It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil of Oregano...get some

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
www.ghchealth.com...

This is a great herb for battling the flu. I suggest all of you order this online and keep it in stock. Do some research on it.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   
My first thought was of the old 'snake oil' salesman ( from the linked site):

Uses for Oregano Oil

* excellent germicide capable of killing various fungi
* useful against bacterial infections and parasites.
* combating diarrhea and intestinal gas
* digestive problems
* migraine headaches
* candida
* eczema
* athletes foot
* sore throat, breathing problems
* immediate relief from bee stings, venomous bites
* fighting dandruff, diaper rash and other skin disorders

I'm surprised they didn't include something about it curing cancer and HIV/AIDS.

Sorry if this upsets anyone, I really do believe in holistic health, but that laundry list of uses was just too much for me.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I'm a total health nut, but I don't preach it because I learned years ago that people don't want to hear it. Just wanted to point out that oregano oil (I've used it to a degree...but IMHO there are other, equally affordable and more effective naural remedies out there) STAINS like CRAZY on anything, clothing, synthetic fabric, linoleum, etc. It also smells very bad if you spill a large quantity.

So keep it in a sealed plastic container, away from direct sunlight and protect the container from shattering, and you will be all set.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jaryn
I'm surprised they didn't include something about it curing cancer and HIV/AIDS.

This is an excellent point IMHO. I admit I KNOW nothing about this oil. However, as always, the PT Barnums of the world are out there to pray on the fears of people for the almighty $$$$ Be carefull about what you take and the claims being made about them.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

This is an excellent point IMHO. I admit I KNOW nothing about this oil. However, as always, the PT Barnums of the world are out there to pray on the fears of people for the almighty $$$$ Be carefull about what you take and the claims being made about them.

HELLO I said to do some research on it. LOL Ya'll don't have to buy it. But, I wanted to point it out in case someone was interested. Don't come in here knocking it until you try it.

By the way, two things survived the nuclear bomb tests of the 1950s: cockroaches and yeasts. Yet, the virtually indestructible yeasts failed to escape a natural substance: oil of oregano. Researchers at Georgetown University proved that oil of wild oregano, the high mountain variety, completely destroyed yeasts in petri dishes. How's that to peek your interest? [edit on 12-10-2005 by zenlover28]

[edit on 12-10-2005 by astrocreep]

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I was getting ready to post a thread on the benefits of Oil of Oregano, but did a search instead. This thread needs to be resurrected.

I've been taking Oil of Oregano (in capsule form) for a month now. My skin infection has cleared up, I have more energy, and (strangest of all) three lumps in my breast have gone away. (One of the lumps was confirmed to be a cyst, while I was awaiting a mammogram for the other two).

I then did some research to see if it can be used for dogs. I have an older Australian Cattle Dog and he just developed a skin infection and has had fatty tumors on his side for a few years now. Well, Oil of Oregano is great for dogs, too!

Here's some of the info I found:

”Did you know oregano oil can help to get rid of fleas or to brush your dogs teeth, cats can benefits from the use of oregano also by brushing their furs with a few drops of Oregano essential oil or added to your pet’s food or water. It is important that you do not apply the oil whether internally or topically to any pregnant animal. Oregano oil can stimulate menstruation and therefore abort the pregnancy. Because of Oregano anti parasitic properties it can also be used to get rid of enteric parasites such as intestinal worms in your pets. It is also known that oregano oil is effective against yeast or candida and urinary tract infections.”

oreganoessentialoil.iblogger.org...

Oil of oregano can do wonderful things for humans and dogs alike, and has been known to treat everything from arthritis and allergies to influenza, infections and wounds.

Read more: Oregano Oil for Dogs | eHow.com www.ehow.com...

Oral care is one of the basic elements you have to look at. Learn how you can use oil of oregano extract to keep your buddy’s pearly whites stay intact.

www.howtodothings.com...

Oil of oregano is known for its antiseptic, antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial properties, which allow it to prevent the growth and spread of germs and harmful bacteria. It also kills viruses. Use oil of oregano topically. Mix oil of oregano with olive oil at a 1:4 ratio, and apply it to a small area of the dog's skin before treating the wound, as some dogs do experience mild skin irritation. Oil of oregano is available online from essential oil retailers or at health food stores.

www.dailypuppy.com...

More info and testimonials here:
www.earthclinic.com...
www.wildoiloforegano.com...
www.lowchensaustralia.com...
edit on 15-9-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
great stuff, better than garlic for me!

forgot how it works, though. is it highly phenolic?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ignant

No, it's not phenolic at all. I thought it would be because the gelcaps I was taking stink to high heaven. But, no, you don't smell it in your sweat or urine. Your breath won't smell either.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by therainmaker
I'm a total health nut, but I don't preach it because I learned years ago that people don't want to hear it. Just wanted to point out that oregano oil (I've used it to a degree...but IMHO there are other, equally affordable and more effective naural remedies out there) STAINS like CRAZY on anything, clothing, synthetic fabric, linoleum, etc. It also smells very bad if you spill a large quantity.

So keep it in a sealed plastic container, away from direct sunlight and protect the container from shattering, and you will be all set.

My son in law got me some while I had the flu in 2010. All I have to add to this, is that unless you really enjoy the taste of oregano, don't ingest this stuff! You can taste it all day long, like some fish oil supplements. It also over powered my taste buds so that I couldn't taste anything but the oregano oil.

Yuck......

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

How were you taking it? I haven't experienced anything like you're reporting. My burps taste like oregano for the first half hour after taking a gelcap, but after that, nothing.

Edit to Add: I'm taking Oil of Wild Oregano.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
reply to post by ignant

No, it's not phenolic at all. I thought it would be because the gelcaps I was taking stink to high heaven. But, no, you don't smell it in your sweat or urine. Your breath won't smell either.

wow really? my memory is failing me. all i remember is CARVACOL being claimed the active ingredient in OO and that it was highly phenolic.

my bad!

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I had the pharmacist recommend this to my daughter for a yeast infection. It does seem to be very effective, but man, it tastes terrible!

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ignant

As I clarified in my previous post, I'm taking Oil of Wild Oregano. It's probably different depending on the variety of oregano that's being used. Although the oil is quite aromatic, it may metabolize in the body differently. Just as wild gardenias don't smell, but domesticated (if that's the right word) gardenias do smell.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

I was taking gel caps of the stuff. I can't remember the brand, but, it was so nasty, and I didn't want to hurt his feelings, so I used to take them out and hide 'em! He spent a fortune of whatever brand they were, making a special trip to a health food store for me.

Boy, was I glad when he asked me for them because he was having a skin rash after I was feeling better.

Perhaps it depends on the brand, but whichever ones he got tasted awful, for the entire day!

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience with it. I've found it to be a miracle herb and I'm so glad that I haven't experienced anything negative, smell or taste wise. I have a doctor's appointment on Monday and I can't wait to see her face when I tell her I won't be needing that mammogram after all and my skin infection is gone! I'm not a doctor and I know that everyone has different reactions to everything, but I was floored when my lumps were gone after only taking three gelcaps a day for one week. Sure, the capsules smell bad, but once they're swallowed, I don't think about it again until I burp. But, like I said, this was just in the first half hour, then it's gone. Maybe since I cook a lot of italian food and use oregano when I'm cooking, my body is used to it. One can only guess.

Edit to Add: I've used two brands so far. The one I'm taking now is Solaray gelcaps with Oil of Oregano and extra virgin olive oil. The bottle I have now has 150 gelcaps and I bought it for $8.99. I always take it after I've eaten a meal.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Uses for Oregano Oil

* excellent germicide capable of killing various fungi
* useful against bacterial infections and parasites.
* combating diarrhea and intestinal gas
* digestive problems
* migraine headaches
* candida
* eczema
* athletes foot
* sore throat, breathing problems
* immediate relief from bee stings, venomous bites
* fighting dandruff, diaper rash and other skin disorders

Sorry if this upsets anyone, I really do believe in holistic health, but that laundry list of uses was just too much for me.

I usually do NOT believe in holistic remedies. However Oil of Oregano is one of the few things that works
noticeably well in fact. All you have to do is smell it and you will understand. It is one of the compounds the
FDA tried to attack and ban too, IMO that is because it is a threat to the treatment industry.

People

GET SOME

I put my Janky ass name on it

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Since bodies metabolize things differently, and since I've started giving it to my dog, to be fair, I'll let you know if my Australian Cattle Dog starts smelling like an Italian Greyhound.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by zenlover28
www.ghchealth.com...

This is a great herb for battling the flu. I suggest all of you order this online and keep it in stock. Do some research on it.

Why is it great for battling the flu? It is known primarily as an antibiotic, not an antiviral. The major component of oil of oregano is carvacrol. The only published study I could find tested a related herb and found carvacrol to be ineffective against an influenza strain:

J Agric Food Chem. 2004 Jun 2;52(11):3309-12.

In vitro antioxidant, antimicrobial, and antiviral activities of the essential oil and various extracts from herbal parts and callus cultures of Origanum acutidens.

Sökmen M, Serkedjieva J, Daferera D, Gulluce M, Polissiou M, Tepe B, Akpulat HA, Sahin F, Sokmen A.

Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Art and Science, Cumhuriyet University, 58 140 Sivas, Turkey.

The essential oil and various extracts obtained from Origanum acutidens and methanol extracts (MeOH) from callus cultures have been evaluated for their antioxidative, antimicrobial, and antiviral properties. The essential oil exhibited strong antimicrobial activity with a significant inhibitory effect against 27 (77%) of the 35 bacteria, 12 (67%) of the 18 fungi, and a yeast tested and moderate antioxidative capacity in DPPH and beta-carotene/linoleic acid assays. GC and GC-MS analyses of the oil resulted in the identification of 38 constituents, carvacrol being the main component. The MeOH extracts obtained from herbal parts showed better antioxidative effect than that of butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT), whereas callus cultures also exhibited interesting antioxidative patterns. Concerning antiviral activity, none of the extracts inhibited the reproduction of influenza A/Aichi virus in MDCK cells. The MeOH extracts from herbal parts inhibited the reproduction of HSV-1, and also callus cultures exerted slight antiherpetic effect.

PMID: 15161188 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by zenlover28
www.ghchealth.com...

Absolutely and also, oil of rosemary, but be very careful you don't want to ingest it, as it has natural pyrethrins that can kill you, but it is wonderful to keep bugs (LICE) away and to protect crops naturally and to put as a salve on wounds.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by IamCorrect

Hey, thanks for the info you provided. This is an old thread from 2005 that I decided to resurrect to add my own info and experience to. I guess I should've linked it to this thread that's also about oregano: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Anyways, both threads didn't get much attention, but from what I've personally experienced, it's an important daily supplement for humans and other animals. Taken internally or topically, it's great for many ailments. Maybe I should've started my own thread about it, but I'm not looking to get stars and flags. I just want to pass the info along and get more attention to oregano since bacteria is becoming more resistant to treatments.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join