It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

News Submissions - Again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
After reading through the list of News Submissions today i am rather disappointed at the quality. Over and over contributers are told the guidelines of submssions and yet there are still good stories that will not get voted up due to the standard of the submission.

The problem with a bad submission is that fact that once you have placed a story in submission that is it. That submission is the story and no-one else can write an article on that story. So if you have written a poor submission no one else has the chance to write a good one to be voted on. These stories stay in archives for years and are referenced at will by thousands of people searching the web. It takes away the quality and respectability of ATSNN. It makes ATSNN look bad. Please read the article source you are submitting on and then write at least two or three sentences, sometimes more to sum up the gist of exactly what is in the source article in your own words.

Instead of replying in the various threads on ATSNN with points of order I have decided to place it all here for people to see in the one place.

www.abovetopsecret.com...#

This is a good story that could have been made into a good submission that would have been voted up but........
The intro was started off with a question that should have been saved to the bottom opinion section. The next line of the intro was also an opinion and then there was nothing else stated. Not good.

Yahoo news, while a respectable source has one major problem. They only archive their stories for a month or so, so anyone reading that submission six months from now will not be able to access the source as it will no longer exist. It is better to search for a more accessable source.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Good submission. this is how it should be done. A nice three line intro that sums up with non bias the gist of the source article.

Once again not enough in the intro. It is one sentence only. Excellent story and if written properly would have been upgraded long ago

The intro doesn't really give details and although it may scrape through on two to three senstence rule. How are they threatening us police? What methods? What is the gang called? What is the response? More is needed.

Great story and not that badly written. Could have more details in the intro and also big point. The bomber was in Tal Afar not baghdad.

Once again the story is not explained much and is short on details the two sentences don't quite cut the mustard. Nothing was said of where he was caught and what happened and what was his readings.

Short on intro, no info and no comment at all. Not good

Once again and opinion for an intro. If you feel the need to state your case without the proper intro standards, don't post it on atsnn, post it on the relevant forum.

If you are not sure on how to write your submission u2u a mod or an expert. If you submit news and are not sure if it is "right" quality wise once again U2u a mod or an expert who is online when you submit and ask for their opinion.

Sometimes and mostly people dont like clicking links to go offsite to read. They really need to get the gist of the story on the submssion.

Some of these submissions are very haphazardly written. No care has been taken. Ok I know you get good points for submissions and news but they have to be earned by submitting good quality standards.

This is a NEWS feed. Not just people on this site are going to read these articles. ATSNN ranks well on google and will be referenced by different people everywhere. They will not be inclined to keep using ATSNN as a source if articles are poorly written without details. MOre care is required on ATSNN than the rest of the forum.

So if you are not sure why you haven't received your 250 points for an upgrade these points may have something to do with it. Come on contributers ATSNN needs you but it needs you to be the best and submit the best of quality.

These stories are all newsworthy but need a bit of improvement. Once you have the idea it gets easier.

[edit on 13-10-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Way to go Mayet

From time to time I think it is good to have reviews like this of certain stories and why they don't get voted up. But don't be afraid to point out some excellent ones too, as shining examples of our news efforts! All I can say to that is read Valhall's! She is consistenly very thorough, and sticks to the rules almost like a book.

ATSNN is one of the crown jewels of ATS, and extra care IS needed when submitting stories. The guidelines like you to present an UNBIASED summary of the story, written in your own words, and stating THE FACTS as clearly as possible in three sentances. Not one, not two. Three.

Another tactic I like to employ is to copy sentances in the source article that support and enhance your intro, and don't just repeat the same thing you said in your intro. That way it forms it's own short article, with your intro and their supporting statements. This really helps people that just want a quick summary of the story.

Your point about Yahoo news is well taken. I rarely use them as a source, as over time I have developed my own source list. I think grammar and correct spelling are very important for ATSNN, as it represents us to the world. Unfortunately, while we may be able to overlook it to a degree here, people coming into ATSNN for the first time can get a bad taste in their mouth if they happen to stumble on one of those that clearly shows lack of proper form.

But overall, so far so good! Keep up the great work folks!

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Don't forget this one submitted by an "Expert." A one sentence introduction and a two sentence analysis with atrocious spelling and punctuation when he bothers to punctuate at all.

A submission of this quality should be trashed and the submitter fined.

[edit on 2005/10/13 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Don't forget this one submitted by an "Expert." A one sentence introduction and a two sentence analysis with atrocious spelling and punctuation when he bothers to punctuate at all.

A submission of this quality should be trashed and the submitter fined.

[edit on 2005/10/13 by GradyPhilpott]

Grady Check again:

Contributor: 61
show all articles

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 01:24 AM
link   
My mistake! Everyone who voted for it should be fined after having been drawn and quartered.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Yes noticed that one and I did indeed send a notice on it but the story was voted up rather quickly. This is a problem.

The story was definately ATSNN worthy but yes it really needed to be written much better for ATSNN standards.

It seems contributers are in such a rush to get their story there first that they forget what is more important... them getting the scoop and 250 points or the quality standards of ATSNN being lowered by submitting a second rate article. Take pride. Its not a shameful thing to be proud of your work.

I am asking contributers to have as much if not more pride in the quality of their story and how it sits on ATSNN than the points earned for scooping.

I appreciate quality and I know most if not all others reading those article do to.

[edit on 14-10-2005 by Mayet]

new topics

top topics

join