It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 11 Kingdoms of the Post-Nuclear UK

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I was watching a program (documentry of some description) a while ago, the part that relates to this thread is the part of the program where the presenter visits a nuclear fall-out watch post designed to measure and report the levels of radiation after a global nuclear war.

While the general waffling about nuclear blasts and radiation fall-out was being discussed the person who ''manned'' the post during part of the cold war mentioned the ''11 Kingdoms'' of the UK.
The idea being the UK is pretty much a mess after any nuclear war, communication fried, command chain in ruins, so the idea was to split the UK into 11 Kingdoms, thus making a post-nuclear war UK much easier to manage.

But thats where my knowledge of the 11 Kingdoms end, I was wondering if you kind folk know anything interesting about these 11 Kingdoms, such as ''where the 11 kingdoms were'', ''who was in charge of each kingdom'', ''did other countries have similar plans''

thanks

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I havent heard of this before, but it would make sense to spit the UK into different administrative districts. It would make things easier seeing as the whole command and control infastucture would be in pieces. Ill have a look and see if i can find anything, you have peaked my intrest now Wizard.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Finally I've found something:

Link to Source
In order to present a credible civil defence structure, secret plans were drawn up to ensure that should war have broken out the government would survive to lead and reconstruct post war Britain. From the ashes of a thermo-nuclear conflict the UK was split into 11 defence regions, each with a Regional Government Headquarters (RGHQ) protected to a high standard against the effects of nuclear weapons.

So in reality they were ''defence regions'' rather than Kingdoms, maybe Kingdom is like a nickname of sorts.

It all makes sense to me splitting the nation into 11 defence regions, if for example the nation was run as one defence region then if that single command was wiped out then the UK would be without leadership.
But with the 11 defence regions idea atleast a few would survive.

[edit on 10-10-2005 by UK Wizard]

[edit on 10-10-2005 by UK Wizard]

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
The UK plan was to divide the country into 11 sub regions, each with one main bunker and a reserve, plus at least one central bunker. The plan was that someone somewhere would hopefully survive!

Look at www.subbrit.org.uk for more bunker details.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Ive heard about this before, Some time ago when i visited Hack Green Nuclear Bunker in Cheshire

So this would be the new rule of the UK after the bomb drops.

It would prevent the UK going 'Post Apocalyptic' or 'Mad Max' or any other form of anarchy.

[edit on 2-2-2006 by Browno]

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 08:11 PM
link   
are quite well documented - you can get a copy of some of the material in one of those cheap bookstores along with a copy of the notorious govenment leaflet and a glossy book (so I saw recently). As of today most of the sites are redundant - indeed some are now in private ownership (and I believe in once case offer offfsite backup server farms to businesses). Oh and FYIW the one in Londonderry (Derry) was my student union till we had it dug up and built a new one - nicknamed - The Bunker.

[edit on 2-2-2006 by Silk]

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 08:14 PM
link   
but just took time to really look at the map - Its very close to some of the feudal regions I have seen in history books - some coincidence im sure but interesting all the same.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Wow you have me realy intrested now, it is a very good idea.

I wonder if it is still in effect, or have they gotten rid of that plan.

I might look into this more, and see what i can dig up.

Ohh and just for fun im in area 10, Liverpool (which is were i am from) would shurly be one of the places to be hit, being the closet port to America.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   
long ago - most of the bunkers are in less than servicable condition - and in many cases simply sealed off. As for evidence of an existing plan - well we dont know - but there is still a manhole cover outside Buckingham Palace that is padlocked off and said to lead to a branch Underground line direct to Heathrow.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 08:24 PM
link   
funnily enough it is quite similar to the old kingdoms of anglo saxon time:

I wonder why its in these particular configuration, it doesnt pay much attention to county boundarys.. ie london is one area and whole of north east is another... It could be to do with population densitiys I suppose:
Anyhow

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Thats precisely the map I was thinking of. I was also looking at one in the Boudica books that predate the roman invasion of Claudiaus

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silk
long ago - most of the bunkers are in less than serviceable condition - and in many cases simply sealed off. As for evidence of an existing plan - well we don't know - but there is still a manhole cover outside Buckingham Palace that is padlocked off and said to lead to a branch Underground line direct to Heathrow.

Probably, but that is not to say that they haven't got new bunkers that arn't public knowlage, just a idea.

It's like there is suppose to be a nuclear bunker still in use, under the Liverpool docks area. I have been trying to research this but i'm not having much look in that area. I used to work on those dock and would see allot of military activity in one deserted area of the docks. When you go to that area there is a old pump house and a lovely looking old clock, but more interesting is that there are a few heavy steel doors in the ground that are locked. There is no reason for these doors to be there as there is nothing mechanical in that area.
This is the area in question.

[edit on 2-2-2006 by picklewalsh]

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Bunkers near liverpool...
I have heard of the one by the docks. My dad did some work in the 70s on an area beside the m62, coming out of liverpool, I cant remember the name of the exact place... It was supposedly a food dump, a bunker full of tins. There is now a civil airport there.

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigdanprice
Bunkers near liverpool...
I have heard of the one by the docks. My dad did some work in the 70s on an area beside the m62, coming out of liverpool, I cant remember the name of the exact place... It was supposedly a food dump, a bunker full of tins. There is now a civil airport there.

Hey Dan, i think the place by the M62 your thinking of is called Burtonwood Airfield. Here are some links:
www.controltowers.co.uk...

Also have a read of THIS and a look at the pics at the bottom of the page.

[edit on 3-2-2006 by picklewalsh]

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Thats the name!
You can see quite clearly driving past that its more than just a field and an airport... lots of mysterious unused hangers.
That website is great... I cant believe my Dad was right! It must have been a depot for Area 10. #

I wonder wether weaponry or command is distributed to each area.. such as the ability to order a retaliatory nuclear strike?
Interesting stuff!

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Its a bit interesting they just let scotland act as its own entity instead of having it have several kingdoms.

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Guys, they're not regions or districts.

They are Army Brigade formations. I belong to 43 (Wessex) Brigade, as I'm based in Gloucester.

I used to be in 54 Bde which covers the Nottingham erea etc.

I'll try to get more info for you.

[edit on 3-2-2006 by fritz]

[edit on 3-2-2006 by fritz]

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   
This makes me think that the areas are organised by population. Though there is more ground to cover in Scotland there are fewer people.

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Of course its population.

The south is more densely populated, hence more regions, London is the most densly populated, therefore is a region unto itself.

Scotland is huge but empty. Best place to be in a nuclear war!

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Uncle Joe
Of course its population.

The south is more densely populated, hence more regions, London is the most densly populated, therefore is a region unto itself.

Scotland is huge but empty. Best place to be in a nuclear war!

Theres over 5 million people....is that "empty"?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join