It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Canada/Australia Dominate "Best Place To Live" Study

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
Although I haven't lived in my home town (or country for that matter) of "#2" for about seven years now, I still do feel a great sense of pride every year as she comes up so high on the list, and deservedly so. I think Melbourne actually made number one a few times. However, after travelling around the world, you realize that Australian cities are really just overgrown, cozy country towns. It's annoying when you visit home after traversing the globe and everyone expects you to describe other countries and cities in 5 words or less, yet they won't shut up about the new 30-storey "skyscraper" in town.

Your right just overgrown, cozy country towns.
And thats the beauty of it........PERTH..... ROCKS

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by gottabesuss
Melbourne the southern most city in the southern hemisphere

No it isn't - you better go back to school and learn some geography...

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   

This map may help.
Just to clarify the above.

[edit on 4-10-2005 by Jezza]

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I'm stuck in Toronto the giant Rat Race, when i'd rather be in Vancouver. I really gotta ditch this place!

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Vancouver BC is one of my favorite places. Its sort of like San Francisco without all the homeless and alot cleaner.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I could have told all of you that Vancouver was the best city in the world. You only have to come here once to fall in love with what it has to offer. In the winter you can ski in the morning and golf, boat, do just about whatever you want. I enjoy the fact that a lot of people are fitness orientated.

Mountains and oceans, you can't go wrong with that kind of scenery for the place that you live.

jra

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Vancouver BC is one of my favorite places. Its sort of like San Francisco without all the homeless and alot cleaner.

Vancouver does have it's fair share of homeless people though. Probably not as much as San Fran though. But certain areas, like East Hastings have lots of poor and homeless people. I probably wouldn't feel comfortable walking around there alone at night. But still, it is a lovely city over all.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Van. is a lovely city, Calgary too 7 months of the year
TO in nice but I prefer Winnipeg spring, summer and fall.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Winnipeg spring, summer and fall.

...all you have to do is call

OK, that's James Taylor...sort of.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   

I prefer Winnipeg spring, summer and fall.

What about the mosquito factor?

I'll stay in Vancouver, I love it here!

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Ah, Vancouver. Diet Seattle. Personally, I think the weather sucks and the drug problem is fairly outrageous, but I'll admit it's a damn sight better than Calgary or Winnepeg. Not a bad place by any means.

Toronto isn't bad...the pollution and crime are probably what drove it down so far. I mean, compared to the United States, both are infantessimal, but there are days in the summer when it seems like Mexico City. Toronto always thought it was New York, looks like it got its wish.

I'm a Montrealer, born and bred. As far as major metropolitan centers go, I'd say it's the best place in Canada to live. Failing that... Sudbury.

DE

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx Failing that... Sudbury.

Ack! Sudbury...*shivers* that town has come a long way from the moonscape it used to sit in, no doubt, and it does have fairly wild nightlife, but, man, those winters can be terribly long and, if you do live there, I hope you have deep pockets for gas money. The distances anywhere are truly long.

Anyways...Vancouver...yea, it's ok if you like rain every other day. The threat from the Jaun De Fuca plate can keep you on your toes too.

This whole 'Best Cities' to live in is a crock, imo...they always pick 'capitol' cities as if no other place matters. If you are a dentist, for instance, then the best city in Canada is Nelson, BC. If you're a retired dentist, the best place is Penticton. If you're a retired blue collar worker, then Medicine Hat's the place for you.

It's all a conspiracy by the Illuminati to draw the majority of the population into one place, all the better to keep that 'All Seeing Eye' on them.

What's wrong with small towns anyways? No crime there (much) and if there was, that person will be run out of town in a week to go live in Vancouver.

Let me live in the boonies, the best place in the world, where you know every one by their first name, what they are handy at and what tools you can borrow from them.

*puts arm around Red Green*

[edit on 4-10-2005 by masqua]

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   
good to see a few aussie cities in that list.
having spent the first 16 years of life growing up in geelong/melbourne,
and the last 20 odd living in perth,i,m goin with perth shoulda been
above melbourne.
gotta love that indian ocean coast line

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Okay, not all year, but it is a rainforest. Vancouver is a young city, and also very tech savvy, it is kind of like the wild west meets westworld. My favorite thing about it is the ethnic diversity, you can dine on fare from anywhere in the world, African, Russian, Thai, Afghani, Japanese, Indian, Lebanese, French, Italian, Spanish, Mexican, etc. And the scenery is wild. I love the mountains, and they are all around here. In my limited travels the only city that I found nearly as nice was San Fran.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I hear what you're saying masqua BUT if you want to party hardy with friendly people ON TO HALIFAX!

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
Anyways...Vancouver...yea, it's ok if you like rain every other day. The threat from the Jaun De Fuca plate can keep you on your toes too.

It doesn't really rain every other day here and the summers are amazing. What sucks is that is rains for 6 solid months. Every day.

I may be a little strange but I actually like the earthquakes. They're kind of exciting.

The Maritime provinces have the best partiers in Canada though.
If I had to live somewhere else in Canada, Nova Scotia would be the place. I have to live on the ocean or I'm not happy.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I just moved to Calgary from Edmonton, and I agree, it's an amazing place. Vancouver is beatifull.

Luxifero.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I remember when I was around 5 years old living in Victoria, and sitting on my bedroom floor, watching the telephone poles sway and feeling the floor ripple. It did not arouse any emotion in me more than curiosity. Then, two quakes that happened around a week or two apart, when I was around 25 or so had a very different effect. The first one woke me up and I knew what it was cuz I sleep on a futon, and they don't move on their own. Then I was watching tv, and felt the second one. My pulse went ballistic, and my adrenaline surged, and I went out onto the balcony ready to jump to the ground, (it was just the second floor). But it stopped shaking and I calmed down. It was quite a surprise to me to have such a strong reaction, and I guess it was instinctive, fight or flight response.
Other than that, I love this place. It is a good place to live if you like sailing, skiing, snowboarding, windsurfing, kayaking, hiking, climbing, mountainbiking, swimming, camping, 4 by 4ing, etc. If you wanted to, you could do them all in a day here.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Just like to say that when the lottery finally pays me Australia is HIGH on my list of places to see. Our down under brothers seem to be very much like ourselves. Check it out, just the greeting:

Can.- G'day eh.
Oz- G'day mate.

This just proves that it's the people that make the place.

posted on Oct, 4 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Just like to say that when the lottery finally pays me Australia is HIGH on my list of places to see. Our down under brothers seem to be very much like ourselves. Can.- G'day eh.Oz- G'day mate.

Even us 'brotherette's' would welcome you, many of us feel the same way about Canada.

Gosh all this good will.

As for the comment about when did all of the places named become Countries - thanks for the laugh. Perhaps we SHOULD all declare our cities republics they might just do a better job than some of the countries they are part of.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join