It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Switzerland to Extradite Russian Nuke Chief to U.S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 05:47 AM
link   
The Swiss Justice Ministry has ruled that Yevgeny Adamov, a former Russian nuclear minister, will be extradited to the United States for trial on charges of conspiracy to transfer stolen money and securities, conspiracy to defraud the United States, money laundering, and tax evasion. Adamov is accused of taking money given to Russia by the U.S. intended for improving nuclear security in Russia. Russia had wanted Adamov to be sent there for prosecution and fears the U.S. could learn Russian nuclear secrets if he stands trial here.

www.foxnews.com
GENEVA — Switzerland decided Monday to extradite the Kremlin's former nuclear minister to the United States to face charges of stealing up to $9 million intended to improve nuclear security in Russia.

Moscow had hoped to try Yevgeny Adamov itself rather than risk his revealing nuclear secrets to the United States, and the Swiss decision set off high-level protests in Russia.

Switzerland's Justice Ministry ruled that Adamov must first face charges in U.S. courts, where he has been indicted on charges of conspiracy to transfer stolen money and securities, conspiracy to defraud the United States, money laundering and tax evasion.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'm glad the Swiss are sending him here instead of Russia. Perhaps we may be able to learn something from him, at least information about the depth of corruption in Russia's nuclear program -- something that could be very dangerous in today's terror environment.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Yevgeny Adamov was Russia's atomic energy minister from 1998 to 2001, when a parliamentary commission accused him of corruption. I suspect this ties in with Yukos & Iran's nuclear deals, and backroom plans are in the making.

On a lighter note: looks like he has a birthmark on his head too. Gorbi's relative?

[edit on 4-10-2005 by Regenmacher]

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 07:01 AM
link   
If the crimes were committed in Russia what the hell is he being extradited to the United States for? Typical American "me first" attitude

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I think he should be sent to Russia for trial, not the US.

He'll probably get a few years in prison and then be deported back to Russia. Anyways....US tax dollars should not be invested in the imprisonment of this guy.

He stole the money from Russia, not the US. Once we let lose of the money and gave it up to Russia....the crime became against them, not the US.

However, this will help the US's knowledge of the Russian Nuclear program.

BTW: The "me first" attitude is not typical.

[edit on 4/10/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by subz
Typical American "me first" attitude

As opposed to the Russian "me only" attitude?

According to the article one main reason the Swiss decided to send him here first is because Russian law would have prevented him from ever being extradited here to stand trial, whereas our laws would allow him to be returned to Russia if he was acquitted or served his sentence.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I dont doubt that dj but could you imagine an American cabinet member being extradited to the Russian federation to stand trial? I know, and you know, that would NEVER happen. Not in a million years would an American politician stand trial for a crime in Russia, especially if they commited it in the United States.

[edit on 4/10/05 by subz]

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   
To the thread poster:

From your OWN comments does that mean i can extradite George Bush for crimes against humanity then?

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I don't think he should have been sent.

Why can't the Swiss place him on trial? They have a fair system, both groups [America and Russia] would get what they wanted and the Swiss have a much quicker legal system...

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Hopefully this man can difinitively verify the existence of the suitcase nuclear bombs, and if they were all accounted for during his tenure. He may also be able to verify the whereabouts of other nuclear weapons in the Russian military as well as if any were sold to third parties. Hopefully he will come clean and help us out in exchange for an easy sentence and him not being extradited to Russia (which I'm sure he fears, especially if they think he gave the US info about Russia's nuke weapons). They'll torture him and throw him in the Gulag. I don't understand how any of you could be in favor of sending him back to Russia, knowing how horribly unfair their justice system is and how brutal their prisons are.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Rasputin13, last time I checked the 'Gulag' was shut down in 1989 and no longer are they in existance.

Can you back up those claims you just made about Russia?

ExD

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Such decision is very provoking, Adamov possibly has information about sensible parts of russian nuclear program, so if there are no ways to get him to Russia, he'd better to be dead in some accident. Maybe FSB or GRU will help to create such accident. Such information costs much and unfortunately humanity isn't issue here.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
www.russiansabroad.com...

www.state.gov...

www.freerepublic.com...

From the last link provided- "RUSSIA is continuing to operate Gulag-style labour camps where thousands of North Koreans toil under grim conditions in the mines and forests of Siberia, sources in Moscow said yesterday."

I hope I've backed up my claims enough for you, but I doubt anything short of taking you to a Russian labor camp will. Although the Soviet Union enacted legislation to shut the Gulags down in 1989, they continued to operate. The Russian government has done a lot to enact legislation in an attempt to reform their prison and labor camp situation. The probelm is that little of this legislation is ever acted on. In some cases prisons have stopped providing food for their inmates for months at a time, with prisoners relying soley on rations from the outside. They may not call them "Gulags" anymore, but it doesn't mean that harsh labor camps, systematic abuse, unauthorized executions, etc, etc. does not continue to this very day in Russia.

They have made some improvements, granted. But the government doesn't have the money or the infrastructure to revamp the entire prison system and bring it anywhere near the level of western prisons. The bottom line is that being in an American prison is like staying at The Four Seasons compared to being in a Russian labor camp.

top topics

join