It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syrian minister 'commits suicide'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Syria's interior minister Ghazi Kanaan has committed suicide, the official news agency in Damascus says.
For many years Kanaan was Syria's powerful intelligence chief in Lebanon, which was dominated by Syria until its military withdrawal earlier this year

Considered a terrorist aid by the U.S. one can't help but wonder what method the C.I.A would have used here.
Not a lot of details to go on at this point.

news.bbc.co.uk...

brill

[edit on 12-10-2005 by brill]

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 06:57 AM
link   
My money is on Mossad here - or actually CIA & Mossad operations.

Yep - the "Black Ops" in Syria have begun alraedy!

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 07:02 AM
link   
It's far more likely he was "suicided" by internal Syrian authorities.

Of course it's not unexpected to see the blame America first statements posted here... :shk:

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Of course it's not unexpected to see the blame America first statements posted here... :shk:

How many THREATS has the bush administration made aganst Syria?

How many times have we hear in the News that the Pentagon is planning some kind of attack on Syria?

Geee I wonder, really where we get these ideas!

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

How many times have we hear in the News that the Pentagon is planning some kind of attack on Syria?

Geee I wonder, really where we get these ideas!

Hmm paranoia anyone ? LMAO. Well if it makes you feel better that the US was behind it, so be it. Kinda sad though that your scope for thought is so limited.

My take on it is, that he felt overwhelming remorse for all the people he's killed either directly or indirectly. So he decided himslef to be judged by Allah early - you know before he kills more people and offends Allah

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Possible.

Hey if the shoe fits.....but your right it was flippant. However its musings like this that tend to reinforce these ideas...weird eh

www.serendipity.li...

brill

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 07:26 AM
link   
If you think about the number of people the US and Israel have "suicided" in Syria, versus how many they have done themselves, I'd lay money on an internal "night of the long knives."

This guy was a security chief after all. If he got turned out, it's probably because he couldn't be loyal to Al-Asad's son. Junior just isn't the same as the old man.

Syria and Iraq were the same state for a long time, and Syria is still ruled by it's Ba'ath party. Sound familiar.

That said, the top of the government has turned towards petulant cooperation with the USA; lesser bureaucrats are dead-set against it, though. So, in the absence of better info, I suspect that the security chief was capped for not being "pan-islamist" enough. They'll probably blame him for "losing" Lebanon a week or so after his death. . . .

Here's Uncle Sam's "house organ" report on Syria:

www.state.gov...

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I wish the CIA had the ability to off anyone they needed to, but sadly they just don't have that ability due to a pesky executive order coupled with apparent incompetence.

Anyway, if the CIA was to covertly assassinate anyone I can think of dozens of people much higher on the list than this person -- it just doesn't make any sense to implicate the U.S. in this. It was either a genuine suicide or he was killed by his own people IMHO.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 08:56 AM
link   
he just committed suicided just before the UN investigation report was suppose to be due. hmmm...makes u wonder. if there was ani conspiracy with the CIA or Mossad, then the Syrian intelligence would have found out. but the article says he committed suicide. so its possible Syria wants him to shutup and not link to the Syrian govt.

[edit on 12-10-2005 by deltaboy]

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   
From what I read on the BBC website, this man apparently personally phoned a number of radio stations with a prepared statement he wanted read on the air. This does not sound like the actions of a man who was the victim of a CIA or Moussad hit.

What it does sound like is the actions of a man who has been eliminated by his own brutal government. From the Syrian perspective, he completely bungled the security job in Lebanon, and quite possibly lost Syria their precious influence in Lebanon by an unauthorized assassination of a senior anti-Syria Lebanese official. Assad Jr. pobably said "enough is enough" and gave him the same choice that Hitler gave Rommel; commit a dignified suicide and we will let your family live.

The CIA and Moussad didn't need to kill this man - he was already doing a fine job of it himself.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Pyrus, Was his statement broadcast? If so, what was said?

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by CindyfromFlorida
Pyrus, Was his statement broadcast? If so, what was said?

link< br />

Three hours before the news broke, Kanaan spoke to a Beirut radio station, denying reports in Lebanese media that he showed the U.N. investigators photocopies of cheques paid to him by the late Hariri.

"I think this is the last statement I might give," Kanaan said at the end of the phone interview with Voice of Lebanon.

"My testimony ... was to shed the light on an era during which we have served Lebanon. Sadly some media outlets have reported lies to mislead public opinion," he said.

"I want to make clear that our relation with our brothers in Lebanon was based on love and mutual respect ... We have served Lebanon's interest with honor and honesty."

the words i think this is the last statement i might give is something to consider on. i dont dink these are all wat he says but just only a few bits of the interview.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I think that its even money that Assad ordered him eliminated. Alternately, he may have killed himself on his own volition to avoid the bullet from Assad, and die on his own terms. Its seems clear to me that Assad wanted him dead for either a) screwing up the operation, or b) acting without Damascus's prior approval and making a bad situation worse.

From CNN:

"Just before news of Kanaan's death, Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad told CNN's Christiane Amanpour in an exclusive interview that Syria had no involvement in Hariri's death, and it was impossible for him to have ordered it.

But, he said, if the U.N. probe concluded that Syrians were involved, then they would be regarded as traitors and should be charged with treason and face punishment, either through the Syrian judicial process or by an international court.

"If indeed there is a Syrian national implicated, he would be considered as a traitor and most severely punished," Assad said.

Kanaan was the head of Syrian military intelligence in Lebanon from 1982 till 2002. He was appointed interior minister in 2004".

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   
he said on air that his statements would likely be his last, and was dead within 2 hours of a small caliber wound from the roof of his mouth to the back of is head.

maybe he was so stressed out he wanted say "goodbye cruel world" ?

considering a 21 year old football player at Penn killed himself, sportsillustrated.cnn.com...is it a stretch to think that a man who was likley going to be implicated in an assassination might want to get away from it all ?

no, I'm, sure it wads the CIA, it had to be, nothing else makes sense.....

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Any way you figure it, he did everybody a favor. I doubt that CIA or Mossad would waste their time on this guy. Maybe Mossad might if he was a player with a long laundry list, but I still doubt it. Seems more likely he made his owners unhappy and they let him know his services were no longer required.
It would be my guess also, that there weren't many long faces in Israell or Langley at the news of his demise.

The reason I don't think it was our spooks is because they have been screwing the pooch in Afghanistan and Iraq. Their performance has been under real severe scrutiny and the word in the operations business is that they have been throwing US Spec Warfare assets 'under the bus' and the world of operators won't play ball with them anymore. I understand that most ops are going on in house now, that they won't risk their 'Ass'ets playing ball with Langley, because they have been giving guys in the US Military up to cover their butts. There are some really unhappy US Military Assets right now because of this.
Never the less, this guy won't be missed, except by family.

[edit on 12-10-2005 by sharkman]

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Hello my fellow arm-chair detectives! I'm going with not the CIA, suprisingly! this time! I think he was most likely done in by his own, or in some sort of well how would we know, perhaps he just felt there was no longer a point to his life.

we're the christians in america awhoaoooh.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I wish the CIA would decide if they were incompetent fools who ignored 9/11 evidence or invisibile robotic ninja monkey assasins.

top topics

join