It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Focus Group: What Do You Think of this Campaign Ad for Governor?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
www.jerrykilgore.com...

Let me know if that doesn't load. First impressions not knowing about the race at all would be helpful. I'm just curious.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
It's taking a while to load...still not there, but it's trying.

Im getting that (1 item remaining) that just stays forever

sporty

[edit on 12/10/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I was able to view it...I think it'd be pretty powerful for people who support the death penalty.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
kaine2005.org...

It shouldn't affect anything to see both. I suppose view them in order though.

Thanks guys.

[edit on 12-10-2005 by RANT]

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Can someone please post the ad picture?

It won't load on my end

I have a crappy PC

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB

It's not a simple picture, it's a motion picture televison ad.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB

It won't load on my end

I have a crappy PC

No worries. They're videos though.

The first is basically a man saying such and such voluntarily defended my son's killer in court. And fought to get him off the death penalty. He wouldn't even execute Hitler if he had the chance, one of the worst serial killers in modern times. Something like that.

The next is the "response." Where such and such just says his Christian beliefs preclude him from from advocating killing, and he won't change his beliefs for anything, but if elected Governor he will uphold the law.

That's pretty much it.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
The first one wouldn't load for me.

Checking out the second one now.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Thanks anyways,

Im not sure how it's supposed to be played, but I heard the the voice, just not able to view the video (if there is one).

Yeah, I would say kilgore seems pretty straight foward (in the ad). The ad seems like it will appeal to both dems and reps, supporters of CP and non-supporters. It's all about the words...not the person

Smart move on his part

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   

But basically there's debate as to whether the first one is really ethical.

The guy was a court appointed defense attorney. "Voluntarily stood with murderer's?" Uh, yes, sort of.

And the guy's son that was killed? He was a criminal shot in a drug deal gone bad (so I'm reading now anyway). Don't know where the "Hitler" thing came from, probably some defense closing, but still...

Just seeing the ad versus knowing the story behind it? Any change in opinions?

And the "response." Hard enough? That case wasn't even mentioned. Too "high road" perhaps?

I just think the general state of political ads in this country is appalling personally. But there's nothing you can do but attack back. The offensive wins even when he's a LIAR.

The first ad is called "swiftboating" (for obvious reasons) plain and simple. Fuzzy facts with emotional appeal. By the time you can respond, no matter what you say it doesn't matter. Damage done.

How can this be remedied? Or can it?

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
They both loaded ok for me.
Political campaign ads

I'm sure the first one will be effective. I'd speculate that the goal there is to rally the base and not to change anyone's mind.

It's an old political strategy - make a guy respond to something ugly. Any time you can throw "Hitler" into the discussion...

In the second video, the response was measured enough to be effective.

Be nice for candidates to actually discuss an issue, wouldn't it? But it's a sound-bite world and they're playing to an electorate [not singling out Virginians here] with a short attention span.

Edit for post overlap. Supplement-

How can this be remedied?

Well, that's the million dollar question. I'tll be remedied when it stops working. And it'll stop working when sufficient numbers of us take the time to compel candidates to address real issues rather than make spurious claims. I'm guessing sometime around the time the Indigos take over.

[edit on 10/12/2005 by yeahright]

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
www.jerrykilgore.com...

Let me know if that doesn't load. First impressions not knowing about the race at all would be helpful. I'm just curious.

Vote for Kane!

I detested it.. they layed it on too thick and the Hitler reference was tacky and desperate. This is what US campaigns are like?! "Don't vote for that guy.. he doesnt like to kill people.. I do."

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by riley
This is what US campaigns are like?! "Don't vote for that guy.. he doesnt like to kill people.. I do."

Actually, yes. Pretty much.

Good point yeahright. It is the people's fault.

Originally posted by yeahright
Well, that's the million dollar question. I'tll be remedied when it stops working. And it'll stop working when sufficient numbers of us take the time to compel candidates to address real issues rather than make spurious claims.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
First, AL Gore needs to take Kilgore to court for threatning his life.

Second, it's easy to see who is a republican and who is a moderate. One guys says "Kill him! Eat his babies!" The other says "I don't support the death penalty because of my religous beliefs, but believe in the second amandment."

Third, I'd vote for Tim, he doesn't attack, he tells you his stance.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I have to echo Full Metal, I would vote against someone who uses 'attack' ads and for someone who states their positions almost any time (unless I severely disagree with their stance on what I feel to be a key issue).

One question: is the death penalty the big issue in the election or was it simply made to be one by this ad?

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jaryn
One question: is the death penalty the big issue in the election or was it simply made to be one by this ad?

I honestly don't know, not being a Virginian, but I don't think the death penalty is in any danger there. Pretty much a non-issue is my guess.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Thoughts (before I heard and understood the ad or read other responses):

Killgore looks like a car salesman
Tim Kaine - doesn't support the death penalty - neither do I

After first viewing, I now understand what the ad is about and who it's for.

Further thoughts:
Ad is emotionally based, meant to attack one issue.
Was the guy Kaine defended guilty? The old man thinks so, but we don't even know if he was found guilty.
Ad is cheap, slimy sentimentality; a perfect political ad!

"Jerry Kilgore: For our families, for our future". Anytime I hear the 'family' angle pushed, I assume it means anti-abortion. I know an assumption on my part.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
My thoughts on the second ad:
I don't care about his religious beliefs, but I like that he said he'd carry out the law regardless of them and I like that he supports the 2nd Amendment

He did say 'life is sacred' (which is an anti-abortion catch phrase) but as long as he carries out the law in that respect as well, I don't see a problem.

"Don't vote for that guy.. he doesnt like to kill people.. I do."

Exactly!

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
well, i am a supporter of the death penalty...in fact, i dont think its used enough (pedophiles should be executed, IMHO). however, i do believe that everyone deserves a fair trial, and if im the defendent in a death penalty case, i want a lawyer who will fight to keep me out of the chair....doesnt matter whether or not the person is innocent, he or she is still entitled to a fair trial and a sound defense. its up to our peers (jury) to decide whether or not youre guilty, and its up to the lawyers to defend you.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I hated the first ad.
I don't like the kind of political ads that get family members talking about wonderful or horrible things that happened...and now you should vote for my candidate

By default, I would vote for the other guy.

Do I get my free lunch now for paticipating

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join