It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To our Health Experts a question on masks

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Something else we all need to take into consideration, and I haven't seen brought up yet, is protection for the eyes.

It's not really going to matter whether you get the nanomask, the N95, nor how expensive they are if you are leaving your eyes exposed. Anyone care to discuss?

I apologize if this have been covered, I read through the thread rather quickly.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
That's not a bad question, about the eyes...

Oh, and I just purchaced a box of 10 of the N95 filters. Might buy more but I wanted to get some in case there was a "rush."

I see a mask as a stopgap measure. I think the problem is that an airborne pathogen would be more dangerous getting inside your lungs then getting on the mucosal membrane area in your eyes.

[edit on 9-10-2005 by Toxic Fox]

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I read through this pdf rather fast, but it seems to have some good advice on what to expect, what to stock up on, and how to take care of infected family members (don't count on going to the hospital - not a good idea):

crofsblogs.typepad.com...

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
It's my understanding that you can get it from rubbing your eyes etc...so I'm just gonna go with wearing sunglasses...there's just too much else to buy and I'm not rich...that and avoid touching my eyes at all cost...or I'm totally wrong and that's completely possible cuz I'm not in a medical field at all. loll
We should find out from someone who knows....anyone know?!

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by maidenwolf
It's my understanding that you can get it from rubbing your eyes etc...so I'm just gonna go with wearing sunglasses...there's just too much else to buy and I'm not rich...that and avoid touching my eyes at all cost...or I'm totally wrong and that's completely possible cuz I'm not in a medical field at all. loll
We should find out from someone who knows....anyone know?!

Goggles should suffice, but not sunglasses. Just think of being in a room when someone sneezes.

Edit: Here's a good place to go for information:

www.fluwikie.com...

[edit on 10-10-2005 by SourGrapes]

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Sour Grapes that was a good pdf that you posted -- It brought up a few things I hadn't thought about and will add to my list. And the fluwikie site looks interesting I bookmarked it to look at it later tonight. Thanks

The eye thing is interesting also - Especially with having had Pink Eye recently and realizing how easy it is to get that and to reinfect yourself certainly pointed out how the eyes can be a pathway for virus or bacteria.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Ok could anybody give me an idea of how much these N95's cost? I'm considering buying a few just incase there is a pandemic.

Also, other than masks, is there anything else that we should wear? Were could I obtain N95's? How long should each one last? Also this may seem a bit off topic, but what about gloves? Would those be nessesary?

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
Ok could anybody give me an idea of how much these N95's cost? I'm considering buying a few just incase there is a pandemic.

Also, other than masks, is there anything else that we should wear? Were could I obtain N95's? How long should each one last? Also this may seem a bit off topic, but what about gloves? Would those be nessesary?

I've seen a variety of prices from about $1 each to much more. I'm thinking about getting some of the basic ones as I don't think hospitals would spend much more than that on theirs. Some of the more expensive ones have valves that let your breath out supposedly without letting outside air just come thru that valve. But I don't know how much I would trust a valve like that on something that is one time use only.

It is funny you mention gloves I was thinking about that myself today -- just in case you need to get out to a store or doctors or something. Mainly I was thinking if I were in a store do I want to be touching the handlebar of the cart that someone else has touched. And if the laytex gloves you can get in Price Club or BJ's occasionally would be good for that -- I actually use them for cleaning as I am allergic to lots of cleaning supplies (like Clorax) and can't touch them.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   
One the first page of this thread there were some links to places to buy the N95 masks...

Goggles are probably a very good idea, but I've got to find the cheapest of everything I possibly can...*sigh*

fluwiki is a great site, and I've been reading it for a while now cuz they have great ideas and info...for those who haven't been there I suggest you go, bookmark it, and check often as they update things.

That pdf file has good info too...I made a terrible assumption thinking that since I lived far in the north the flu season here would still be short as usual....according to this pdf in a pandemic that all flies out the window...that's not good, and I while I was upset about it, I was still glad to find out now before it was too late. So thanks for that, cuz it could save the 'ol bacon!

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   
maidenwolf
Where can these masks be bought?
I would like to know so I can buy some for my family.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Hello all,
Wouldn't the current US Army issue M40A1 gas mask (with C2A1) filters provide protection? Some of us have been trained to the point that we can spend at least a day at a time in a mask....so don't immediately rule out the comfort aspect.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Please go to the first page of this thread and I put a couple links there for the basic, disposable N95 masks...

We also talked about using the masks that aren't disposable and you just change a filter or cartridge of some sort...I won't be using those due to cost and the question of having to disinfect the whole mask at least daily if not several times a day if you are caring for sick family members. I would rather just toss them out and get a clean one myself...the Nanomasks are only good for 10-20 minutes each in a hot zone, and are too pricey for my pocket, so the ones I linked to are for people like my family that are on the poorer end of the scale.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I was thinking more along the lines of stores off of the internet. Buying off the internet isn't usually an option for me, and I prefer to see the product in person before I buy it. That and I hate the delivery time. If I'm in the middle of a pandemic, I'll need N95's immediatly.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
I was thinking more along the lines of stores off of the internet. Buying off the internet isn't usually an option for me, and I prefer to see the product in person before I buy it. That and I hate the delivery time.

Maybe a home health care place -- we have one in town but it will be the end of the week before I could check if they have them in our town. Might be an option for you. Or maybe a Pharmacy like Rite Aide or CVS could order them.. Not sure but worth checking into.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Basically, both the N95 and N100 (and above) masks are reasonably effective in preventing transmission of currently known strains of the N5 and N7 and H 1 (and known variants) of the N5H1 avian flu virus. Our office has ordered N100 multi use masks, so as to avoid having to take the things on and office throughout the day. If we do get a air transmitted strain (and the WHO reports 4 and possibly 5 cases of human to human transmission, but the route is not reported), then I don't want to be taking a disposable mask off after every patient or every few patients. That would seem to increase the risk of transmission via air droplets from patients coughing and sneezing in the hallways.
IF air transmission has happened, it will get here eventually.
Wash hands (including webbing) OFTEN, wear a mask in potential exposure settings, and get as healty as possible.
Good luck to all

E Workman,MD

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagicaRose
maidenwolf
Where can these masks be bought?
I would like to know so I can buy some for my family.

There are some links on the previous page. Forgot the name of the company I got them from, it was like 10 for $17.00 with shipping, which was pretty fast. Good deal.

The site in question is called "Masks N' More." That's where I bought ten N95s.

Masks N' More

[edit on 15-10-2005 by sanctum]

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Double post.

[edit on 15-10-2005 by sanctum]

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Personally, I would purchase one of those big ones which cover the whole face which are used in the military. If it's good against biological and chemical weapons, it's good enough for Avian bird flu.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Is this the type of face mask you are talking about?

are you planning on using it with the other mask or alone? I don't know how much good it would do alone is why I ask.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
We need to keep an eye on possible H5N1 cases. Here's an article about a man in Italy who's now in isolation. We'll have to wait and see if tests come back neg or pos for H5N1. Doesn't sound good, that's for sure.

www.agi.it...

BIRD FLU: AT MOLINETTE TURIN 29 YEAR-OLD IN ISOLATION
(AGI) - Turin, Italy, Oct 15 - A Turin man of 29 is being treated at Amedeo di Savoia hospital after having been isolated at Molinette with suspected pneumonia.
(snip)
Medical staff, according to what has been learned, are following the normal protocols and checks for serious infectious diseases, such as for example, bird flu.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join