It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is god in hell?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   
If you believe in god, do you also believe he is omnipresent?

In several other threads, I have seen hell described not as a place of torture, but rather of eternal conscious separation from god. Supposedly, hell is a place for the unrepentant because god does not want to put up with sin eternally.

But doesn't this mean god is not in hell? If he were, then he has failed at his goal of being seperated from evil. But if he isn't in hell, then he isn't omnipresent.

Which is it?

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by spamandham
If you believe in god, do you also believe he is omnipresent?

Yes I do.

In several other threads, I have seen hell described not as a place of torture, but rather of eternal conscious separation from god. Supposedly, hell is a place for the unrepentant because god does not want to put up with sin eternally.

Hell is not a place, but a state of mind.

But doesn't this mean god is not in hell? If he were, then he has failed at his goal of being seperated from evil.

How do we know this is God's goal?

But if he isn't in hell, then he isn't omnipresent.

Which is it?

Omnipresent

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
That's right.

Omnipresent.

Hell is a dead state of mind.

Some time ago it occured to me that the concept of hell--as concerning one of the mainstream ideations that it's the only way to truly escape God--is actually a devious trick of the human mind ensconced in religion to the point of unconsciously hoping there is a hell and that they'll get to go there to avoid God altogether. It's easier to maintain self-delusion if one avoids facing self.

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Now what if what is termed as God is ultimately some kind of Creative Energy Pattern?.

And for God to be able to express, would not a abstract opposite be needed or present?.

Thus what is termed as God would not be Omnipresent?.

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePunisher
Now what if what is termed as God is ultimately some kind of Creative Energy Pattern?.

And for God to be able to express, would not a abstract opposite be needed or present?.

Abstracts are only needed for outside observers to be able to observe the opposite. But God, is neither good nor bad, he just is, and as such needs no opposite.

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Exactly. The human condition of duality is where the idea of opposition and conflict arise. Both necessary, however, for overcoming that duality as the delusion it truly is.

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
God is everywhere. He holds the universe together.
Therefore, He is 'in' Hell. It is God's love that burns
those in Hell. They feel Him and His love, and they
don't want it. Therefore, that's what burns.

At least, that's what I think. Hopefully I won't
experience Hell so I hope to never know for sure.

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Hell------ A Place of eternal Punishment and sorrow...

The Sea gave up the dead that were in it , and Death and Hades give up the Dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done.

Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of Fire, The lake of Fire is the Second Death. If anyone's name was not Found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of Fire for Eternally......

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jfdarby
The Sea gave up the dead that were in it , and Death and Hades give up the Dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done.

Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of Fire, The lake of Fire is the Second Death. If anyone's name was not Found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of Fire for Eternally......

You've convinced me

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by AkashicWanderer

Abstracts are only needed for outside observers to be able to observe the opposite. But God, is neither good nor bad, he just is, and as such needs no opposite.

If God is termed as a Energy Pattern, it would be the Omnipotent Source, the Creation however would be outside of this Energy to differing degrees?.

Omnipotence would be deep in this Energy Pattern (God), and as is described in this thread the outside would be Omnipotent, but probably in different ways to what is described as God.

So opposites would indeed exist?.

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
God is everywhere. He holds the universe together.
Therefore, He is 'in' Hell. It is God's love that burns
those in Hell. They feel Him and His love, and they
don't want it. Therefore, that's what burns.

I think that, too.

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   

So to agree with your point as well, God would not 'need' opposites, but they would exist as well?.

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   

If God is termed as a Energy Pattern, it would be the Omnipotent Source, the Creation however would be outside of this Energy to differing degrees?.

If that was a question, my answer is no.

Omnipotence would be deep in this Energy Pattern (God), and as is described in this thread the outside would be Omnipotent, but probably in different ways to what is described as God.

I really don't understand what you're trying to say here, it may be because I don't know what you're interpreting as outside, Energy Pattern, God, and Omnipotence.

So opposites would indeed exist?.

Exist where?

In our physical world, opposites exist as long as we identify with them. Once we stop mentally labelling and judging everything they cease to exist.

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I would say it as God knows what is going on everywhere all the time. So He knows who is in hell and what is going on there.

Someday all those who rejected Christ will exist in the Lake of Fire. God tells us that He forgets our sins when we accept Christ. What if when eternity begins and those who are in the Lake of Fire exist God forgets them for the rest of eternity.

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbrandt
Someday all those who rejected Christ will exist in the Lake of Fire. God tells us that He forgets our sins when we accept Christ. What if when eternity begins and those who are in the Lake of Fire exist God forgets them for the rest of eternity.

God created all life >> God gives each human different levels of consciousness, and in doing so gives each human different reasoning skills >> God takes away half of people with him >> Throws away other half because in the words of Jesus, "they know not what they do"...

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   

God created all life >> God gives each human different levels of consciousness, and in doing so gives each human different reasoning skills >> God takes away half of people with him >> Throws away other half because in the words of Jesus, "they know not what they do"...

The word consciousness leaves a bad taste in my spirit because it is used by the new agers. Unless someone is mentally handicapped and has a learning disorder I would say that people who learn about Christ and then chose to not pursue a relationship with God have used there own reasoning and decided to not pusue getting to know Him.

Are you talking a literal 1/2 of people?

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   

God tells us that He forgets our sins when we accept Christ.
Where did you hear that?

What if when eternity begins and those who are in the Lake of Fire exist God forgets them for the rest of eternity.
God forgets 'sins', not 'sinners.'

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   

The word consciousness leaves a bad taste in my spirit because it is used by the new agers.
Because you're blinded by labels, words, and prejudice. Are you conscious? It's a word used in the medical field, too.

Unless someone is mentally handicapped and has a learning disorder I would say that people who learn about Christ and then chose to not pursue a relationship with God have used there own reasoning and decided to not pusue getting to know Him.
So what kind of reasoning comes in to those who decide to pursue getting to know Him?

And how does that fit with the following?

No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.
--John 6:44-45 KJV

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   

The word consciousness leaves a bad taste in my spirit because it is used by the new agers.

I will provide a list of synonyms, feel free to choose a word that that doesn't leave a bad taste in your spirit.

1. Awareness
2. Understanding
3. Reasoning skills
4. Alertness
5. Perception
6. Intelligence
7. Mindfulness
8. Cognizance
9. Sentience

Unless someone is mentally handicapped and has a learning disorder I would say that people who learn about Christ and then chose to not pursue a relationship with God have used there own reasoning and decided to not pusue getting to know Him.

They have used their own reasoning, but who created their reasoning skills? God did, and in doing so gave them the ability to discern between information in various manners.

Are you talking a literal 1/2 of people?

No.

[edit on 7/10/2005 by AkashicWanderer]

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   

dictionary.com
Consciousness

1. Having an awareness of one's environment and one's own existence, sensations, and thoughts. See Synonyms at aware.
    2. Mentally perceptive or alert; awake: The patient remained fully conscious after the local anesthetic was administered.

1. Capable of thought, will, or perception: the development of conscious life on the planet.
  2. Subjectively known or felt: conscious remorse.
  3. Intentionally conceived or done; deliberate: a conscious insult; made a conscious effort to speak more clearly.
  4. Inwardly attentive or sensible; mindful: was increasingly conscious of being watched.
  5. Especially aware of or preoccupied with. Often used in combination: a cost-conscious approach to further development; a health-conscious diet.

Mindful:

Greatly desiring to see thee, being mindful of thy tears, that I may be filled with joy; --2 Timothy 1:4 KJV

But one in a certain place testified, saying, What is man, that thou art mindful of him? or the son of man, that thou visitest him? --Hebrews 2:6 KJV

And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned. --Hebrews 11:15 KJV

That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour: --2 Peter 3:2 KJV

Aware:

The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of, --Matthew 24:50 KJV

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are as graves which appear not, and the men that walk over them are not aware of them. --Luke 11:44 KJV

The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers. --Luke 12:46 KJV

And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares. --Luke 21:34 KJV

And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage: --Galatians 2:4 KJV

Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. --Hebrews 13:2 KJV

For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ. --Jude 1:4 KJV

'New' Age (same as 'the next age?')

Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the one to come." --Matthew 12:32 ISV

The enemy who sowed them is the devil, the harvest is the end of the age, and the reapers are the angels. --Matthew 13:39 ISV

Just as weeds are gathered and burned with fire, so it will be at end of the age. --Matthew 13:40 ISV

That is how it will be at the end of the age. The angels will go out and separate the evil from the righteous --Matthew 13:49 ISV

While Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately and said, "Tell us, when will these things take place, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?" --Matthew 24:3 ISV

teaching them to obey all that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you each and every day until the end of the age." --Matthew 28:20 ISV

who will not receive a hundred times as much here in this world-homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children, and fields, along with persecutions-as well as eternal life in the age to come. --Mark 10:30 ISV

who will not receive many times as much in this world, as well as eternal life in the age to come." --Luke 18:30 ISV

Jesus said to them, "Those who belong to this age marry and are married, --Luke 20:34 ISV

but those who are considered worthy of a place in that age and in the resurrection from the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage. --Luke 20:35 ISV

Where is the wise person? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? God has turned the wisdom of the world into nonsense, hasn't he? --1 Corinthians 1:20 ISV

He gave himself for our sins in order to rescue us from this present evil age according to the will of our God and Father. --Galatians 1:4 ISV

He is far above every ruler, authority, power, dominion, and every name that can be named, not only in the present age but also in the one to come. --Ephesians 1:21 ISV

who have tasted the goodness of God's word and the powers of the coming age, --Hebrews 6:5 ISV

[edit on 10/7/2005 by queenannie38]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join