It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Politician Leaks Terror Law Draft Legislation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I was going to post this on ATSNN, but couldn't work out how to, so, here goes.

ACT Chief Minister Jon Stanhope says he will not comply with instructions from the Commonwealth insisting he remove draft counter-terrorism legislation from his website.

www.abc.net.au...

Apparently, he also refused to sack an employee, who was caught writing anti (PM John) Howard grafitti around the nation's capital.

His website can be found here:
www.chiefminister.act.gov.au...

Apparently, his fellow ministers are dissapointed with him. The opposition seems to think otherwise
www.abc.net.au...

I haven't read the draft yet, but if i find any juicy tidbits, I'll let y'all know..

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 04:06 AM
link   
good on him, for posting it, so all can see.
to rush a bill thru , is just showing the bully tactic's mr magoo think's he
can get away with.
we are fast becoming oggie doggie's little puppet.(if not already)
this planet is being run by cartoon character;s
and we shall all suffer the consequence;s

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by fingapointa
I was going to post this on ATSNN, but couldn't work out how to

I know there is an excellent, in-depth guide to submitting stories to ATSNN somewhere, but for the life of me I couldn't find it. So, to the wonderful person who created that guide, I'm not trying to step on your toes, just to help a fellow Aussie out.
Posting on ATSNN can be tricky if you've never done it before, so here's what to do:

First things first, use the Search function to see if your story has already been submitted. You can also check ATSNN directly. When you are confident that you have the scoop on your story, you can begin to prepare it for submission to ATSNN.

At the top of your screen, there is a button labelled SEND NEWS:

Clicking on this button will take you to the submissions page, where basically all you do is fill in the required fields. You first select the News Category, which in this case would probably be either "Political News" or "General Terrorism" or even "War on Terrorism", depending on the story content.

In the field next to this, you write your Submission Subject, which is like your story title. You must use Initial Capital Letters, like in a book or movie title.

Next is your Introductory Paragraph. This has to be a single, decent-sized paragraph in which you outline, in your own words, a summary of what this story is about. You do not put your opinions on the story in here, this comes later. Introductory paragraphs need to be more than just a couple of sentences and you cannot copy and paste text from the article in here to serve as your introductory paragraph. This paragraph appears on the summaries on ATSNN, so it is important to get this part right.

Next, you put in the Reference URL from the site where you found the story and then copy and paste one to three paragraphs from the original source, exactly as they appear on the site where you found them. They cannot be formatted in any way. It is important to note that the first three paragraphs are not always the ones you should submit. Find the three paragraphs that really go to the heart of the story and copy and paste these in.

Now comes Your Comments. In this field, you are required to give one to three paragraphs about your own take on this story. What are your thoughts on it? What opinions do you have or how can you help other readers understand and appreciate it? In this section, you must give a well thought-out response. One or two-line comments will result in your story remaining a Submission for all time.

Almost there - everything else is plug and play stuff. The next field is for Supporting Links To Similar News Stories. An easy way of filling these fields is to go to Google News and get the links from other sources that have reported on your story. Try to find credible sources - India Daily will be frowned upon.
Put in three or four links here.

Finally, the last field is for Supporting ATS Links. Often there are threads on ATS that deal with issues relating to your story. Use the search function to find some and copy their URLs into these fields. This way, interested readers will be able to explore the subject further.

When you're done, double-check your grammar and spelling, which is very important on ATSNN, and hit the Submit News button down the bottom.

Hope this helped, fingapointa. It's really not that hard, but it is nerve-wracking the first time. Let me know if I can help further.

Edit

Here is an excellent tutorial on submitting good ATSNN stories by Banshee. It turns out that to find it, I had to open my eyes.
It's been a long day.

[edit on 15/10/05 by Jeremiah25]

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 06:03 AM
link   
thanks heaps for that. i'll start putting it together now and post a link when it's up. i'm about to max out my monthly internet usage so i may have a period of "radio silence". there is that internet cafe, though...once again

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Unfortunately, much of the new anti-terror legislation refers to changes or repealments of other legislation and can therefore be extremely difficult to read out of context. For example, Schedule 1 - Definition of terrorist organisation etc. reads:

2 Subsection 101.2(3) of the Criminal Code
Repeal the subsection, substitute:
(3) A person commits an offence under this section even if:
(a) a terrorist act does not occur; or
(b) the training is not connected with preparation for, the
engagement of a person in, or assistance in a specific terrorist
act; or
(c) the training is connected with preparation for, the
engagement of a person in, or assistance in more than one
terrorist act.

So you clearly need to refer to the Criminal Code to make any sense of what is being substituted.

To that end, here is where you can find all the legislation referred to in the new Anti-Terrorism Bill.

Criminal Code Act 1995

Customs Act 1901

Financial Transaction Reports Act 1988

Administrative Decisions (Judicial Review) Act 1977

Crimes Act 1914

Migration Act 1958

Surveillance Devices Act 2004

Aviation Transport Security Act 2004

Proceeds of Crime Act 2002

Australian Security Intelligence Organisation Act 1979

[edit on 15/10/05 by Jeremiah25]

top topics