It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Airbus plans to go on ahead with the A350 plane.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

PARIS - Airbus parent European Aeronautic Defence and Space Co. approved plans Thursday to build the new Airbus A350 plane, designed to rival Boeing Co.'s 787 Dreamliner.

The decision to proceed with the plane comes as the United States and the European Union try to work out a settlement of a dispute over government support for their respective airline manufacturers. Airbus is based in France and Boeing is in Chicago.

Under pressure from Washington, Airbus and its supporting governments — France, Germany, Britain and Spain — have so far stopped short of committing government funds to the A350 program.

i guess Airbus decided not to be to dependent on big airplanes like the Airbus 380 that would conquer the market because they assume the passengers would all get together in the same plane which would be more efficient to the airlines industry. get a whole lot of people in one plane instead of using two or three planes to get the same number of people in one location. now Airbus is competing for Boeing's Dreamliner 787 for fuel efficient aircraft. makes u wonder.....so much for that big planes would rule the skies.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I don't think Airbus ever claimed that the A380 would rule the skies, did they?

Rather they saw a market for a very big airliner and went for it, so far successfully. Now they are looking for other markets to go for and clearly the market aimed at by the 787 is one they think worth going after too.

Nothing mysterious about it. Boeing and Airbus have always had a wide range of airliners aiming for different markets simultaneously. Its perfectly normal practice.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Big planes are one section of the market, this is another, they are covering their bases.

If air travel is to boom as predicted, the big planes will be needed as airports will not be able to cope with the amount of take-off/landings needed using smaller planes.

As far as I was aware Boeing had orientated itself to minimise costs, so was in effect taking a mature technology approach to the 787 (i.e. not much R&D funding reducing unit cost).

I could be wrong though.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I´d rather say that this is a plan to deliver another heavy blow against Boeing. First Airbus won the medium market. With the A340-600, A380 and to-be-introduced A400M they achievedtechnical and economical superiority in the heavy lift/large capacity market.

And now they dont want to let the next battlefield slip away. Interestingly enough is that both the 787 and this A350 are direct derivatives of older models, yet, as the article says, development costs of the Airbus model will be only half as much as the 787 costs. I have the feeling that Boeing will have to face a hard time.

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Hmm, maybe its more accurate to say its a move to strengthen Airbus even further, that will just happen to hurt Boeing if it comes off?

I mean, to say Airbus is out to hurt Boeing smacks of a vindictiveness that wouldn't make for a good management business policy, the primary aim must be whats good for Airbus, although they may see hurting Boeing as a bonus

I also think you are incorrect in your view that both the 787 and A350 are derivatives of older designs. While this is partially true of the A350, which began life as a straight update of the A330 until Airbus realised it would have to make the aircraft substantially new to be competitive, the Boeing 787 is, I believe, entirely new in every aspect.

I happen to think that the 787 will win the majority of orders but the A350 will do well enough to maintain a healthy presence for Airbus and turn a profit for them, I would say with the 787 outselling the A350 by a ratio of maybe 3 to 2.

top topics

join