It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army SGT using 'unorthodoxed' means for recruiting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   
full story:
www.cbsnews.com...

n May, CBS News Correspondent Bob McNamara reported that the Army planned to halt recruiting for one day to re-instruct its recruiters on what they may and may not legally do to persuade young people to enlist. The retraining "stand-down" occurred on May 20.

As McNamara reported in May, "Going Army" and making history appealed to 20-year-old Chris Monarch, so he called a Houston recruiting office.

"I recognized the name," he said. "His name was Kelt."

Sgt. Thomas Kelt was the recruiter.

But a new baby changed Monarch's plan to enlist and he cancelled his meeting with the recruiter.

"I said I'm a volunteer firefighter and eventually gonna try to go career with it and I'm just not interested anymore and I hung up the phone," Monarch said.

But the recruiter wouldn't take no for an answer -- with a phone message threatening Monarch with arrest if he didn't show.

"By federal law you got an appointment with me at two o'clock this afternoon at Greenspoint Mall." said Kelt. "OK, you fail to appear and we'll have a warrant, OK? So give me a call back."

In fear, Monarch called the recruiter back.

"He said, 'Oh Chris, don't worry about that. That's just a marketing technique I use,"' Monarch recounted.

--------------------

the guy in question has also been promoted instead of reprimanded according to this article.
i know they have a quota to reach, but this is absurd. what kind of example your setting by threatening prospects to join? fear tactics seems to be the #1 weapon of choice used in the army for any means huh?

your thoughts.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I'm surprised more recruiters don't snap when you consider the pressure they are under. If they fail recruiting duty their careers are basically gone bye-bye.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Wow, I'll give it to the guy, he'd make one hell of a telemarketer; "Look lady, you aint gonna buy these here skin care products, Imma have to come and lock yo pretty ass up."

Luxifero

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Is it against the law for a military recruiter to lie? Common sense makes me believe there must be some kind of law out there against this type of activity but maybe not.

new topics

top topics

join