It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't be racist in Singapore! Thou shall be jailed!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Humster

Hmmm.... might I ask which country you are from? You choice of words and sentense kinda look really local in SG.

Back to your question.

It does actually. I seen how insulted the person feel when someone else gave him the suprised look.

To quote Molson's: "I am Canadian"

Point Taken.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chunkster

To quote Molson's: "I am Canadian"

Point Taken.

Lol, the time you spent here must really be a long time.

The Term "Ang Mo" is the first time I came across here in this forums.

What race are you?

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   

What race are you?

Humster, you're question shows that Singaporeans are quite concerned with race. I apologize for the generalization, but this has been my experience.

My "race" has no bearing on this conversation or any conversation. Or shall I answer by saying "Human Race"

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   

What race are you?

Humster, you're question shows that Singaporeans are quite concerned with race. I apologize for the generalization, but this has been my experience.

My "race" has no bearing on this conversation or any conversation. Or shall I answer by saying "Human Race"

funny we talk about something that doesn't exist.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I lived in Singapore for three years. It's a wonderful place to live. Cleaner, safer, and more high tech than most western cities. Not to mention with great food and lovely weather. If you don't support the People's Action Party, you're in a bit of a lurch, but then the PAP brought Singapore from nothing into a society with a very prosperous middle class and one of the strongest economies in the region under its leadership. It is also surprisingly corruption-free.

Lee Kuan Yew in the eighties decided to combat both gang violence and racial tension by dividing up the HDB projects (think US housing projects, but clean and safe- some apartments have even been resold by their original owners for hundreds of thousands of dollars) into staggered race buildings. That is to say, in each building, one apartment would be for an indian family, one for a malay family, one for a chinese family, and so on. The point being, Singapore is something of a pioneer when it comes to social engineering, and so far its policies seem to have created a very efficient and harmonious society.

(BTW- Many people only know Singapore on the basis of two facts. Let me clear them up here. 1.) chewing gum is now sadly legal in Singapore- I expect the subway and sidewalk floors have turned icky with black spots since I was there. 2.) The story of Mike Fay, the "kid who was caned," has been exagerrated in the US. For those who know the circumstances of his caning, it did not seem unwarranted.)

-koji K.

[edit on 11-10-2005 by koji_K]

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Lol, which sub species of the Human Race

Race is one hell of a issue here. Since, a small scale racial roit can REALLY tear this nation up.

We surived this far because all the races, at least the majority understand one thing.

We are all on the same ship. In fighting will not do any good.

Can't say about the newer generation (>.....>;

But at least for me, I want this Country to be free fro racism.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by koji_K
(BTW- Many people only know Singapore on the basis of two facts. Let me clear them up here. 1.) chewing gum is now sadly legal in Singapore- I expect the subway and sidewalk floors have turned icky with black spots since I was there.)

-koji K.

[edit on 11-10-2005 by koji_K]

Uh...actually chewing gum never did die off. People still chew them, since they bought them elsewhere *cough*JB*cough*

As for the legal chewing gum, only if the gum has Dental health properties.

And they do cost a bomb per tube

The latest thing I'm looking at is the plan to BAN SMOKING in Singapore over a few years.
(no...we are not issuing new laws that places cigerttes under Cat A or B drugs.
)

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aether

Awesome quote from..can't remember, went along the lines of "Freedom of speech gives people the right not to think".

Throw em in jail, racism needs to end.

Yeah what a great idea just throw them in jail that will end racism .
All that will do is be a weak attempt to sweep the problem under the rug. Throwing people in jail really helped with drug use man that move won the war on drugs

The only way to combat racism is through education and understanding

[edit on 11-10-2005 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Yeah what a great idea just throw them in jail that will end racism .
All that will do is be a weak attempt to sweep the problem under the rug. Throwing people in jail really helped with drug use man that move won the war on drugs

The only way to combat racism is through education and understanding

[edit on 11-10-2005 by ShadowXIX]

And going hard handed when the time comes.

We do that here too. But not sure now much students understand.

But the most important of all, its the upbringing and the person himself. Education, hard handed tactics can only work this much.

Remember the first piece of advice my parents and grandparents gave me when I'm 5 years old, my first day in school.

"Don;t be a racist in school"

[edit on 11-10-2005 by Humster]

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I agree a childs upbringing is perhaps the most important factor in racism. I think the only way your going to change that is with education of people.
If you throw a kids parents in jail because they are racist do people think thats going to make their kid not become racist? That could infact make the problem worst. The effects on kids of having a parent in jail are well documented and they aint exactly positive.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I........... The effects on kids of having a parent in jail are well documented and they aint exactly positive.

Cool.

But things have to be done.

Laws have to be obeyed

Jail terms have to be served.

Just because of throwing parent in jail = bad for kids, then, every criminal should start a family and have tons of kids and use it as an excuse to get out of jail free.

You break the law, you take resposibility of your actions. Taking responsibilty is the best action, parent can teach their children.

[edit on 11-10-2005 by Humster]

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I wasnt saying that people with kids shouldnt be thrown in jail if they break the law.

What I am saying is thinking locking up racists people will end or help stop racism is a fallacy. Its a weak attempt to to hide the problem and will probably make the problem worse.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   

What I am saying is thinking locking up racists people will end or help stop racism is a fallacy. Its a weak attempt to to hide the problem and will probably make the problem worse.

If someone plan to hide the problem of racism, there are 2 ways, SURE kill ways to do it.

1) Total denial even to the victim that it exists.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIXWhat I am saying is thinking locking up racists people will end or help stop racism is a fallacy. Its a weak attempt to to hide the problem and will probably make the problem worse.

Well if thats the case what will you do about it?

Juz take a look at our neighbour Indonesia. They do not supress racism and yet wat happened? Genocides. I dun think we are covering up any racism problems, 'cause we have none.

Feel so sad for those 2 guys. They did not thought that a remark that seems casual to them will end them up in jail...

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 03:48 AM
link   

The latest thing I'm looking at is the plan to BAN SMOKING in Singapore over a few years.

I travel to Singapore and Malaysia once a month. You get my vote for banning smoking. I HATE it but that is about the only thing I don't like that is apart from the smell of Durian fruit..

Singapore is a wonderful place - clean, safe and beautiful. I don't think anyone feels repressed. Malaysia I also love but what I have noticed and it has shocked me somewhat is how outspoken some people are in both countries about and to quote 'we hate Malays or Singaporeans'. This has created a number on interesting inter-cultural discussions in my business.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join