It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Non Members - What's Stopping You From Joining ATS ???

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 11:36 PM
link   
anxietydisorder:

On a more serious note, I think the answer is quite simple...

After all, ATS *is* a conspiracy site. It logically attracts those who are naturally suspicious in nature. This quality runs from the most mild (curiosity) to the most extreme (paranoia). I'd be willing to bet that many are suspicious of the site itself! Even I debated for a long time before signing up, just because I had to give a real email address.

[edit on 17-10-2005 by loam]

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
Even I debated for a long time before signing up, just because I had to give a real email address.

www.mailinator.net...

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 01:27 AM
link   
ATS needs more active, courageous members willing to post their thoughts, but this recruiting process is likely to be a long one, absent some catastrophic and catalyzing event – like a new Pearl Harbor.

[edit on 2005-10-18 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
ATS needs more active, courageous members willing to post their thoughts, but this recruiting process is likely to be a long one, absent some catastrophic and catalyzing event – like a new Pearl Harbor.

That can be arranged...

Joking aside, they will end up joining the problem is the new process can result in some worthwhile people never getting accepted. We just have to hope the vast majority of people will find at least 1 thread that they like so much that they have no choice but to join and deny ignorance.

...or we could just start drafting people in from the real world and letting them join ATS. But those outside people are dirty.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 03:20 AM
link   
You know, you non-members, they are all right. I think that you are not registered because you are afraid of the feds, the government. Well, that's exactly what they want you to be, afraid of them!

And besides, if you think that they spy on this site, well, don't you think that they have your IP numbers anyway, just for showing interest? There are more of us than there are of them. So, stop playing Ostrich, sign up and give us your input. You could help in ways that you never thought of.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 03:38 AM
link   
OK I think we have to make a new rule....

DONT ENCOURAGE non members to join!!!!

Look when you are a member you don't see all those adverts, you get access eventually to the secret forum, you get to have a neat avatar, and then there is the wild chat room, and so many other things.

Its better if the readers just stay as non members, click on the adverts for us, don't know about the all the benefits and just READ our posting gems.

We have an audience of thousands, I think they should stay there and not participate.

[edit on 18-10-2005 by Netchicken]

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Hey, don't forget about the virgin goats!!!

For every 5 new members, Mala will sacrifice one genuine virgin goat

[edit on 18/10/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Considering how wildly this post has rambled from its original question, I'm not sure if this matters anymore, but I lurked on here for ages before signing up. Why didn't I join? Well for starters, the passive experience of reading about the news stories and comments on the many and various aspects of the board was enough to keep me satiated. Also, when I did try and register I was rejected because I didn't state a reason for wanting to join.

So there you have it. I didn't join because I was meak & submissive, as well as being dumb and not following instructions properly.

Oh and by the way, isn't it a little odd that you are asking non-members for their opinions on why they haven't joined? It isn't as though you are going to get an answer as you need to be a member to post! Maybe they could try online telepathy?

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I just talked to a non-member.

He said he's too busy with his two jobs and going to school in the mornings.

He suggests a scenario where everyone in the world is given a room, a bed, food, water, utilities, cable tv, the internet, and entertainment vouchers.

Then, the capitalism could begin.

Or

We continue to lie, cheat, steal, and horde all the pointless pretty little luxury items we can fit into our three homes and a cottage by the lake. We continue making money out of thin air and spending it on shares of nothing.

Or

We could knock united, on the doors of the governments of the world, and demand their guns.

He says.

Maybe he'll join tomorrow.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB
Aint no Viiiiiirrrgiiiiins up in heEeEere!!!!

This made me laugh my arse off.

On a slightly, SLIGHTLY more serious note... yeah. It's probably good because if everyone who looked at the site signed up, we would have a huge number of idiots here, just like every other community. I like ATS because people here are logical and seem to be at least slightly above average intelligence. If you want a ton of members, just advertise BTS as some cute little forum for 12 year olds, and you'll get all the members you want. The amount of members you have is directly proportional to the quality of the group (Less = more). If we had TOO many people, the boards would be scrolling down completely through every 5 minutes with a whole list of new threads.
On a good note, I have gotten my friend to sign up for ATS last night and he made his first podcast before he was even accepted. Although I doubt he will be an active member and is probably just doing it for the iPod contest. lol.

I think the reason most people don't come is because it is technically a "conspiracy community". They think it is completely serious 100% of the time and filled with a bunch of nuts (the second part may be true, actually
). If we advertised the hugely vast area that it covers, I think more people would be inclined to join. Because we basically offer what every other forum offers through BTS, plus all of the "crazy" stuff on ATS.

Look when you are a member you don't see all those adverts, you get access eventually to the secret forum, you get to have a neat avatar, and then there is the wild chat room, and so many other things.

... how the heck do you get to that chat room, anyway. I still can't find how to get into it. lol. I can just see who is in it, below the "Who's Online"? thing discussed here. Nor can I seem to create an ATS email, which is supposed to be buyable in the ATS Store

[edit on 18-10-2005 by Yarcofin]

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I'm going to share my input on it. ATS can be a bit overwhelming. I lurked for years; yes years before joining. There seems to be so many rules and such that I was actually scared to join. So I just read. After I learned a bit from reading posts and seeing why people were banned and warned, etc.; I learned what to and what not to do. I still make mistakes, but like I said it's very overwhelming. Just my 2 cents.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
This made me laugh my arse off.

On a slightly, SLIGHTLY more serious note... yeah. It's probably good because if everyone who looked at the site signed up, we would have a huge number of idiots here, just like every other community. I like ATS because people here are logical and seem to be at least slightly above average intelligence.

So what is the point of "Denying Ignorance" unless the masses get to know the truth?

People will get "dragged" up to our level, we will not fall down to their level if we really are more intelligent.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I think that many non-members are too lazy to sign up. I have a cousin who was like that. Eventualy I got into a conversation with him on RuneScape. I told him he should go on other sites instead of RS and he replied by saying he goes on ATS. Needless to say I angered/annoyed him so much that he signed-up at the spot.
However, the genious didn't know how to activate it.
(Apparently he doesn't understand how the "settings" work). Anywho, I'm sure he'll make use of his account eventually.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Hello

I think the graphical aspect is important. When you watch ATS as a non-member, you can't see the great features that appears once you're member and logged in (the beautiful avatars, all the colors, etc). The non-member just see a grey background and text.

Members see fewer ads and have access to a wealth of perks and services such as upload space, blogs, webmail, custom features, contests, and more. Click here to join now.

This is a good notice, but adding a special link showing all these things "graphically" could be more attractive for the visitor.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by kedfr
Oh and by the way, isn't it a little odd that you are asking non-members for their opinions on why they haven't joined? It isn't as though you are going to get an answer as you need to be a member to post! Maybe they could try online telepathy?

Not odd at all.....
The reason I started this thread was in the hope that some of those that lurk on the outside looking in would sign-up and give a response to my query. I'm not out on a big membership drive or anything, but I thought this thread might encourage a few of the reluctant to step up to the plate and take a swing.

If I do receive any telepathic replys from non-members though, I will pass along the message immediatley to this forum.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Let them lurk around for 3 days at which point either they join or we give them the boot.
I think thats fair and balanced.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   
isnt it possible many of these visitors are just people who just probably stumbled upon this site? maybe gave it a glance, make a comment on dis website and leave. it be like me walking and giving a glance to a military recruiting center. then the recruiters would be like u guys who would say "u saw us and our ads, dat means u have to join us unless u are a coward". dats wats goin on here.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I suspect the reason most people don't join is that with the point system it looks very complicated. Also the area most people are probably interested in is the one which you are banned from unless you earn enough points. I would suspect that unless you are a very keen poster with a lot of spare time most people would be collecting their pension before they ever got around to achieving enough points to access that area.

Why have an area which eliminates people who may be able to contribute intelligently towards interesting topics.

I would also like to ask those members that can access the secret part of ATS or BTS are the topics under discussion that much more interesting and do they really need to be kept secret.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I too spent alot of time messing around or lurking if you will, and decided to join but the first 3 times I tried to register and told a little about myself and entered everything accordingly, I wasn't rejected but for some reason when I clicked submit it would just take me back to the home page. By the third time I was just having fun trying to get in, thought maybe it was some secret test. Finally I sent an e-mail to ATS itself and they responded with a password. Took me about a week to finally register. And the old saying goes " if you don't succeed at first, then try, try again. Ah success.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I am glad you kept after it. We had a glitch in the registration system for a little while and I think it was your email that alerted us to it.

We may have never found out if everyone just gave up.

Go forth and post...

Springer...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join