It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIV 4

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
A matter of days before we feast our eyes on the newest game in one of the most sucessful series in gamnig history. I think Civ3 got a "greatest game ever" award, and the original Civ is unforgettable.

Its also going to be in fully 3d (woot) and be much more entertaining.

Any TBAS gamers out there? (turn based strategy)

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   
3d huh?

Maybe it'll be better, it was too slow for me, I need action!. I like some turn based strategy though

well have to see what torrent I fall into.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Got it on Pre-Order
I can't wait to try out multi-player. Also the AI can no longer violate your borders without a treaty or declaring war. Awesome. 3d meh I could care less it may improve usability a bit but we'll see how it all turns out.

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Civ is the most EVIL thing ever invented. EVER! God I can't wait to play it.
My friend and I would start a multiplayer game with Civ and Civ 2 at about 4 in the afternoon, and the next thing we knew the sun was up and we were still going.

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 05:38 AM
link   
i love civ

only ever played civ 2 though

my comp is to slow to play any thing else

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   
The original Civ really was great
Civ 4 Sounds interesting. Turn Based games are excellent, its a whole different sort of planning, compared to the 'live' games where everything is done 'on the fly'.

Also the AI can no longer violate your borders without a treaty or declaring war[/quot3e]
I hate it when they do that! ARG!

3d meh I could care less

Sometimes that kind of stuff is more of a distraction than anything else.

my comp is to slow to play any thing else

Heck, just play the original one! Its still fun!

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
i dont like the idea of it being in 3D, ive seen screenies and i dont really like the look of it to behonest.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   
there was something nice and simple about the plain 2d graphics of the first game.

BTW, apparenlty there is a site called 'walk of game', voting for the best games. Tombraider is beating Civlization and Sid Meir as game and game designer.

forums.civfanatics.com...
Interesting strategy on that page for getting Civ to display as the winner that it is.

The current lowest three are
Space Invaders 10.7%
Quake 10.7%
Pitfall Harry (Pitfall!) 10.7%

and lowest designer
Peter Molyneux (Populous, Fable)

You have to pick 4 games, two designers, so those are the ones to pick right now in addition to Meir and Civlization to boost civlization to its proper place.

And, interstingly, there is a site that:

if you ever need an email acount do anything you want @mailinator.com, then go check your mail at that site, you dont need to register or anything and all mail is deleated after 1 hour. example [email protected] or [email protected]

Tho I don't think that they actually verify the email you give them, at least I didn't bother to click any activation link that might've been sent to my spam trap.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Here is what I have to say about Civilization 4 in three words.

Best Civ Ever!

3d adds a layer of productivity in micromanaging as I rarely have to dig into some screens to make a queuo. I can tell EXACTLY whats in my city simply by looking at it on the main map. No more 3 turn tech cap you can go back an research old tech in 1 turn easily now. The Religion system is intresting but I think it needs work. The Main stars of this game are as follows.

1. The Graphics. OMG
It adds so much to the game. You can tell that this game is also meant to be played online

2. Wars and Unit management don't bog down as much in the late game, allthough your computer might
The combat unit interface itself. Very intuitive with the ability to easily stack and move large numbers(10+) of units in the late game. Experience adds a whole nothing dimension to this already deep strategic game

3. Culture and Borders are awesome now!

4. Many many more tile improvements

5. Pre-req based building management(for both Units and City Upgrades)

I've just finished a 5 hour playing session all the way through 4000 BC to 1940 AD. I got 110 turns left gotta go

[edit on 29-10-2005 by sardion2000]

EDIT: Watch out for Level 3 Riflemen, they can take out Panzers

[edit on 29-10-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
One last thought. or Question actually. How the hell do you shut Leonard Neemoy up... He is annoying.

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
THE UBER FREAKIBNG SIZED LETTERS ARE NOT TEH WORKING!

I don't HATE it!

[edit on 30-10-2005 by Lysergic]

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Got CIV 4 as a christmas gift. There are two discs, besides the 'soundtrack' extra disc. But they mislabled the discs. I installed it all and then went to play with "Disc 2" but to no avail. Plus, I couldn't get to the support site for the game, I guess there was far far too much of a drain. Which is silly, because we're a huge board here and we have no problems. Luckily, there is the Civfanatics forum. They were still functional. Heck, I checked the 'official' support page and it recomends that I go to the civ fanatics forum for help.

What a bunch of maroons.

Now when I play the game there's black terrain, there's rivers, and I can see 'waves' from where the shorline would be, but the terrain itself is just black. Apparently, you need to have some video card for it to work, which is BS. I can see everything else in the game except the terrrain. Why? Whatever they did to the terrrain, they should undo it. They're already half way to Version 2 and thats just from issueing patches to fix their mistakes. And apparently people with video cards that more than meet the requirements, they can't get it to work either, because the game makers didn't bother to test on multiple systems, which apparently is standard.

Very dissapointed. I was very excited about this game.

Having said that, still managed to whomp the greeks in this strange 'black as pitch' world. Mwa hahahahaha.

Ah well, at least now I know not to buy Civ 5, or any other computer games. Whats the point, even the people that got it to work had to go through all kinds of stupidity to get it to work, and half of them still have major hangup issues. Might as well just stick to consols like playstation, etc.

Plus, the game doesn't seem all that much better than the previous iterations. The idea of 'civics' rather than a block of government is nice, but that was something introduced in Alpha Centauri, and that was a game from Sid Mieir years ago. So even if it did work, its a flop.

I stronly recommend no one bother buying this game, or any game associated with take2 games and the rest of them.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I haven't had that problem. I've had crashing problems OCCASIONALLY, but I've never had any major problems with it. My friend and I have been playing AT LEAST three to four hours a day every day for the last week.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Yeah this game is great. I got it for Christmas and have played it quite a bit to be honest. I didn't realize until today that the traits per each faction actually do have some sort difference on how the game is played.

Other than that though, I seem to not be able to get any kind of score other than Dan Quayle >:|

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I had that problem with earlier versions. I tend to not build up my military, and keep the other civilizations happy, and build up my tech fast, which ends up getting a low score.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I didn't even know there was a Civ 4.

I started with the first one, then bought Civ2, then bought Call to Power, then said "Feh!" and just kept playing 2.

Had I stumbled across 4 without reading this thread, I would've just remembered Call to Power, and kept playing 2. Maybe I'll have to give it a try though...

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Try patching it Nygdan. I never had that problem. Also try patching your Video Card Drivers.

Also you guys should check out Galactic Civilizations. It's pretty much like Civ except set in a space setting colonizing the galaxy. Can only be Human in it though. The sequel should be coming out soon...

[edit on 4-1-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Try patching it Nygdan. I never had that problem. Also try patching your Video Card Drivers.

Also you guys should check out Galactic Civilizations. It's pretty much like Civ except set in a space setting colonizing the galaxy. Can only be Human in it though. The sequel should be coming out soon...

[edit on 4-1-2006 by sardion2000]

That game is both freaking hard and Fun and thats coming from a decent Civilizations fan

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
I had that problem with earlier versions. I tend to not build up my military, and keep the other civilizations happy, and build up my tech fast, which ends up getting a low score.

That only works if you start on relatively isolated in a fertile plain. I've used that strat on fairly diffuclt setting(whats just after Warlord diff?). I once set up an empies with over 300+ cities in Civ 2 just from doing that. My momentum was so large that no other civ could compete from 1000 AD onward. I then went and nuked every city in the world and blitzed my way across it. I got a rating of Mao I believe. I cannot remember the score lol.

That game is both freaking hard and Fun and thats coming from a decent Civilizations fan

You just have to unlearn some habits. You gotta make a treasury of like near zero for the first hundred turns cuz you gotta use your revenue to buy masses of Colony ships(costs under 500 after a few turns) Turn up Taxes to where your Approval rating is like 58 % and when you finally get republic govt lower taxes so you don't get any minusus. I found the best perks to play with were +Influence +Research +Social Production(cuz I always have that at like 10% at the beginning) with the Pacisfist government type(+Influence +Social Production)

Influence is sooo usefull and is kind of unbalanced, you can pretty much take over your quadrant just by expanding at a breakneck pace always aiming for the furthest away "White" stars(with Stellar Cartography) well that's all I got for now

Oh my early research goes like this. Communications Theory > Nanoelectronics > Stellar Cartography there may be a fourth that I'm missing but that rout will take approx 40 turns to complete if you have research at 40+% for the first 50 turns.

[edit on 6-1-2006 by sardion2000]

new topics

top topics

join