It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Halloween Short Story Contest - Can you Scare Me?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
It was dark and cold October night, the wind howled, swirling around the house, gaining entrance through tiny crevices and wailing through the halls like a weeping woman. Branches, bare of leaves tapped impatiently at the window and seem to warn yet threaten at the same time. The candles flickered as the wind once again found entrance into the room where a lone soul huddled in corner, back against the wall, awaiting an obviously feared and much dreaded companion to make its appearance. A blood curdling scream pierced the still night and within seconds a ghastly sight appeared in the room. He carried with him the remains of woman whose last scream was still resonating in the halls. Standing tall and dark, his presence encompassed the room, the figure in the corner shrunk smaller and meek voice was heard to whisper, "Welcome home, dark master".

Did that get you in the mood? I hope so, because this month's short story contest is all about the scary stuff, the paranormal, the unknown. The mysteries, legends and curses all associated with the most frightening night of the year, the night when the veil between worlds are at it's thinnest and mortals celebrate and pay reverence to the dead. All Hallow's Eve or Halloween, has been the source of inspiration for many chilling tales and there is nothing better than a good scare on our traditional fright night.

For this contest, your scary short story should be no less than 500 words.
Other than that I give you free reign to be creative. Just don't plagiarize, remember to use the writing tools provided in this forum and have fun.

Contest ends on October 28th at midnight EST, Winners Announced on October 31st.

First Place: 10,000 ATS points
Second Place: 8,000 ATS points
Third Place: 5,000 ATS points

Please include (HSSC) in the title. Limit (3) three entries per member.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Can anyone enter or do you need writer's status?

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   
ooooh, wcip...I do so love that Escher linograph. He is fantastic...and so 'October'. Gives me the willies... *shudder*

I don't know how I'm gonna do it, worldwatcher, what with the workshop and all, but you can count on a chilling, bloodcurdling, corpse dragger or two from me.

Good to see more people getting involved. I think the 500+ words for the story is an excellent way to go too. The entries will be truly bloodsoaked and nightmarish with lots of ripping talons and white fangs.

wooohooo!!!

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I have no problem with no less than 500 words. Any upper limits? Because I have a VERY interesting story in mind.
It'll be in the "Halloween" theme...but not in the way you think....

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Minimum is 500 words, no maximum limit has been set.

Any one can enter the contest, you don't need writer status to post in this subforum.

But any member that does enter the contest, will recieve Writer status.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I am soooooooooooooooooooooo in! You can count on a blood curdling, bone chilling, corpse rotting, fang nashing, claw ripping, Grim Reaping, freakin' creepy story from me. I already have one in the works.
MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Evily yours,
Void

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
When reading submissions be sure to be alone in the dark

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Where does one submit their finished work for entry into the contest?

Thanks,

-ADHD

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
ADHD,

Post your story on the Short Stories board.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   
interesting entries
keep them coming, and remember you don't need writer's status to post in this subforum, so get those entries in.

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I haven't dipped into the fiction-writing forums on this board yet. Are there any restrictions in terms of language, graphic-violence, etc.? My story also has a few illustrations (nothing overtly graphic), is it ok to include them?

[edit on 16-10-2005 by Cicada]

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Hey WW, Are you going to be around for the judging or is one of those darn hurricanes finally just going to blow you off the map? I remember we had to delay they judging of the haiku contest because katrina had you cleaning and rebuilding the old homestead.

Just some thoughts that came to me today. My prayers are with you again my friend.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher

"Welcome home, dark master"

Contest ends on October 28th at midnight EST, Winners Announced on October 31st. (3) three entries per member.

Well, now, that leaves us just a week to get that 1rst,2nd or 3rd entry in, doesn't it?

Better get cracking...mhua-ha-ha-ha-haaaa!!!!

Beat ya to the bump, ww...btw stay safe with Wilma...we don't want to have to go looking for you in Kansas.

m

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

"Welcome home, dark master"

Contest ends on October 28th at midnight EST, Winners Announced on October 31st. (3) three entries per member.

Last bump for worldwatcher, who is, no doubt, still without electrity and outside clearing debris and fixing the damage to her property after Wilma got through wreaking havoc.

I hope she's doing OK.

You now have 3 days left to enter this spooky contest.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I've got another chapter or two to go on my story. This is the kind of story I'd be making a novel out of!

My biggest problem is pacing. That's what's holding it up. I don't want to make it too long...but my major issue is pacing and how to cram it into a shorter story.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Can someone please post a link where to post these stories... sorry I am having trouble finding it. Thanks!

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by craig732
Can someone please post a link where to post these stories... sorry I am having trouble finding it. Thanks!

Right here in this forum. If you're entering the contest be sure to put (HSSC) along with the title.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Thank you, Amethyst; I understand now.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Don't worry guys and gals, I wouldn't miss this contest for anything, though difficult to keep a deadline, I will try to announce winners for Halloween, so get those last minute entries in.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Don't worry guys and gals, I wouldn't miss this contest for anything, though difficult to keep a deadline, I will try to announce winners for Halloween, so get those last minute entries in.

I was worried about you.....but i'm better now

Hope the homestead is in good shape and you and yours are doing well. It's good to see you back on the board.

Love and light my friend,

Wupy

top topics

<<   2 >>

join