It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Orleans To Cut 3,000 City Jobs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin announced that he was forced to cut 3,000 city employee jobs for lack of help from the federal government while millions are being paid to private contractors with ties to the Bush administration.
It would appear that the NEW New Orleans doesn't have a place for the old New Orleans people.

"I wish I didn't have to do this," Nagin said during an afternoon news conference, standing against a blue backdrop with an upbeat slogan - "Bring Back New Orleans" - that seemed to contrast with the glum announcement. "I wish we had the money, the resources to keep these people. The problem we have is we have no revenue stream."

"The announcement in New Orleans came on the same day that Bush, who once promised an expansive reconstruction effort that would provide the financial muscle behind "a powerful American determination to clear the ruins and build better than before," said in a Rose Garden news conference that the federal government must act in a fiscally responsible way."

www.courant.com...

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Why was the contract to clean & repair New Orleans given to Halliburton & other companies with strong ties to the Bush administration?
Why are 3,000 people losing jobs while private contractors are being paid by the US government to clean up New Orleans?
Wouldn't this money be better spent by hiring New Orleanians to restore New Orleans?
This is a classic case of the rich getting richer & the poor getting nothing...

Related News Links:
www.commondreams.org
www.cnn.com

[edit on 5-10-2005 by Watchman77]

[edit on 10/12/05 by FredT]

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Why was the clean up of New Orleans hired out to private contractors who have strong ties to the Bush administration?

Because they have strong ties with the Bush administration! Is that simple!

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   
So you would agree that the Bush administration plays favorites & pulls strings to give huge government contracts to companies they stand to gain from?

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Can add in employing KBR and Blackwater mercenaries in Nola too.

The US government is using their preferred strategy to put matters in the hands of corporations and Presidential cronies....you expected different?

Haliburton stock hits a fifty-year high, btw...no brainer there.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Why are 3,000 people losing jobs...

Viewed in the light of other posts here on ATS regarding 600 police officers on the payroll that never existed, I wonder if those 3,000 people really existed in the first place...

Ah here's that post

If what I think it correct this is just a CYA maneuver to purge those bogus payroll entries.

[edit on 2005/10/5 by McGrude]

new topics

top topics

join