognition. They were also playing with voting order to stop it. It was pretty pathetic.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Edit: Hit wrong button - mods, please delete post.

[edit on 1-2-2008 by LightinDarkness]

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by mmmeat
In some cases, a Mason who moves from one jurisdiction to another may not be able to maintain a dual membership due to rules of the Grand Lodge(s) or whatever, so he would have to demit from the Lodge he used to be a member of (and get a letter of good standing or have it mailed to the new Lodge) and petition for membership at the new Lodge.

I don't have any credible sources to back that up.

My father was a Past Master of a lodge in PA. We moved from PA to Indiana then Indiana to Virginia.

After one of those moves I remember he demitted from one lodge so he could join another in the other state because the state we moved to did not allow dual membership at that time.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by mmmeat

This happens fairly frequently in my home lodge as many members have moved to warmer climes and as such have demitted from our lodge. This reason is, from my experience, the typical reason for requesting a demit and I can not recall anyone demitting due to lack of interest or the inability to pay dues as we often submit them for elderly or those unable to afford them.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
Once you are a Freemason, you may leave the fraternity, but you aren't going to be rid of that special something.

Not sure what you mean by that. I have an idea but the way "warning" flags are flying, I'll keep it to myself.

Pay the dues and your welcome to come right back unless you've been naughty or dishonest.

True, but only to some extent (at least in my jurisdictions) A Mason may demit (sometimes spelled dimit) from the organization, then come back some time later and ask to be reinstated. BUT, the Lodge still has to vote him back in. He cannot as you say "pay the dues" and simply be re-admitted. So, it's possible a Lodge could vote not to accept him, whatever the reason may be and they do not have to give him a reason.

I, for example, demitted from the Shrine and from the O.E.S. and am considered to be "on demit." I could ask to be reinstated (pay my current dues) and be voted on. If they vote "no" they'll return my dues and send me on my merry way.

One may also be reinstated after being suspended, but I'm pretty sure that an expelled member cannot. Expelled members have lost that "special something."

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Masonic Light

I might be able to clarify why PH masons are considered clandestine...I don't know if I agree with the spirit of technicality, but the GL of Florida doesn't recognize them. Back during the Revolutionary war, when American Lodges were chartered from the GL of England, there was a lodge in one of the colonies, Africa Lodge ( number 49 I think) and Prince Hall was the name of one of the members. Well, somehow they lost their charter, and after the war was over, they applied to the GL of England but were, for some reason or the other, denied. No charter to make their Labor legal, and they were still initiating new members. I don't know the rest of the story, but this is the gist of one of the articles in a past issue of the Scottish Rite (SJ..if it makes a difference) 'magazine' we get every few months or so. Intresting topic, but some people down here just look at it as the 'good ol southern boys' keeping jim crow alive...but I digress...I, for one look forward to the GL recognizing PH, and let Brethren be Brethren.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by keltdiasavere

Prince Hall and 14 other 'free Negroes' were initiated into an Irish military Lodge #441 on March 6, 1775. This Lodge was attached to the 38th Foot Regiment located at Fort Independence in Boston Harbor.

This Lodge granted the 15 newly minted Masons a special dispensation to meet as 'African Lodge.'

After the British Army fled Boston Harbor a year later, Prince Hall and his brethren enlisted in the Continental Army and fought in the Revolutionary War.

After the war ended, Americans created new Grand Lodges. When Prince Hall petitioned a charter from the GL of Massachusetts, they were denied. Repeatedly.

So, in 1784 African Lodge petitioned the Grand Lodge of England for a new charter. It was granted by Duke of Cumberland (aka 'Grand Master of England'). There was some further history about the charter taking years to arrive, dues eventually not paid and African Lodge being striken from the rolls of the UGLE in 1813, By then African Lodge had already authorized two addtional lodges - one in Rhode Island and the other in Pennsylvania.

in 1827 African Lodge declared itself to be it's own Grand Lodge (much like every other GL in the U.S.). In honor of it's founder, African Lodge was renamed Prince Hall Grand Lodge. It is the only American Masonic body that still has it's originl UGLE charter.

Your pal,
Meat.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I'm a little bit confused did Trinityman just get a warn for something he said over two years ago? - seems a little over zealous, plus I am a little unsure of what precident is being set - could we all be censored somewhere down the line?

Sorry to go off topic but I feel this is taking things a little too far.

posted on Feb, 2 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by KilgoreTrout

It does appear so. Given the current sentiment around here, I think I'll stick to reading only for a while. Provided there is anything of interest to read.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join