It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Canada/Australia Dominate "Best Place To Live" Study

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Ballarat, about an hour's drive s/w of Melbourne, was also recently listed, as one of only two regional cities in the world, a "boom city". A great deal of Melbourne's wealth came from Ballarat gold during the 1850's gold rush and that old debt is starting to be called in. Alot of 'well bred', 5th and 6th generation families could afford to be patient for a return on their investments.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lady of the Lake
As for the comment about when did all of the places named become Countries - thanks for the laugh. Perhaps we SHOULD all declare our cities republics they might just do a better job than some of the countries they are part of.

Well since it brought a smile to your face im glad I stuffed it up

My parents applied to immigrate to Canada at the same time as Australia and picked Australia mainly because Canada wanted them to have more money in the bank. I could of easily of grown up in Canada and I would love to visit.

Canada? America without all the bad bits? Is that a fair assumption

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by subz
Canada? America without all the bad bits? Is that a fair assumption

As long as you can stomach the Political Correctness.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I figured out the single cultural shortcoming today as me and my friends were driving around this morning.

If there was adequate distribution of IHOPs and Der Waffle Haus, we'd be paradise.

DE

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Ahh, another positive point for Australia, the Pollitical Correctness bandwagon got pretty short shrift here due to our well known inclination for irreverance. Sure folks still make money 'selling' it, it gives our satireists and comedians lots of material to also keep them in work.

Considering that Canada borders the U.S. ( the most powerfull nation of this age) and Australia is "kicking sh#* up hill" with it's geographical location handicap, I'd say Oz wins hands down by handicap.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
This just proves that it's the people that make the place.

That is so very true.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by KiwiDave

Originally posted by gottabesuss
Melbourne the southern most city in the southern hemisphere

No it isn't - you better go back to school and learn some geography...

Ha! Would have to be corrected by a Kiwi wouldnt l!! Yeah i was excited, and i was totally incorrect but okay, find another city so low down with over 5 million people in it!! Dunedin or Christchurch wouldn't have that many im pretty sure??HA! Of course no disrespect to the lovely people of Hobart either!

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by gottabesuss
Ha! Would have to be corrected by a Kiwi wouldnt l!! Yeah i was excited, and i was totally incorrect but okay, find another city so low down with over 5 million people in it!! Dunedin or Christchurch wouldn't have that many im pretty sure??HA! Of course no disrespect to the lovely people of Hobart either!

Since when does Melbourne have 5 million people ? Sydney only has 4 million people and it's Australia's largest city.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 11:25 PM
link   
The only thing SOUTH West of Melbourne is Corio Bay.

Ballarat is WNW of Melbourne.

I was born in Bendigo and the gold wealth there was almost the same, they just didn't feel the need to get slaughtered by troopers. And there's no such thing as payment being due. Just walk around the two cities to see where the money got spent, the civic buildings almost equal Melbourne's. Bengdigo's entire CBD is paved with cobblestones and bluestone flagstones. The post office is huge. The trams still run! Bendigo has as many operational tram lines as Adelaide and exactly one more than Sydney!

And Melbourne is pushing 3 million people.

posted on Oct, 5 2005 @ 11:30 PM
link   
what a coincidence!

vancouver is where i've wanted to be for a long time

even got some friends thinking they should be living there too...

only confirms it for me :p

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 02:42 AM
link   
well i suppose i was a bit overboard with 5 mil but
Melbourne
Population: 3 283 000 (1996 Census) ala google. That being pretty much 10 years ago, would easily be 4 million by now.

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Source
Melbourne is the capital and largest city of the state of Victoria, and the second largest city in Australia (after Sydney), with a population of 3.8 million in the Melbourne metropolitan area (June 2004) and 69,670 in the City of Melbourne (which covers only the central city area).

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
69,670 seems like a small number for the actual city of Melbourne itself---I am guessing that must be a typo. I know it sure seems bigger.
I have had the distinct pleasure of being in most of the cities on ths list, and I agree they are all fantastic. So how about we try this, to keep this rather interesting thing percolating---list the top ten cities in which you would want to live (if you could, of course), or just list five or so if that's all you're interested in. I would say my list of favorite cities that I have been to is fairly close to what I would also say would be my top ten ideal living locations, so here goes---
1.Wellington 2.Adelaide 3. Montreal 4. Halifax 5. Melbourne 6. Vancouver 7. Auckland 8. Paris 9. Burlington (Vt) 10. Minneapolis (hey, it is home, it would be impolite to leave it out).
I would sure be interested to see other people's top 10.
---Ryan

posted on Oct, 6 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Sorry Howlerunner, I typoed an 's' instead of 'n' in regard to Ballarat's location. Nice to see the old Bendigo/Ballarat rivalry is alive and well on the net but don't know why you decided to make poor old Geelong, S/W of Melbourne, disapear. Unlike Bendigo, Geelong even has an AFL football team and is a major port city.

You got me thinking though, was it because Bendigo didn't stand up against injustices during the gold rush that that old rivalry started or because Ballarat made smarter long term investments?

posted on Oct, 8 2005 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I just want to slow down the pace that it is growing, cuz it has been booming for 20 years now.
Favorite cities of mine, that I have been to:
Victoria, BC
Vancouver,BC
San Francisco, CA
Seattle, WA
Los Angeles, CA
Toronto, ON
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Las Vegas, NV
Phoenix, AZ
Denver, CO

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 04:26 AM
link   
No wuckers, Suzy...

Geelong is Corio Bay/Corio Bay is Geelong. That's wehre Geelong is.

As for the rivalry, I'm not sure. I don't remember being conscious of one when I was a kid. It might be because Ballarat is remembered for the Eureka Stockade and Bendigo is remembered for...what is Bendigo remembered for, someone remind me again.

Oh, yeah. Our Imperial Dragons, Sun Loong and "Old" Loong. And everything that goes with them. Check it out, the world's longest Imperial Dragon sleeps away the year in Bendigo.

I used to watch the lions dance to wake him up.

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 05:31 AM
link   
's right mate. I think it's cute that next years Commonwealth Games, being held in Australia, hosted in Melbourne, have also got some events going on in Ballarat and I think also Bendigo. The gold in the torch is ment to represent Ballarat though but hey, both our State's Premier and the Nations only Cardinal are "Ballarat boys" so I suppose it's not surprising it milks a little something out of this world event.

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by RyanC
69,670 seems like a small number for the actual city of Melbourne itself---I am guessing that must be a typo. I know it sure seems bigger.

You gotta remember how much of the CBD is office space and retail stores. Not to mention sports facilities, railway tracks, museums, the Exhibition Centre and gardens. I mean, at 1:30 pm on a Saturday I'll bet the population of the city of Melbourne is one and a half milion!

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
I think the list usually looks this way every year.
By the way, I'm in number 10. I don't like it much

come on! Calgary is awesome. However Vancouver sux, over priced housing and to many needle victims.

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by BattleofBatoche

Originally posted by Umbrax
I think the list usually looks this way every year.
By the way, I'm in number 10. I don't like it much

come on! Calgary is awesome. However Vancouver sux, over priced housing and to many needle victims.

Awesome? -10 c isn't my idea of awesome... but then again the Soggy West Coast isn't either due to medical conditions. My ideal place to live would be in the middle of a desert lol.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join