It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian President Worried About Google Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 06:21 AM
link   
An interesting news article.. Indian President is concerned that Google Earth's free mapping technology available online could be used by terrorists, providing satellite images of potential targets...

Full Article Link

Google Earth, an Internet site launched in June this year, allows users to access overlapping satellite photos. Although not all areas are highly detailed, some images are very high resolution, and some show sensitive locations in various countries.

At a meeting of top police officials in the southern Indian city of Hyderabad, Kalam said he worried that "developing countries, which are already in danger of terrorist attacks, have been singularly chosen" for providing high resolution images of their sites.

Personally I think Google Earth is a great tool for online research.

Does the Indian President have valid concerns here?

Related Link:

Google Earth shows Indian military bases

[edit on 16-10-2005 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   
No valid argument here. The terriosts can use maps and tourist pamphlets, should they be banned as well?

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I think there's a difference between maps/tourist pamphlets and satellite imagery. Most maps only show roadways and give very little detail of surrounding buildings and landscapes. Tourist pamphlets are often cartoon-like and only show what they want you to see. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

While I don't think Google Earth is going to directly cause additional terror attacks, it could no doubt be a good tool for terrorists casing targets and planning attacks. That doesn't mean we should ban Google Earth or anything. Sensitive government buildings can and should be digitally "blurred" so as not to reveal any details. This has been done in many major cities around the world, like Washington, DC on Google Earth.

The Indian President is right when he has concerns about Google Earth being used by terrorists. But I don't think he should be overly concerned. Most Google Earth images can barely depict a vehicle on the ground, let alone what kind of security personnel and installations (or lack there of) are guarding government sites. Terrorists can print out as many satellite images as they want- it may show them a few trees to hide behind or some good roads to approach the target by, but in the end their success will come down to the security protecting the target.

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   
It's things like this that should not be stopped. When you stop doing normal things, like making google earth available to the masses, then the terrorists are winning. Living in fear is no way to live your life.

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I have google earth on my desktop and often play around with it. There are not that many areas that are detailed and the ones that are are dated.

As an example, I zoomed in on my hometown of Fayetteville Arkansas and it was in detail. I moved it around and zoomed in on the company I work for and did a print screen. After looking it over I realized my comapny has grown so much since the image i was looking at was taken. We have new, huge warehouses and new parking lots and such...the images from google were atleast three years old if not longer.

If a terrorist relies on google for their planning they will probably blow up some poor soup kitchen that took the place of their intended target long ago.

Then again, that would explain why terrorists are blowing up soup kitchens.

Just my thoughts on it,

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 07:25 PM
link   
It is clear to me that it is not only India that is worried. Just look at the blurred or blacked out areas you see on the American maps.

I agree that Google Earth is not a very good tool for terrorists compared to other maps. But if these areas are blacked out then maybe there is a reason for India to worry.

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Another example:
Certain items were removed from USGS maps for future printing. If you wanted to find it, it's only on the old maps. USGS maps were found with terrorists, with certain items circled. Definitely not what we want to hear. Old news.

new topics

top topics

join