It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wow, people really do hate classical...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I always assumed some adults would enjoy it, but no one, not a single person I have ever met enjoys listening to anything older than 100 years. Not even good stuff like Chopin, Beethoven, Brahms, nothing...

Even when I play it, and people say "oh its nice" its obvious they do not enjoy it.

I understand 90% of it is boring enough to make you want to kill yourself, but the select few are glazed over too.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Depends on my mood. I sometimes will only listen to classical music.
Problem that you are running into is socialogical. Most of my generation were raised on jazz and rocknroll. Popular music and tv, gave classical music as well as opera a bad rap.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
When I was a kid my mother used to play classical music while she cleaned the house, and she played it as loud as it would go.

Even the cartoons had classical music, like Bugs Bunny.

Granted, most of my friends don't like it, but I listen to it all the time.

OPERA ROCKS.....

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I enjoy classical.

I think a lot of people don't enjoy it because they aren't really used to old un-amplified instruments. Or they expect a lot of classical music to be some stereotypical Haydn-esque piece and aren't really interested I guess. And so they miss out on Mozart's Requiem and Beethoven's late quartets. ;(

Edit:

Even the cartoons had classical music, like Bugs Bunny.

Those cartoons were awesome!

kill da waaaabbit.... killll da waaaaaabbit.........

[edit on 19-10-2005 by bsbray11]

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I tell you what, want to hear some "good" classical music?
Look up P.D.Q. Bach
Classical music Stooge style.
PDQ Bach

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I do love to listen to classical music. Mainly it's based on mood, but I do love Bach, Mozart, Beethoven etc.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Classical/Opera alone I hate it, but put it into the context of a great movies or videogame and that makes all the difference for the mood. I don't actually Like music that much, it's way to passive for me. BTW I attended the Star Wars concert in Toronto and it was awesome! They don't call it a space opera for nuthin you know

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 07:17 AM
link   
There are lots of morons out there who refuse to listen to classical stuff because its old, or because they get upset when there are more instruments than they have limbs.

Its a real shame, since some classical tunes are amazing.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I really enjoy listening to classical music, my dad really likes it, and my uncle plays it alot on his trumpet when he can and is the only thing he listens to. I also enjoy opera, and I'm the only person who I know that likes opera. I do perfer to listen to metal and classic rock though.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I love classical guitar. I still play a bit to practice up my chops.

Amazing skill, that I wish I had. :shk:

I swear if some of the stuff was amplified it would be chart topping.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Classical music is awesome.

I'm mostly into early music from the 17th and 18th century like Bach, Vivaldi, Handel, Purcel and lots of other Baroque composers.

G.F Handel!!

I play some classical guitar too, Al Di Meleo and De Lucia are technically amazing!!

I like Paganini alot too.

[edit on 1-11-2005 by Spreadthetruth]

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I love it !
I was in the San Bernadino County Orchestra once !
Haaahaa
Buuuut then that instrument got smashed in half ....

But yes !
It makes me want to dance spaztically
I dont know why...
But yeah
Its fun

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Ok, big generalisation time....
People just slag off classical music because they don't know anything about it and because it's not "cool" to listen to classical music, they don't wish to give it a chance. In actual fact theres some amazing stuff out there... if you're looking for emotion, you need step no further than Beethoven - the guy was actually a genius. Wagner too, loaded with fantastic harmonies and raw emotion. Listen to his Prelude to Tristan und Isolde... it's not exactly easy listening stuff but only by listening to this stuff can you appreciate what real musical genius is all about. It makes you feel the music in a way you've never felt it before and is certainly worth giving a chance.

As a violinist, I love a good ol' bit of Bach - the unaccompanied Sonatas and Partitas = yum! It's clear to see where some of the theory for these magnificent prog rock/technical tracks of today stems back too. Prog rock/technical rock etc bands think that they've found the jackpot but composers in the classical tradition found it a couple of hundred years ago in truth.

Give it a bash...

[edit on 8-3-2006 by misshannah]

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer
I love classical guitar. I still play a bit to practice up my chops.

Amazing skill, that I wish I had. :shk:

I swear if some of the stuff was amplified it would be chart topping.

That's actually a good idea I think. I'm sure if a rapper made a mix of it and started rapping to maybe Moonlite Sonata, hip hop style, that it would be huge.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I am 43 and I love classical music.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I onlly like the classicals that are awesome like

O Fortuna
Anvil Chorus
Neodammerung
and so forth

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by misshannah

As a violinist, I love a good ol' bit of Bach - the unaccompanied Sonatas and Partitas = yum! It's clear to see where some of the theory for these magnificent prog rock/technical tracks of today stems back too. Prog rock/technical rock etc bands think that they've found the jackpot but composers in the classical tradition found it a couple of hundred years ago in truth.

Give it a bash...

[edit on 8-3-2006 by misshannah]

I've just been learning Violin Sonata No. 1 on guitar.

hail:
Bach

join