It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robot Vehicles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I wasn't sure where to post this so mods if this is in the wroing place please point me in the right direction.

My question is - if we develop robot vehicles and it appears we have how long will it take for us to move to peopleless wars? The human race becoming even more redundant.

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lady of the Lake
I wasn't sure where to post this so mods if this is in the wroing place please point me in the right direction.

My question is - if we develop robot vehicles and it appears we have how long will it take for us to move to peopleless wars? The human race becoming even more redundant.

www.abc.net.au...

We aren't anywhere near a time where we can build robots which can do anything like you're asking.

Nowhere near it.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Well with UAVs and ground based robots we are making steps to taking humans out of war. Peopless wars I doubt in any of our life times but I would discount the possiblitly in the future.

Robots are just really dumb right now and thats the biggest problem. Last DARPA Grand Challenge not a single robot came even came close to finishing the race.

The Human mind is just so much better then any machine right now. Things humans take for granted are just really hard for robots to do.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 02:49 AM
link   
barring a serious quantum leap in several key technologies people less wars are strictly sci fi for a long long time. Logistically the infantry man cannot and will not be beat for certain tasks for possibly generations... He is self maintaining, can fix minor problems with his gear or god forbid you could teach a robot this! IMPROVISE, and has millions of years of hardwired reflexes geared towards killing things right out of the box.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   
geez guys talk about unimaginative
Lady of the Lake obviously
knows that the question if at all wont come true for aaaaages. Just imagine.....

Great leaps in technology?? that wont take long. 100 years ago
we didnt have fridges, cars, toasters. 100 years later we have
a space station orbiting earth, from corsets and witchhunts. 50
years ago, we wouldnt be having this conversation, mobile phones
as big as houses in the 70's, etc.

In 5 years, (5 years!) weve gone from tapes to the ipod nano.
This robotics war could be as near as 50 - 200 years from now

Make a point much?

[edit on 9-10-2005 by Shadow88]

[edit on 9-10-2005 by Shadow88]

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow88
geez guys talk about unimaginative
Lady of the Lake obviously knows that the question if at all wont come true for aaaaages.

Exactly, but then again progress could be much faster than we imagine.

In 5 years, (5 years!) weve gone from tapes to the ipod nano. This robotics war could be as near as 50 - 200 years from now

At the weekend the Japanese demonstrated some really exciting robotics. It is about will and the will not to sacrifice humans in the war game. Then again, those who foster wars don't care about human carnage, we are merely another commodity...pondering on this point.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   
LOL oops yea....
kinda contradicted myself there!

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lady of the Lake
The human race becoming even more redundant.

www.abc.net.au...

And thats a bad thing?

Peace on earth will never happen as long as we're running things.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
[Peace on earth will never happen as long as we're running things.

On the other hand we could all start to wake up to ourselves, start to behaviour like responsible human beings and change the balance in our favour. That would be a lot to ask would it.

Peace - a wonderful dream but without dreamers we have nothing.

new topics

top topics

join