It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Asbestos Related Lung Cancer May Be Able To Be Detected By Blood Test.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Researchers at the New York School of Medicine have found a protein, "osteopontin" that is raised by up to six times in blood levels of people with Mesothelioma Tumours. At present the testing for the disease is such that the tumour is only detected at to late a stage for effective treatment and this new test could lead to much earlier diagnosis of the tumour. The researchers are still studying to determine if the survival rates of sufferers with pleural mesothelioma is actually improved by the early detection of the tumours.

today.reuters.com
Currently, only 5 percent of mesotheliomas are spotted early, and even those patients typically die within 34 months.

The results "offer at least a faint glimmer of hope that the fate of future patients with mesothelioma will be better than that of their predecessors," said Mark Cullen of Yale University in a journal editorial.

Mesothelioma strikes 2,500 to 3,000 people in the United States each year. Most are among the 7.5 million U.S. workers who have been exposed to the asbestos used for fireproofing, insulation and soundproofing.

The protein may also help doctors gauge which patients are at highest risk for the cancer, so they can be followed closely.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This protein can also be used to determine if a patient is at risk of contracting this tumour. They then can be monitored closely.

This is a potential hope for sufferers and this protein may possibly lead to a cure for this type of cancer.

[edit on 14-10-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   
just a note, mesothelioma is a cancer of the intestinal lining, it is not the same as lung cancer.

There are three main diseases asociated with asbestos exposure.

Lung cancer, mesothelioma, and asbestosis (thickening of the lung tissue).

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   
as noted in the article this is Pleural mesothelioma. Pleural means of the lungs. This is a specific type of mesothelioma tumour. There are three main types I believe.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Pleural mesothelioma is a cancer of the cells that make up the pleura or lining around the outside of the lungs and inside of the ribs.

Lung Cancer is a cancer of the lungs themselves.

it's a moot point, anyway.

Both are deadly.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Ok I understand now. The article led me to believe it was actual asbestos related lung cancer and I still have questions that I will go and research now.

new topics

top topics

join