It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How serious of a threat is Iran?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I have searched quite a bit on the subject but I can only find bits and pieces of information. I'm perhaps looking for a large article that explains how exactly Iran poses a threat to the rest of the world. What terrorist organizations exist within Iran? The serious long-term plans that the government has? How many troops the Americans have there? America's plan for Iran?

I of course understand that they have a questionable nuclear program, but I remain somewhat unknowledgeable about this.

Probably anything that talks about anything to do with Iran would be of interest to me. Or perhaps you could share your views.

[edit on 5-10-2005 by Alternative]

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Although I can't answer the more complex question, this one is pretty easy.

Originally posted by Alternative
How many troops the Americans have there?

None, if you mean how many troops they have in Iran. Iraq is although next door, and US has about 140,00 (and declining, as they are constantly rotating, and they want to downsize the amount there by about 10,000, plus many are dieing) troops in Iraq, and that's of course just the US troops, there are troops there from numerous other countries.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 03:00 AM
link   
>How serious of a threat is Iran?

I'm guessing Iran is at least as much of a threat to the US as a snowball. Possibly even a fairly large snowball...say, five or six inches across.

Seriously...let's say they have nuclear weapons. Let's say they have a few hundred state of the art ICBM's to launch them in.

So what?

What are they going to do? Fire them at us? I don't think so.

>What terrorist organizations exist within Iran?

Does it matter? Ireland has the IRA. Should we invade Ireland?

>The serious long-term plans that the government has?

Probably about the same plans as government everywhere else. Stay in power. Gain more power. Don't get blown up. Is an attack on the US the best way to accomplish any of those things? Probably not.

>America's plan for Iran?

I don't know. But, all of these people...

www.antiwar.com...
english.pravda.ru...
nuclearfree.lynx.co.nz...
www.informationclearinghouse.info...
www.parapundit.com...
www.lewrockwell.com...
www.vdare.com...
leiterreports.typepad.com... www.khilafah.com...

...seem to think we're planning on invading.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alternative
What terrorist organizations exist within Iran?

I don't think that the United States is concerned so much with home-grown Iranian terrorists as it is with the idea that Iran is one of the major sponsors of terrorist groups. The largest domestic group is the Mujahedeen-e-Khalq, which is actually opposed to the Islamist Iranian government, as is the National Liberation Army of Iran.

In terms of sponsoring terrorist organisations, Iran is accused of supporting groups including Hezbollah, Hamas, Palestinian Islamic Jihad, the Kurdistan Worker's Party and various African and Central Asian terrorist groups (Reference).

The following links might help you to understand why the United States consider Iran a potential threat:

Overview of State-Sponsored Terrorism

Iran At Intelligence.org

Iran, Israel and Nuclear Weapons In the Middle East

You might find the discussion on the following threads useful as well:

What Is Russia's Likely Response To Israeli Strikes On Iran?

Iran Could Use Oil As A Weapon If It Is Referred To The UNSC

Iran Attempting To Oust IAEA

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Thanks folks, I have a much better understanding of this situation now.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I don't think Iran should even be considered a threat to us. There's been a lot of posturing, talk about attacking Iran--and Cheney has been quoted as saying that when we're attacked again, we should attack Iran whether or not they had anything to do with it.

Keep in mind we hear only one side of it--what we're fed by the media--and typically we're fed propaganda, not facts.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Talking of propaganda, this one takes the cake with the headline "Army takes control of Iran nukes"

washingtontimes.com...

So, Israel and he US, primarily, are openly talking about pre-emptive attacks against Iranian nuclear research facilities and the reactor currently under construction. Irans response is to have the military take over the sites, understandable given the threats. I mean, who else would they have protect them? The local guild of window washers perhaps?

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
It is only 'terrorism' because we disagree with their cause.

Iran is no threat, in fact it is not even in the top ten threats to World Peace at the present moment even if they did gain Nuclear Weapon's, it'd just be to annoy Israel and to stop their control over the region.

new topics

top topics

join