It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ocean warming threatens Antarctic wildlife

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Ocean warming threatens Antarctic wildlife

· Sea ice melts and glaciers shrink at accelerating rate
· Decline in stocks of krill hits entire food chain

David Adam, environment correspondent
Wednesday October 19, 2005
The Guardian

Scientists working in Antarctica have discovered an alarming rise in sea temperature that threatens to disrupt populations of penguins, whales, seals and a host of smaller creatures within a few decades.
The new study shows the ocean west of the Antarctic Peninsula has warmed by more than a degree since the 1960s - confounding computer models and experts who believed that a combination of ice, winds and currents would keep the water cool and shield fragile marine creatures from the effects of climate change. This is the first evidence that the key Southern Ocean is getting warmer: a finding with potentially severe implications for wildlife.

Lloyd Peck, a marine biologist with the British Antarctic Survey, said: "The sea temperature is going up in a way that wasn't predicted and this makes me more worried for the marine animals. The evidence we've got and the models we've been looking at said sea temperature was not likely to change much in the Antarctic. A one degree increase puts us into the region where the animals are pushed to one end of their biological, physiological and ecological capabilities."

More...

This day is just filled with great news....
I wonder what else we have wrong in our models....

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

I wonder what else we have wrong in our models....

Which models do you mean? The ones we get spoonfed with, by the media and our corporate-controlled governments? Or the ones used by actuarials - to determine insurance policy terms and rates, and for global business strategizing?

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   
It is not just the Antartica that is being affected....also the Arctic. I have seen articles about the ice melting, the glaciers are receeding, the permafrost is melting, etc. There is concern for the polarbears, as they live on the ice and use it to hunt seals.

I believe the "global warming" is going to be devastating for many species.

Here's more about it:

www.findarticles.com...

Faeryland

new topics

join