It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rocket Trivia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   
This Rocket was and is extremly famous it has a common name but its offical name is the A-4 rocket. It was developed at the Peeneemunde Facality.

Do you know the name of the A-4? (no google/ search engine)

It is no longer in production but it is still highly famous.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mizar
This Rocket was and is extremly famous it has a common name but its offical name is the A-4 rocket. It was developed at the Peeneemunde Facality.

I'm not quite sure about this one I always thought it the A-4 was a jet fighter. Peeneemunde sounds German so I'm going to have to say th V2, it was quite famous and no longer in production. Kinda obvious.

Question: What were the three rockets that were in competition during the Mercury space program?

GoldEalge

[edit on 10/6/2005 by GoldEagle]

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   
ah yes. When VOn Braun and his team created the V-2's they named it the A-4 for it was their first sucessful rocket ( they had 3 before) The first A-4 launch went up in 1934 at 600 punds. It flew to an altitude of 6,500 feet.

On the verry first launch Von Braun is said to have said "Today, the spaceship tis born!"

When Hitler and the third Reich got wind of the large sucessful rocket Von Braun and his team were put to work making them for the military and hitler renamed the rocket the V- 2. or Vengance wepon two.

And if you want to get technical the A-4 / V2 was created at a rocket center near berlin called Kummersdorf and when the third reich got moving they moved the team along with 17,000 technicians to Peenemuende.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I know its Atlas, Redstone and then I am not sure if its Juno or Jupiter 1.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I think there where only two though if I think about it. For some reason the name Gemini came to my mind. Gemini could have been the product of modifying the rocket.

Atlas and Redstone are both correct.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Well Mercury was the USA first maned space program then it was followed by gemini. When the redstone rockets became unreliable they moved to atlas then made bigger rockets like juno and jupiter to be able to launch larger payloads. Gemini was a 2 man mission. Mercury was one guy in one capsule and Gemini (as its name hints) was 2 men in one capsule. SO for the extra weight for life support systems and people they had to use bigger rockets...

actually the same bell capsule modle used in the Mercury crafts were modified to for the gemini missions so they fit 2 guys in an area that was almost to small for one.... then they thought about doing 3 but appollo came around and everything changed.

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Can we post our own?

If the propellant is the combined properties liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen, what are the two (liquid hydrogen, liquid oxygen) known individualy as?

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Liquid Fuel and Oxidizer ?

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Correct.

Now, what hyperactive element, that is found in some detergents, can be used as an oxidizer in some rockets?

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty
Now, what hyperactive element, that is found in some detergents, can be used as an oxidizer in some rockets?

Hydrogen Peroxide?
(really it's an educated guess.)

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 05:01 AM
link   
flourine could be used as an oxidizer

it be hard to put in a container though
my chemistry teacher said something like a platinum/iridium vessel would have to be used to hold it

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by GoldEagle
I think there where only two though if I think about it. For some reason the name Gemini came to my mind. Gemini could have been the product of modifying the rocket.

Atlas and Redstone are both correct.

from the fuzzy memory vault...there was a "Centaur" rocket type

**but i'm not sure if the Centaur was a next generation version of Atlas....& so named as Atlas-Centaur, ?? or a stand alone rocket

I do remember there was an 'Atlas-Aegena' (spelling?) which was a next generation

you might observe that all the early missles & rockets were named
more or less after Roman figures...and the very large throw-weight
rocket motors, i think were developed from the Atlas then Saturn series
as the Redstone series withered up

? recall the Nike & Nike-Zeus, precursers to todays Patriot?
? recall the SNARK, the precurser to Drones & CruiseMissles & anti-missle-missles.................& other submarine launched ordinance
(i just might Google up, to see how scrambled the ole noggin has gottin)

top topics

join