It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: A-Bomb Monotoring System Can Warn Of Tsunamis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
The Californian scientists that have been analysing sound waves produced during the Asian Tsunami have discovered that a tsunami produces a unique sound signature, meaning that monitoring stations set up to listen for illegal A-Bomb testing will be able to give warning of future tsunamis.

news.bbc.co.uk
In the weeks following the 26 December earthquake, moves began to establish an integrated warning system for Indian Ocean tsunamis, replicating the Pacific Ocean system co-ordinated from Hawaii.

A number of monitoring stations were envisaged, using a mix of water pressure sensors on the ocean floor, tidal gauges, and seismometers, perhaps augmented by satellite observations.

On 20 January, the United Nations agreed to oversee the scheme, and despite some early political squabbling, elements are now being built.

Could the nuclear test-ban stations add anything to what is already envisaged? Roger Bowman believes so, though there may be political obstacles.

"Until this earthquake killed 200,000 people, the data was only made available to the CTBTO itself and to state signatories," he said, "and not to any hazard-warning organisation.

"I think there is going to be a loosening of data restrictions for this purpose, and I think the kind of data interpretation we have done could be folded into a hazard warning system."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

After the tsunami of 2004 it was obvious the area surrounding the Indian Ocean needed some sort of early warning sytstem, and maybe this is the one.

Hopefully within the next few years a system can become operational and give us at least a little warning of another incoming tsunami, which will hopefully avoid the devastation caused by the last.

[edit on 12/10/2005 by MickeyDee]

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
We definatley need some sort of warning system in place in that area.

Even if we had known an hour in advance of the Boxing day tsunami it would have saved thousands of lives.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
India is the one that needs to make a Tsunami monitoring system, since india is the one that will be effected when the plates in that region create a tsunami agian. I mean, you don't need the global system of seismographs or anything new to do this. An indian government official requested that they build the ocean bouys that would easily give them clear warning of a tsunami, but they rejected it, citing idiotic concerns over scarring off tourists. And bizzarely, they continue to give money to 'researchers' who use astrology to 'predict' earthquakes and tsunamis.

This new technique is interesting, but isn't this something that India and these other countries should be doing? Not the US and thewestern countries that alreadty have tsunami monitors for their own countries, and hwo are the ones who run the atomic testing listening seismographs?

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   
This is virtually like deja'vu for me.
I nearly indicated such in a past ATS discussion on the Indonesian Tsunami, here:
Tsunami: an act of terror (Sea Burst)?

as posted by seekerof
The signature pattern of an earthquake and a detonating nuclear device are discernable and quite different.
Listening for Atom Blasts, but Hearing Earthquakes

seekerof

top topics

join