It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone else still resisting cell phones?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I still don't own a cell phone. I can afford it, I just don't want one. I hate them! I don't even like my house phone, but I suffer through it - I just don't answer it, the wife and kids do.

I don't like the way cell phones interupt face to face conversations, the way they make folks drive or the thought of EM waves going through my head. I know they can be tracked and traced and there is no privacy.

I have in the past, using old scanners, changed the internal circuitry to open the blank areas. You can hear many things, including cell phones. (Todays scanners use a cell-lock chip to stop this)

I still value a face to face conversation.

Anyone else still resisting them? If so, why?

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   
It's never been an issue of cost, I just find these things to be an annoyance and I really don't need to be in touch with everyone all the time.

My home phone never rings, it always gets picked up by "call answer" and I check my messages a few times a day.

My aversion to phones bugs everyone I know for some reason, but it's my life and I don't want the constant intreruptions.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I find the things to be a great intrusion. I also am sobered by the many on the roads oblivious to what is going on around them while they speak. Ever wonder why someone is poking in front of you on the road? They are busy talking on the phone. Neurologists, and orthopedic doctors have a future bonanza going as many will be inflicted from cervical problems from leaning their head over to support the monster.

Who needs them? I mean really needs them?:bnghd:

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   
ME!!!

I've successfully resisted the Call Of The CellPhone.

I hardly answer my regular phone as it is....like others, I check voicemail regularly and if it's important, then o'course I'll return the call.

Other than that though...don't call me, I'll call you

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Me, too! Me, too!
I won't have one! I don't even answer my house phone. Seriously. Our message is:

"You have reached the home of ***** and *****. We screen all of our calls, so if you'd like to speak with us, you'll have to leave a message. Thank you." *beep*

If they hang up, too bad. If they're selling something, I don't answer. Only if it's someone I want to talk to do I answer it. We pay for the phone for OUR convenience, not for people to intrude on my life at dinner or any other time.

Oh, and the ringer is turned off, too!

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Personally, I’ve never understood the whole “cell phones will be the end of us all” perspective

I don’t have a house phone…Just a cell phone…And although anyone can say this without proof, I am capable of both driving and talking on the phone…

BUT! I do know that others are not quite as “gifted”…Some people really can’t manage this task without causing havoc…But then again, I don’t drive like an ass when I’m off the phone either…

It’s saved me from quite a few car problems – When your broken down on a desolate road with no call-boxes and the nearest form of civilization 20 miles in any direction, a cell phone is a blessing…

And it comes in useful for other people as well…I had to pull an old man out of his truck once after he hit a telephone poll – The guy’s daughter was following behind him but didn’t have reception to call the police – Well whaddya know – Guess who did?

I can understand the aspect that it detracts from the face-to-face format of communication…But given the pace we’re expected to follow at these days, maximizing your availability means you can get things done faster…

It’s certainly not for everyone – But it’s a creature-comfort for those who are seeking more control over their lives…

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
I don’t have a house phone…Just a cell phone…And although anyone can say this without proof, I am capable of both driving and talking on the phone…

I have a single friend that has no house phone and just has a cell phone. I agree, if I had no house phone, I might do the same.

As far as haiving one in case of road side emergencies, I like the fact that everyone else has one - I can use theirs.

I think, when it really comes down to the root, I don't have one due to my rebelliousness against society - resisting the corrosion of conformity.

Glad to see I am not alone though.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by godservant
I still don't own a cell phone. I can afford it, I just don't want one. I hate them! I don't even like my house phone, but I suffer through it - I just don't answer it, the wife and kids do.

Wow. That would of been exactly what I would of said. I don't want anything to do with the things.
Lately my wife has been telling me she wants a camera phone. We have a camera! What good is a camera phone?

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I resisted for ages, but then the practical side of it all appealed to me...now I want to get a new phone...by new I mean off ebay...like I'd spend loads on a brand new phone when I can get the exact same design for half the price.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I have no use for one, I dont want to pay for one, and usually Dont want to talk to anyone who has interrupted me.

Pointless.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   

I can understand the aspect that it detracts from the face-to-face format of communication…But given the pace we’re expected to follow at these days, maximizing your availability means you can get things done faster…

It’s certainly not for everyone – But it’s a creature-comfort for those who are seeking more control over their lives…

Wrong and right and wrong.

Pace we're expected to follow-to dad burned fast for what we get out of it. Put it down and forget about work, etc. Why the "need" for speed? So one can go do something else they would not really like to be doing?

It has NOT given you more control. It now controls you.

Yes, great in emergencies IF only used that way. Real emergencies. Not talking to the daughter about what store so and so is.

YOU have fallen into the trap.

[edit on 11-10-2005 by madmanacrosswater]

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I had one while my dad was still alive since he has passed on so has my cell phone.

On a different note

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I don't really answer my cell phone unless I'm expectign a call but I have it on me in case of an emergency or somethign like that. The rigner is usually on vibrate or off.

I do use it instead of my house phone so I don't have to worry bout my parents missign a call or something.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by madmanacrosswater
It has NOT given you more control. It now controls you.

YOU have fallen into the trap.

I'd have to disagree with you there...

But you're more than welcome to believe so...

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
My fiance and I each have one and a plan where we can call each other for free. That's about the only time I use mine (not sure about her). It's great when we split up in a store to do some shopping, and then don't have to wander for two hours trying to find the other. I also like the idea of not having to flag someone down if I do break down somewhere. And--not that it's been needed yet--I like being able to tell my clients they can call me if their websites or programs break at a really bad time.

As far as it controlling me, I can't exactly say it gets used enough to deserve that term.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I don't own a cell phone, and I personally hate talking on any phone !

Probably because the home phone gets so much spam crap telemarketing.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I need my cell phone. It tells me what to do, and where to go every day. If my cell phone didn't plan my day for me then I'd never get anything done.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I've never had a cell phone.

I'm not so much resisting them, I've just never gotten around to it. I don't even answer my home phone most of the time.

I don't like talking on the phone very much.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I succumbed to the cell phone when my daughter reached driving age. She now has the phone-camera-textmessaging-fishfinder model while I still have pretty much a basic phone.

I can understand someone's reluctance to owning one, though. A word of caution - if you do decide to get one, make sure you get an adequate plan for coverage and minutes used. It can be a very expensive experience if you aren't careful.

Post here and I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice on what to get and what to avoid.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Having a cellphone is cheaper than having a "regular" home phone where I live. I have a contract that ends in June. My husband got a pay-as-you-go cellphone.

I use an earphone with my cellphone when I'm driving. Most likely, though, I'll ignore it if it rings.

I just wish my sister would quit leaving a bazillion messages a day in my voice mail....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join