It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATSNN: Something has to happen!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
People are becoming frustrated, and no longer submit news because of it.
Whenever I submit news, it doesn't really matter what it is, I get senseless NO votes.
I have no idea how many yes votes I have, all I know is that 10 no votes mean the end of the submission.

Now if the NO votes I would get would be clear or in any way contributing to me becoming better at submitting news it would be fine, but so far this has never been the case.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This thread for example, gets no votes in about every category, and when I directly ask members what could be wrong with it they all tell me nothing is wrong with it.

Now I wouldn't be whining if I wouldn't have some suggestions to how this could be solved.

1. Make a list of who voted no and who voted yes and why.
ATS is all about honesty, transparency, and openness, and the fact that 10 retards can secretly screw up news submissions is not very ATS-ish. (is that a word? it is now!)

2. Make the amount of NO's needed to downgrade a submission bigger, and make the amount of YES' needed to upgrade a submission lower. Then make the one who submitted the news able to view how many YES votes he have.

Something really has to happen, these complaints are not new, and quite clear.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Looks like ATSNN is working fine from what I can see. The submissions are good quality, they're topical, and they're rather current. True enough, its frustrating having submission that ya think is good get shot down, but the sytsem still manages to provide good content. And anything that gets voted down still gets posted to ATS, just not inside of ATSNN.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
10 retards have the power to secretly screw up the news.
How much sense does that make?

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Something does have to be done, I've submitted stories that are in the main headlines on the main news and they don't end up on ATSNN at all or not until they're old hat.

I'm starting to not bother and I know it upsets other people too, I don't know what the best solution is but something has to be done, maybe member voting just isn't a good idea, I often get No votes that make no sense whatsoever.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I tend to agree...

I think people should have to post to be able to say 'yes' or 'no'. As I see many times decent articles get abused because people disagree with them on 'Party Politics' lines and that only.

Companies Got Unneeded 9/11 Loans

There is one of my ATSNN articles which got moved and I honestly believe needs a lot more coverage and is a more important story than many that do get upgraded...

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I know in the last council Nerdling was trying to get something done that would allow stories to be upgraded by Experts. I'm not exactly sure what happened with that proposal, if I get elected this round, I'll follow up on it.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakko

I would remind you that those "retards" are members of this site, and are to be accorded all the respect and due forum etiquette.

Perhaps contemplation as to how you will be received by members who have voted "No" on your stories in the past is in order?

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Jakko, I don't think there's any need to be calling anyone (much less your fellow members) retards.

link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I'm not exactly sure what happened with that proposal, if I get elected this round, I'll follow up on it.

That has to be the best election ploy I've seen this campaign. Slick.

[edit on 2005-10-3 by wecomeinpeace]

link   
I think ive only had 2 submissions, but ill add my 2 cents.

If the amount of no votes needed was increased, i think it would make everyone much happier.

If an article really is bad, its going to get the amount of no votes anyways.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I know in the last council Nerdling was trying to get something done that would allow stories to be upgraded by Experts.

Don't expert's votes count as 5 or something?

I'm finding it hard to find all the official ATSNN information regarding these things.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   

and the fact that 10 retards can secretly screw up news submissions

I agree to some extent with what you are saying Jakko, but I don't think calling the people who disagree with you "retards" is going to help you win friends and influence people. As a matter of fact you may have people shooting down you news posts just because of the comment.

I think if a post is dependent on a voting system then who voted and how they voted should be known. There are several people on ATS who's opinions I have come to respect even if they are different from my own. Knowing who has read a news submission and their opinion on it would be interesting. You might also find out that some people just make a habit of voting NO no matter how good the post is. If you dislike something enough to vote NO on it you shouldn't be afraid to put your name on your vote with a short explaination of why you voted NO.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I don't agree with the idea of knowing who voted for what--that might prevent some from voting period, for one reason or another--but I do like the idea of more detailed reasoning. I said in a different thread about this, I've submitted a couple of news items and got a "no:grammer" vote. That doesn't help much; the member maybe rather anal retentive, voting no becase I put "to" instead of "too", and I'd never catch it going back through the post.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
Perhaps contemplation as to how you will be received by members who have voted "No" on your stories in the past is in order?

That would be a valid remark if people other then mods and maybe council members could actualy see who submitted a news submission before its approved

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
Don't expert's votes count as 5 or something?

I'm finding it hard to find all the official ATSNN information regarding these things.

Expert votes count as 2 votes.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
1. Don't disrespect your fellow members and then wonder why they don't like you.

2. The voting system is on a sliding scale. The more you contribute the less votes you need for an upgrade. Experts have EARNED the right to instant gratification.

3. Other methods have been looked into, some involve a massive amount of coding and some are just not worth it. We're continually working to better ATSNN and many things go on behind closed doors that you cannot see.

Have a little faith, and be a little nicer.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix
That would be a valid remark if people other then mods and maybe council members could actualy see who submitted a news submission before its approved

Your comment would be valid if it were true.
Mods and council members CANNOT see the author before a submission is upgraded.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
It doesn't always take 10 no votes too shoot a submission down, it's a running tally if memory serves correctly and a yes vote cancles out a no vote, if there are enough yes votes as well as no votes the story could end up in limbo and that is a problem that has to be dealt with. Maybe put a time limit on voting and if there are a certain number more yes votes then no votes it gets upgraded automatically, same goes if there is more no votes then yes votes

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Oh man.
The point was not that a lot of ATS members are jerks, because fortunately most ATS members are really cool and reasonable and smart people.
That is why I like ATS so much.

The point is that 10 jerks *could* spoil stuff for the rest.
In theory, 10 jerks *could* screw up the system.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Lol, Jakko, don't you see that you are STILL calling 10 members jerks? The point is that 10 people who vote no on a submission are NOT jerks. They are your fellow members who:

#1 deserve your respect, and not to be called jerks

and

#2 May have a very good reason in their mind to vote no other than your implied reasons of "alterior motives" by calling them jerks to begin with.

Please Jakko, get a grip and try to say what you are going to say without calling anyone here a jerk. Thanks.

TA

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join