It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Investigators Search for Canadian Lake Monster

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Canada's Lake Simcoe, some forty miles north of Toronto, supposedly holds a monster known as Igopogo (after its more famous relative Ogopogo, in Lake Okanagan, British Columbia) as well as other appellations. Residents of Beaverton, on the eastern shore, call it Beaverton Bessie, while others refer to it as Kempenfelt Kelly, after Kempenfelt Bay, which has the lake's deepest water and claims the most sightings.

Sources refer vaguely to early "Indian legends" of the monster and sporadic reports of a "sea serpent" in the lake during the nineteenth century. Important sightings occurred in 1952 and 1963, and a "sonar sounding of a large animal" in 1983 was followed by a videotape in 1991 of "a large, seal-like animal."

Article

More in the article. I actually never heard of this one before. Im not from the area.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Until you posted this, I never heard of IGOPOGO. That was a very interesting article you linked to.
I went to www.americanmonsters.com. On the Home page is a map. If you click on it you will be taken to another, larger map. Under this one are drawings of several "monsters". Click on the Lake Monster. The map will have dots pinpointing some reported sightings. Hover your curser over them and the monster for that area will be named. Click on it to read a short article. The IGOPOGO article has a picture. Since OGOPOGO is also mentioned in the article you referenced, I looked it up also. That article is a bit longer.
www.parascope.com/en/cryptozoo/index.htm has an area with "Sea Monsters" also. OGOPOGO is there, as is MANIPOGO from Lake Manitoba. In the Manitogo article WINIPOGO from Lake Winnipegosis mentioned. I could find nothing here about IGOPOGO. It seems that Canada has several Lake Monsters to be proud of.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   
i live in Barrie (it surrounds kempenfelt bay, at the bottom of lake simcoe) we use kepenfelt kelly in alot of stuff..... hes portrayed as a big purple nessie. i dont know anyone who has seen it. but the stories have been around since people first settled in barrie. 150 years ago (give or take a year)

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I remember hearing about this a few years back, when I used to live in Barrie.

I, too, never met anyone who'd ever seen it. It was just old stories floating around that would get brought up from time to time. I don't know how many people actually took it seriously.

Lake Simcoe is a beautiful lake... there's still quite good fishing. According to the one article I looked at, there was a video tape. i'd never heard that before. This might call for further investigation next time I'm in Barrie and have time to stop at the library.

top topics

join