It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the most disturbing court case i have ever seen

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
i just watched the court tv special on josh phillips. in a nutchell, it is the story of a 14 y/o boy who killed an 8 year old girl and hid the body under his bed for a week. he was convicted of 1st degree murder..

as disturbing as the case itself is, the part that made me sick to my stomach was that when the judge read the verdict, he told the boy that "when judgement day comes, he would be given a much harsher sentence than the state of florida could ever impose, but untill that time his sentence would be life in prison."

im agnostic at best, but i understand how christianity works. if this kid repents and accepts jesus he will be saved. it makes me sick to my stomach that a judge would actually pass the judgement of god onto someone else. its his job to judge the law. its not his job to play god, and any one who does show should never be allowed to have such a position of power.

thoughts, comments?

[edit on 21-10-2005 by jprophet420]

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   
seperation of church and state???

when did those two come together???

never i hope...

even though it was just words, it is still serious...

the judge (judges in general) should be neutral and the jury decides the final say right???

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
yeah, the jury delivered the verdict but the judge spoke on 'Gods' behalf. i know this kind of thing has been around forever, but it's almost too much to take for me.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Ahh, don't let it stress you. You think God is listening to the judge? I wonder how many people the judge has sentenced to death. He'll have to face the same judgement himself, and likely earlier than that 14 year old boy.

Judge not, lest ye be deemed a raving hypocrit....or words to that effect.

[edit on 2005-10-21 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jprophet420
as disturbing as the case itself is, the part that made me sick to my stomach was that when the judge read the verdict, he told the boy that "when judgement day comes, he would be given a much harsher sentence than the state of florida could ever impose, but untill that time his sentence would be life in prison."

Yes it is trully disturbing that someone would find the remarks of the judge so horrible in relation to the facts of the crime.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
the man passed gods judgment along with the state of floridas judgement. thats sickening to me. gods final judgement IS NOT RELATED TO THIS CASE IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM. it is related to the personal choice of josh to repent and accept jesus as his savior.

if you dont find anything wrong with that you are entitled to your opinion.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   
He is not playing God, he is expressing his opinion as to where he thinks the kid is headed. The only one who actually gets to decide where people go when they die is God(if you believe in him).

I find it funny when people who don't believe in God get all bent out of shape if they hear someone say you're gonna go to hell for that (or something to that effect). If someone doesn't believe it should have the same effect as someone telling them to watch out for tornados or they could end up in Oz.

Its probably the judges way of saying that a life sentence just isn't harsh enough for the kid, but thats all he can really give him by law.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   
So, jprophet420, this is “the most disturbing court case” you have ever seen? Because the judge let his personal feeling show where, strictly speaking, he should not have? What about the fact that a child killed another child? What about cases where the murderer gets off without any punishment? What about the cases that never even go to court, like when a politician sends thousands to their death with a stroke of the pen?

Granted, judges like to get self-righteous and throw in a little editorial comment with the sentencing. But that is commonplace. Granted, separation of church and state is often a farce in the U.S. But really, there are many more serious things to get excited about.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   

What about the cases that never even go to court, like when a politician sends thousands to their death with a stroke of the pen?

good point. can you name one time in history when this did not involve a person bringing god into it?

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Hey if Bush can come out and say that God told him to invade Iraq and Afghanistan, then why can't a judge mention such a thing to a boy about to be put away for life? IMO, any remaining separation of church and state there was ended the moment Bush said that. A dangerous precedent, indeed.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Hey if Bush can come out and say that God told him to invade Iraq and Afghanistan, then why can't a judge mention such a thing to a boy about to be put away for life? IMO, any remaining separation of church and state there was ended the moment Bush said that. A dangerous precedent, indeed.

Not to get too political, but Bush didnt start the precedent of talking about God like that.

Many christians like to pass judgement against others, even though the bible directly tells them not to. Unfortunatly, people will still pass judgements and say things in God's name he didn't necessarily want said.

---Pineapple

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL

never i hope...

the real question is when were they ever seperate. the answer to that one is never... the prevalence of religion is every where for this country...
in our pledge of allegiance, on our money...

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 01:18 AM
link   
"religion is every where for this country...
in our pledge of allegiance, on our money... "

As it should be!!! IMO

Olo

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I'm an atheist, but I really don't have a huge problem with it.

Everytime a person in a political or government position asserts their opinion...it is, well, their opinion and nothing more. I don't really see a godly proclamation of doom any different than a secular assertion.

When theological or philosphocial opinions get in the way of the law, regardless of what they may be, that is where the problem lies.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   

What do people actually mean when they say this? I am asking what they expect?

As an example this boy killed someone. Whatever the circumstances were at the time of death, before he actually committed the act, he planned this to some degree. Thoughts that were wrong, and probably environment influenced what he thought and believed. What he took in from all venues formed his opinions of what he believes is right and wrong.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   

the judge (judges in general) should be neutral and the jury decides the final say right???

I'm guessing the judge, like myself, was disgusted with the crime. Though the law is athiestic, judges are not told they cannot hold religious views. Just because a judge said this in a jury trial doesn't mean it had any impact on the jury since it came at sentancing.

Though, jprophet420, I do agree. If the kid repents, he's golden. However, like I said, I suspect the judge was disgusted with the act and just reacted after reading the sentence. Athiest or religious, this kid, without repentance, is doomed for his eternity. Either he'll be in prision, or prision will seem like a cakewalk compared to what comes next. Difference between the law and Christ is that there's forgiveness.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 11:11 PM
link   
being a non believer myself I think The judge was trying to strike fear into the boy,
trying the only thing he thought mihgt have worked.
I do believe he wasn't speaking for someone in a higher position.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jprophet420
it makes me sick to my stomach that a judge would actually pass the judgement of god onto someone else. its his job to judge the law. its not his job to play god...

a general statement about damnation in the case of no repentence to God should be taken as the "religious opinion" of the judge. but "focused" or specific judgement is outside of even his powers. in this situation, this judge is in error. or at least if he claims to be a christian. otherwise, i suppose that anything goes and more power to him for being able to state his view from a position of power.

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 06:23 AM
link   
jprophet420,
It is very bad thing that the boy did and I would think a lot of peole would agree with me. Even though the Judge had absoluty no reason or point to make when he made that statment, it just solidfies in my mind that the Law is being made from and carried out by the court system. Some how in our modern times the Judges of our courts are playing God with the unlucky ones that they must stand before. I would like to know who made them God. They have so much power they can pretty much do whatever they want. The very powers that put them in this exalted position are just as guilty as the judge imho. It is going to perpetuate itself if the citizens who put them in office hold them accountable for their actions and make it known that they can get voted out just as fast as theyas they got voted in- almost.
This also brings up the question of the seperation of the powers of Church and State. I am from SW Va. and Jerry Falwell is always begging for money for use at HIS college in Lynchburg, Va. All at the same time, enjoying the tax free income. This is a very sweet deal for him. Then there is Pat Robertson. I just think he must be doing some serious drugs or he is an ex. cast-member of the Men In Black I,II.

posted on Nov, 11 2005 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Pardon me for not reading all the replies, but I couldn't stomach many more.
JP, you are correct in that the judge is not to judge in that respect. He has no idea if the inmate is going to repent and accept Christ.

As far as the other member's remark about separation of Church and State, let me remind you of the fact that your concept, as you understand it, is a new concept in our nation's history. You are simply a product of the teaching of miseducation. That is to say, the ones who want to destroy the nation have lied to you and tyou have bought it.
Here's a little trivia question: When the judge enters the courtroom, why does the bailif command all to rise? Is it to show respect to the judge? No. Then why? Because, in the early days, the judge would enter the courtroom carrying the Holy Bible above his head; the people were rising in honor of the Bible, not the judge.
A bit of historical trivia, not taught today as it would conflict with the BS they'd rather you believe.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join