It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which Bible?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by crusader

Who authorized the King James Version?

errrr..... I'd take a wild stab and say "King James".

www.av1611.org...

[edit on 21-10-2005 by Leveller]

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
King James authorized the Bible, but it was God's will and good pleasure for him to do so. King James is one of those people who were appointed "for such a time as this." Not all the heroes of the faith are written up in Scripture. God hasn't stopped working, and God certainly hasn't forgotten about His Word. God's Word will endure forever in Heaven, and right now here on earth we have it. We can open the Bible and read God's own words -- perfect and infallible. I love and trust my KJB. God would not leave me without Scripture to go through the last days, to face the antiChrist and his henchmen, without it.

df1

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller

Who authorized the King James Version?

errrr..... I'd take a wild stab and say "King James".

Leveller, I know this is off topic, but Id appreciate it if you could help me out? Who is buried in "Grant's Tomb"?

[edit on 21-10-2005 by df1]

df1

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by resistance
I love and trust my KJB.

Are people that do not subscribe to the KJB going to hell?

Is it possible that God inspired different bibles for different people?

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   

King James authorized the Bible, but it was God's will and good pleasure for him to do so. King James is one of those people who were appointed "for such a time as this." Not all the heroes of the faith are written up in Scripture. God hasn't stopped working, and God certainly hasn't forgotten about His Word. God's Word will endure forever in Heaven, and right now here on earth we have it. We can open the Bible and read God's own words -- perfect and infallible. I love and trust my KJB. God would not leave me without Scripture to go through the last days, to face the antiChrist and his henchmen, without it.

Uhh so he was saying he was appointed, inspired whatever by God? Gimme a break!!! Prove that to me!!!

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Ever notice parts of the Bible ring true and have a calming effect while other parts make ya confused, tormented and full of fear. What if God and the Devil wrote the Bible and its nothing more than a test to see who really belongs to God and who really belongs to the Devil.

I always try to use scripture to bring hope peace and unconditional love...anything outside of that I think is of the darkside.

just a thought

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Uhh so he was saying he was appointed, inspired whatever by God? Gimme a break!!! Prove that to me!!!

I don't beileve King James thought he was or that he said he was. Neither did any of the 54 brilliant linguists appointed by King James think they were anything special. Doesn't matter. It's obvious to us looking back what God was doing. Just because they could not see what was happening does not make it any the less a miracle in motion of God preserving His Word.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   

I don't beileve King James thought he was or that he said he was. Neither did any of the 54 brilliant linguists appointed by King James think they were anything special. Doesn't matter. It's obvious to us looking back what God was doing. Just because they could not see what was happening does not make it any the less a miracle in motion of God preserving His Word.

King James did it for his own lusts and purposes, The bible is not what it is supposed to be,.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Your all ignoring the Jewish side of this, the Jews believe that the first five books, the gospels, are the true bible, they say in their teachings that the prophets of their time gave a false book to king James and put the words of the people in red and not capitalized, you see king James wanted a bible for himself, but the Jews wanted to preserve their faith so they gave him a false or not true version of their bible. So if you believe in history then the Jews were correct and Christians screwed up their bible. So King James got his bible from the Jews and added stuff on to it (the New Testament) and if you’re a Jew then you don’t believe that Jesus was the true messiah and that’s why there are different bibles. So which ever fits your beliefs is the best for you.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 08:16 AM
link   
It's best to know Greek and Hebrew or have the tools in front of you.

Sometimes there are no exact words to describe what is being said. That is why you see some translations saying things slightly different ways. The end result is they all say the same thing just in different ways. When it comes to specific key words then its best to research the actual Greek or Hebrew word to make sure all is correct. As far as the King James version being the most accurate ... ha ha.

I use this one:

www.isr-messianic.org...

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   
christians get themselves around any minor detail. first they'll say the bible is the word of god. then you show them all those different bibles ever written, and do they all contain the word or god etc... then they just say 'well to find the real god, you won't find him in a book, you need to search elsewhere'. it doesn't make sense but that's just their general way of getting around everything.

can't disprove evolution, o.k we'll come up with the idea of ID which god set in place, and we'll say that genesis was an ancient way of describing this. quick get some money of people in church from donations so we can build some bigger places of worship, have more money, and we can then start brainwashing people with all this rubbish of ID and that you won't find god in the bible, you need to look elsewhere...

pathetic. i can't believe in such a rational world we live in today, that you could believe in something so unrational. welcome to the 21st century christians, it's called 'reality'. maybe you could try and get a 'grip' of it.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by resistance
God hasn't stopped working, and God certainly hasn't forgotten about His Word. God's Word will endure forever in Heaven, and right now here on earth we have it.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. - John 1:1

And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth. - John 1:14

Underlining by me.

Since the Bible is not God, and cannot take human form, the Bible cannot be the Word of God.

The Word of God is the Solar Logos, the Christ.

"Literal biblical innerancy is idolatry." - spamandham

Inverencial Peace,
Akashic

[edit on 20/1/2006 by AkashicWanderer]

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by GameSetMatch
King James Version 1611

All the other versions are poorly writen books I do not even concerder them a Bible.

NIV is the most popular one that I see; its twisted truths and removal of scripture is disturbing.

why are they poorly written?

why don't you consider them a bible?

how does the NIV contain twisted truths?

imho, unless linguistics is a form of witchcraft, the kjv is the most inaccurate translation. it doesn't go back far enough to the original texts, the greek and hebrew, for proper translation, and it was translated by people who weren't experts in ancient languages.

though, when it was translated, it was a good job for people at the time.

now we can do better.

so unless you think god intended people to read the bible in english, don't say that kjv is the only way to go.

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Doesn't it say in Revelations 22:18 -19 that if any man take from or add to the bible he would be plagued and things like that. Or does this only happen for the book of revelations itself? For there has been many deletions and insertions ( assumptions) in the history of the bible. One of the biggest glaring insertions is the titles of the gospels "the Gospel according to SAINT Mark, Luke, John etc". So these people knew they were saints before the church even bothered with sainthoods , amazing isn't it.

It doesnt really matter which bible you use as long as the message is the same. But as Im a non believer "who cares what bible you use".

G

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   
So sorry Ladies and Gentlemen. All the theories are basically incorrect.

Although Dan Brown has caused a furore within Holy places, what cannot be denied, is that the first modern translation from Attic Greek and Roman Latin was conducted by some Pope in Rome in order to unify the Roman Church - hence known as the Holy Roman Apastolic Catholic Church or the Holy Catholic Church of the Roman Apostles. [Who are or were they?]

I cannot be bothered to re-read the books such as Code Breaker, Da Vinci Codes etc, but the basic facts and figures are in there together with dates.

It is from this cobbled together bible that we come down through the centuries to the versions we have today.

But let me ask you all this. What is the bible and what does it contain?

posted on Feb, 11 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   
This software has them all and can compare differences with the click of a button:

www.bibleworks.com...

It has Hebrew and Greek as well, so no guessing. When you put the pointer over the word it gives the English meaning. There are add-on modules as well. One of which is the Oldest Greek manuscripts of the New Testament dated Pre 325 A.D. from 1st cent. to 3rd cent.

Even the Dead Sea Scrolls are available.

Here is sample Video of interface:

www.bibleworks.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 01:59 AM
link   
You posted:

"pathetic. i can't believe in such a rational world we live in today, that you could believe in something so unrational. welcome to the 21st century christians, it's called 'reality'. maybe you could try and get a 'grip' of it."

You need some serious help here. There is very little rational in the world we live in here in the 21st century. Even with non believers running it..not much rational going on out here. You must have taken a huge bite out of the public school de evolutionary apple. This world is an has always been a cesspool..nothing new here. What on this earth could you possibly be thinking making a statement like that.
Think it through...

Thanks,
Orangetom

D

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by df1
It seems that we have many Words of God just within the christain faith without the need to consider any other religions.

New International Version
New American Standard Bible
The Message
Amplified Bible
New Living Translation
King James Version
English Standard Version
Contemporary English Version
New King James Version
21st Century King James Version
American Standard Version
Young's Literal Translation
Darby Translation
New Life Version
Holman Christian Standard Bible
New International Reader's Version
Wycliffe New Testament
Worldwide English (New Testament)
New International Version

This list is not all inclusive, so feel free to add your own personal choice.

Are all of these bibles the Word of God?

Is one bible more the Word of God than another?

Are some of these bibles the work of the devil?

Will a christian go to hell for using the bible?

They're just different translations catering to the audience of the time. For example, the Message uses everyday modern language and is quite conversational to a degree. It could be useful for someone who's new to Christianity and finds maybe New International Version a little too intellectual. All these versions basically cater to certain groups withint Christianity, to different age groups, to different education levels and even different eras.

No christian will "go to hell"for using a any of these Bibles reading a different version won't mean you go to hell.

Personally I use the English Standard Version when I'm at church and Bible study, cause it has a literal translation from the Greek manuscripts in terms of the New Testament and gets the point through (personal preference). When I do my devotions I use the New Living translation because it's not so intellectual and uses colloquial language.

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Will somebody please, please, please explain this New Testament business to me?

It does not exist in the original writings and in the original texts. This modern take on the Old Testament was something to do with and dreamed up to lessen the fire and brimstone effect of the Old Testament.

Nobody seems to be able to answer my original question. What, IYO, is the Bible?

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by fritz
Will somebody please, please, please explain this New Testament business to me?

It does not exist in the original writings and in the original texts. This modern take on the Old Testament was something to do with and dreamed up to lessen the fire and brimstone effect of the Old Testament.

Nobody seems to be able to answer my original question. What, IYO, is the Bible?

The easy answer to what is the bible is that it is a collection of stories that people adhere to nothing else. The new testament is the christian addition to the concept of god in that god has now made a covenant with jesus and his followers instead of the patriarchs as in the old testament just as the koran is the islamic addition of the concept.

G

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join