It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black/Blood Pudding (Not for Wimps)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Black Fried Meat Pudding (Irish)
Yield: 8 Servings

1 lb Pig's liver
1 1/2 lb Unrendered lard, chopped
120 fl Pig's blood
2 lb Breadcrumbs
4 oz Oatmeal
1 Medium onion, chopped
1 ts Salt
1/2 ts Allspice
1 Beef casings

Always served with an Irish "fry". The preparation of this pudding may be impractical these days due to the difficulty of procuring fresh pig's blood and casings.

Stew liver in boiling salted water until tender. Remove liver, and mince. Reserve cooking liquor. Mix all ingredients in large bowl. Stir thoroughly until blended. Fill casings with mixture. Tie off in one-foot loops. Steam for 4-5 hours. Leave until cold.

Cut into 1/2 inch slices as required and fry in hot fat on both sides until crisped.

Black Pudding, one of the great creations of civilised society, is essentially congealed pig's blood in a length of intestine. There are many variations; in England, the pudding is usually bound with rusk and has bits of fat in it. The French have their boudin noir with nowt but blood in the casing, the Germans blotwürst, the Spanish morcilla which is often bound with rice. Can there be a finer sight in a shop window than a freshly cooked black pudding, still steaming slightly, looking like... er... a slimy coil of warm intestine filled with congealed blood?

www.g4cio.demon.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 04:51 AM
link   
You can't beat a bit of black pudding with a fry-up breakfast!

Thanks for posting that; I always wondered how to make it, will probably give it a go. Good quality black pudding is getting harder to find now as the good butchers shops are closing down due to supermarkets.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Where i live in Yorkshire black pudding was an integral part of the good old English Breakfast. A butcher near me won Gold Medals for his black pudding.
Its very nice.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Here in ireland black pudding is part of the staple breakfast along with 3 pints of guinness
I love the stuff but I prefere white pudding.Have you tryed that recipe out yourself Questor? I'm curious as I always get mine from the butchers

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Sorry but the thought of eating sausage stuffed with blood just turns my stomach

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Its not a sausage stuffed with blood...its an intestine stuffed with blood..

top topics

join