It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia's looming police state

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   
What? Did you think that all Western nations weren't targeted for such a demise? Come on, get real.
Citizens of Western nations have this iritating quality of being of Christian heritage and feel the need to enjoy the liberties God gave us. Boogey-men must be created and then draconian measures can be set in place to "protect" us. In a few years, we won't even recognize our nations.

Australia is moving towards a police state with harsh anti-terrorism laws that could be pushed through parliament too quickly, the Law Council says.

Australian Federal Police will also be able to carry out what are termed preventative detention orders, effectively locking up people thought to be involved or to have knowledge of a terrorist act.

The Law Council president said he was particularly concerned about shoot to kill provisions in the draft legislation, and the plan to allow children as young as 16 to be detained without charge for up to 14 days.

www.theage.com.au...

Turn on your TV and watch your favorite sitcom. Ignore your children while they light up and mindlessly watch M-TV. It'll all be over in a few years so sit back and relax. It'll hurt less, right?

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 12:09 AM
link   
It could never happen Aussies in mass will pick up their arms and fight this evil police state ..... O wait never mind

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I've told friends and family about how the new laws are stupid and will only take away our freedom, but they don't care or understand.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
It could never happen Aussies in mass will pick up their arms and fight this evil police state ..... O wait never mind

Well in reality we can't, cause Jackboot Johnny made most of our guns illegal to own.

I discussed this issue at work today at lunchtime and most the guys think it's OK cause if your not doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about

By the same token they also think that the terrorists attack westerners because of our freedoms

my conclusion is "We are screwed"

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Psychoses
I discussed this issue at work today at lunchtime and most the guys think it's OK cause if your not doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about

my conclusion is "We are screwed"

Jews in Germany thought the same thing when they were ordered to give up their weapons. We know the outcome.

Your prognosis is pretty accurate if folks don't wake up and smell what the Rock-heads are cookin'!

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Psychoses Im sure the reason they ordered people to surrender their private guns was to make people safer right?

Just wondering has the violent crime (robbery,murder) rates dropped since the confiscation?

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 12:42 AM
link   
You are correct, Thomas.

Most aussies are too interested in soap operas and football to concern themselves with the loss of their civil liberties.

We haven't even had a terror attack here so I don't understand why such draconian measures are being implemented.

I guess this really is all part of the NWO.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Psychoses Im sure the reason they ordered people to surrender their private guns was to make people safer right?

Just wondering has the violent crime (robbery,murder) rates dropped since the confiscation?

Sadly, this is not the case.

Illegal handgun ownership is rife. They are available at relatively cheap prices and are not hard to locate.

We still have guns that were handed in to the police during the amnesty which were supposed to be destroyed turning up on the black market.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 12:55 AM
link   
The lack of results in reference to crime was not a surprise to those who forced it on the Aussies; it wasn't meant to drop crime rates. Crime is good for them; it is a problem and gives them the opportunity to provide the "solution".

seems there are few sancuaries in the world today.

Maybe Mirthful Monkey has a point; Belize is sounding like the ticket!

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 01:24 AM
link   
The easiest way to prevent a revolution is to disarm the population.

Don't get me wrong, Australia is a wonderful place to live(at the moment) but I can see changes that are being implemented ever so slowly so as not to arouse the public. This legislation will basically allow them to detain people who the government might regard as dissidents, but once labelled terrorist/insurgent(sympathiser) they can be easily silenced.

It's just not cricket!

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I don't usually dabble in thread cross-pollination, but I've posted an initial analysis of the leaked anti-terror Bill here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This Bill needs to be stopped before it becomes legislation, particularly in regards to "preventative detention". It's a slippery slope we're starting on here.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 02:01 AM
link   
well i dont know about you guys but we still got guns on our land, legal ones, ones that can kill people,

as for never been a terrorist attack on our soil, isnt it better that way?

this act is an extension sorta of the one allready in place, currently people can be detained for 7 days without charge or any thing

maybe these laws are the reason there hasnt been an attack?

i think these laws are pretty sever, but to say we are heading to a police state is a fairly big overstatement i think

what does a police state actually consist of?

i imagine it is where your very tighly controlled and arrested for the slightest misdemenour.

what i want to know is who is going to see you? and who is going to arest you
there isnt one cop or soldier for ever person in the country

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by tiddly54
well i dont know about you guys but we still got guns on our land, legal ones, ones that can kill people,

as for never been a terrorist attack on our soil, isnt it better that way?

this act is an extension sorta of the one allready in place, currently people can be detained for 7 days without charge or any thing

maybe these laws are the reason there hasnt been an attack?

i think these laws are pretty sever, but to say we are heading to a police state is a fairly big overstatement i think

what does a police state actually consist of?

i imagine it is where your very tighly controlled and arrested for the slightest misdemenour.

perhaps you know that ancient cultures institutionalised sacrifices to appease the gods and keep mayhem away - and how modern times tend to look down upn such superstition.

the terror laws are just that, rules, i magine murder is still illegal, a few additional charges wouldn't deter you, if you were a terrorist, would they? in the same vein, a terrorist is by default paranoid it's kinda easy to come up with ways to encrypt short messages (book code, overlay handwriting and a neat little picture, etc,), and pretty much do what you want as long as you have funds and equipment, i imagine a terror network can supply its agents with weapons if so desired.

so, in short, the terror laws are only affecting the peaceful and unaware. on top of that, a 'law' which allows things like indefinite detention without trial is not 'severe', it's barbaric despotism.

for the record, 'polic state' is an euphemism for 'dictatorship', it means anyone can be hauled off to anywhere, to be held captive or killed (of course including proponents of the system, if they know too much) there are no limitations to the ruling class of a dictatorship.

[edit on 18-10-2005 by Long Lance]

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I would not normally speak out on an issue such as this. I am personally in favour of the concept of the War on Terrorism. I think it was right to overthrow Saddam Hussein, for example. I acknowledge that this was not the reason we were given for the invasion of Iraq, but if it had been I would have supported it fully. Having thusly stated my feelings on the war in general, I find myself needing to speak out against these laws.

There are people all over the world who look to Australia as a beacon of hope and freedom. We know this because we are fortunate to have immigrants who have come from many parts of the world to make Australia their home. This country means more than land, or people. Australia is more than just a physical country. It is more than the sum of the people who live here. Australia is an idea, a concept, a way of life. Australia stands for something, or should at any rate.

There has never been a terrorist attack on Australian soil. The goals of Jemaah Islamiah have more to do with the establishment of an extremist Indonesian caliphate then they have to do with Australia. Maybe the terrorists do not want to destroy us. Maybe what they really want is for us to destroy ourselves, to change the face of this country by corrupting those things for which we should stand. Australia should be an example of temperance and wisdom and strength. These laws run counter to those ideals.

We sit here and find ourselves appalled at the legal systems of our neighbours. We decry Indonesia as brutal, backwards, corrupt. Yet we allow ourselves to be talked into accepting laws which allow our representatives to hold people without charge? We allow ourselves to be talked into believing that the only way we can be safe is if we compromise the very ideals that make this country as great as it assuredly is? These ideals are not mere playthings. They are not the sole province of activists or greenies or uni students. My grandfather fought for this country in World War 2 to preserve those ideals. A great many people have shed blood to ensure that freedom exists in this country and we owe it to those people to treat that freedom with more than simple lipservice.

If we casually allow these laws to be passed, without protest or indignation or appropriate review, then we don't have to wait for the terrorists. We will be striking at the heart of what this country should represent and those foundations are more than pretty turns of phrase or philisophical whimsy.

[edit on 18/10/05 by Jeremiah25]

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah25
I would not normally speak out on an issue such as this. I am personally in favour of the concept of the War on Terrorism. I think it was right to overthrow Saddam Hussein, for example. I acknowledge that this was not the reason we were given for the invasion of Iraq, but if it had been I would have supported it fully. Having thusly stated my feelings on the war in general, I find myself needing to speak out against these laws.

amen

i have a hunch imperialism would be much more widely accepted if the people @ home didn't have to suffer these dangerous idiocies(oops did i say that) makes you wonder who are their targets, and if you're personally among them - as for saddam, i mean the west gave the power (vs the mullahs of iran) and again took it, big deal, although the handling of the iraq campaign leads me to conclude though, that, unless the primary objective was to create another theocracy and a totally destabilised middle east, it has to be an unmitigated irrecoverable disaster.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Psychoses
We haven't even had a terror attack here

A little bit of history from 1978...

A terrorist-style bombing attempt of a visiting political leader left 3 men dead when an explosion went off outside the Sydney Hilton Hotel. The purported target of the bombing was the then Prime Minister of India, Moraji Desai, who was staying at the Hilton for a Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting. A policeman and 2 council workers died, and another policeman was injured, when the bomb hidden in a litter bin outside the hotel, in George St, exploded later than planned.

EMA Disasters Database

Sydney Hilton bombing facts and links.

Sanc'.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
In the 104 years since federation, a single, minor terrorist attack, 30 years ago, and against a visiting foreign dignitary simply does not constitute justification for turning our entire system of justice completely on its head, locking people up based on "suspicions", and putting tracking devices on citizens that have not been proven guilty of any crime, IMHO.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Bah.. I too have spoken to people..in the little time I have left before I can be arrested for having such conversations and they are in the mindset if they don't do anything wrong then it won't affect them.

But what can we do. Nothing. There is nothing we can do. The people who have the money to do something about it, don't want to because they can lost the source of that money..job/position/social and the rest of the people can't afford to fight back.

Honestly I am getting sick of living in this stupid nonsensical society. But the worse thing is once again I have to, no other options and no money to even travel to some farout distant corner of the country to set up in peace and quiet.

I am tired of being told what to do all the time, I am tired of being controlled, I am tired of people controlling my children, I am just so tired of the thing that society is developing into.

Its a freejack society. Soon when we run out of credits, our chip will be switched off......

[edit on 2-11-2005 by Mayet]

new topics

top topics

join