It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blowback Operated Minigun

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 12:53 AM
link   
The Gryazev-Shipunov GSh-6-30 is a Russian 30mm cannon used by Soviet and later CIS military aircraft.

The GSh-6-30, designed in the late 1970s, is a six-barreled Gatling gun similiar in design to the Gryazev-Shipunov GSh-6-23. It differs from most American multi-barreled aircraft cannon in that it is gas-operated , rather than externally powered via an electric, hydraulic, or pneumatic system. Although the engineering difficulties involved in producing a gas-operated rotary cannon with such a high rate of fire are considerable, the advantages over externally-powered guns intended for use in aircraft are significant. Russian gas-operated rotary cannon such as the GSh-6-30 create less of a drain on an aircraft's power systems, needing no powerful motor to drive the mechanism. Additionally, gas-operated rotary cannon accelerate up to their maximum rpm much more quickly, as opposed to externally-powered rotary cannon which have a lower rate of fire at the moment a firing event is commanded, as the barrels "spin up". Thus, the maximum rate of fire is achieved almost instantaneously, an important factor when the window of opportunity for placing multiple rounds on target can be vanishingly short.

The weapon weighs 149 kg (328.4 lb). Its rate of fire is about 6,000 rounds per minute, with a muzzle velocity of 845 m/s (2,772 ft/s). It fires a 30x165mm round with a hard-hitting 390 g (13.75 oz) projectile.

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 01:09 AM
link   
GShG-7.62
Russia
7.62x54 mm R
number of barrels - 4
Rate of fire, rounds per minute-6 000
weight, the gun itself- 19 kg
power source - gas operated
peak recoil force (estimated) - 120 kg (270 lbs) no hand held here.

XM214 Microgun
USA
5.56 mm NATO
number of barrels- 6
Rate of fire, rounds per minute-up to 10 000
weight, the gun itself-15 kg
power source- electrical
peak recoil force (estimated)-110 kg (240 lbs)

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by iskander
GShG-7.62
Russia
7.62x54 mm R
number of barrels - 4
Rate of fire, rounds per minute-6 000
weight, the gun itself- 19 kg
power source - gas operated
peak recoil force (estimated) - 120 kg (270 lbs) no hand held here.

XM214 Microgun
USA
5.56 mm NATO
number of barrels- 6
Rate of fire, rounds per minute-up to 10 000
weight, the gun itself-15 kg
power source- electrical
peak recoil force (estimated)-110 kg (240 lbs)
How is the russian gas operated minigun powered? i think i have an idea that there is a pipe in the thing that holds the barrels together and it acts as a gas port so as the gas channels into it, it pushes a rod connected to a drive that sort of spins the barrels around. Im not sure if this is right but it is just an idea.

Is this True?

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   
After much consideration and thought ...... I must now change my mind on the man portable thing.

Yes ..... a man portable minigun with several thousand rounds is possible.

With all the military cut backs and base closures around the world ..... its rumored that the US has de-commissioned the A10 Worthog. However, they have kept the pilots and miniguns. The pilots are at this very moment being pumped full of steriods and working out with a secret society of Japanese Sumo wrestling priests in the arts of war ..... with Master Origami Tsun Zoo (lander) Man (Known as Gunny Sumo Man)

So tune into CNN next war ..... to see the SUMO SIZED A10 Pilots with minis under both arms charging across the Western deserts into Syria !!!!

Hmmm ...... late November early December this year maybe????

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Camel
After much consideration and thought ...... I must now change my mind on the man portable thing.

Yes ..... a man portable minigun with several thousand rounds is possible.

With all the military cut backs and base closures around the world ..... its rumored that the US has de-commissioned the A10 Worthog. However, they have kept the pilots and miniguns. The pilots are at this very moment being pumped full of steriods and working out with a secret society of Japanese Sumo wrestling priests in the arts of war ..... with Master Origami Tsun Zoo (lander) Man (Known as Gunny Sumo Man)

So tune into CNN next war ..... to see the SUMO SIZED A10 Pilots with minis under both arms charging across the Western deserts into Syria !!!!

Hmmm ...... late November early December this year maybe????

Oh yes i seen them on the discovery channel on my mates telley, they were going through some mad training and i heard they will be deployed to the middle east by the end of this year!.

Out of self loading weapons Blowback or Recoil are the best becouse the firepower has two functions: Half of the power is used to shove the bullet out the barrel and the other half is used for reloading but Blowbacks have a slightly slower rate of fire like the Browning M1919A4 machine gun. In a way slower rate of fire is good becouse you actually make the ammo last longer! especially to those on long operations. The bullet also is more hard hitting then if it came out of a Gas operated weapon.

The rate of fire also depends on the lengh of the cartridge too, thats why SMGs seem to be 'Rapid Fire'. With Gas Operated Weapons, The power is used for three functions: To shove the bullet out, the gas port and to blow the bolt back to reload for the new round. Just think of all this power wasted in a gas operated weapon.

With bolt action rifles/revolvers , the power is used for one point-To shove the bullet out. Thats why bolt action rifles/Revolvers happen to be more powerful and hard hitting then self loading weapons. The less points the firepower has the more harder hitting the bullet will be!

That is why i said on my last post - A hand held minigun in reality would be like a powerful bolt action rifle firing at 6'000 RPM and if you ever came to fire one at the ground, You would literally reach for the sky!!!!!!.

I said that becouse the bolts on a Minigun keeps the round locked in like a bolt action rifle unless the barrels revolve around to empty the chamber, This is done Externally not by the Minigun itself.

For a Self Loading Minigun, Blowback would be the most likeley operation used becouse the firepower only has two functions: To shoot the bullet and to eject the round.

[edit on 9-11-2005 by Browno]

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Ive found the image!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, looks like someone has drew it but would be cool if it was/is real

[img]http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/coppermine/displayimagepopup/pid=3308/fullsize=1.html[img]

www.arrse.co.uk...=3308/fullsize=1.html

[edit on 11-4-2006 by Browno]

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Check this out!

This is near my house!

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Well...just my humble opinion, but I've fired plenty of guns, and full auto recoil and say...AK, doesn't precisely blow off your feet, yes I grant you it's nothing like a minigun, and maybe a bad example, but my point is, there ARE tripod miniguns (let me find the way to post a link here, I'm new to the forum, what can I say...) and if the principle you say about the recoil, then they wouldn't be possible either, would they? just a humble opinion, again, for a newcomer to this great forums

posted on Apr, 18 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   
And another one, i think its obviously drawn by someone but it could still be made if a designer wanted to

www.arrse.co.uk...=3322/fullsize=1.html

posted on Jul, 10 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   
This is another image to give an idea what a Blowback Operated Minigun would look like

posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 08:30 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 29 2006 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I really don't see the point of hand-held multi-barrell machineguns. They would be cumbersome, would need helluva lot of ammo, not to mention horse-kick recoil... And for what? If you gotta hit target hard, there are 40 mm grenade launchers, missile launchers, etc (and they are far more usefull then any rapid shooting mg). If you gotta gun infantry down, standard assault rifles and MGs are more then enough. Besides, there are single barrel machineguns that can fire more then 1000 rounds/minute. For instance, German MG-3. (I know you must change barrel after certain amount of fire, but multi-barrel guns will also overheat)

It's not like in computer games or movies, people. Wonder why XM-214 or GshG-7.62 never reached mass production? Because they're not really usefull. No hard feeling, guys.

[edit on 29-8-2006 by Duby78]

posted on Mar, 25 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Browno

This does not seem likely to really exist. There was a gas operated version of the 20mm Vulcan cannon that bled gas off of three of the six barrels in order to be selfloading, however, it never really took off, it's heavier, and these weapons need to be vehicle mounted, even the 7.62NATO versions, not so much because of recoil as has been suggested, but because of their massive ammunition consumption. They simply fire too many rounds to be manportable. Not to mention the guns themselves are very heavy. I carried a M240G quite a bit, and I can't imagine slugging one around with the added fun of five more barrel/bolt assemblies. I do not see the point in having a single bolt, as the bolt itself would become much too hot and induce cookoff, it is a novel idea, but the mechanics don't seem to work out.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
well also you can mount it to F-14s as well as F-18s which are stronger and more powerfull

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join