It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dark matter/dark energy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Can anyone tell me...Is so called "dark energy" simply the gravity produced by dark matter or somthing else entirely? Does dark matter produce regular gravity just like regular matter or a different kind? Since dark matter is so abundant in the universe what effect does the gravity produced by it have on the regular matter (stars,planets,ect.) in space?

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Well dark matter is just regular matter that doesn't react to any detectable wavelengths, the only way we know it's there is due to it's gravatic interaction with visible particles, sort of like how they spot a black hole. As for dark energy I'm not entirely convinced it actually exists, there could be other explanations for the accelerating universal expansion but with an absense of a likely suspect Scientist's had to invent something that fit the bill. No direct evidance exists for Dark Energy to my knowledge(correct me if I'm wrong though) though it's the most widely supported at the moment.

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 11:17 PM
link   
soon we will know if dark energy does exist because of the new underground telescope they are making that will measure the uranium flying into our atmosphere without cosmic interference. patients will answer a lot of questions based on supersymetry and the ever infamous sparticles thjeoretical scientists are conjouring up to CERN and beyond!

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
yeah, i've covered this in a physics class, all dark matter is really, is things like brown dwarves... a neutron star that has cooled enough that it no longer glows, and has a totally black surface. u were right that it has no detectable wavelengths (i think) but it acts as any normal neutron star... wheras one teaspoon of its material would weigh erm... an extraordinary amount... something like 100 tonnes. anywy, something of such density has a huge gravitic field, so its effects can be seen primarily by gravity. hope this clears things up! i don't do too well in classes, so feel free to call me stupid n tell me how wrong i am

posted on Oct, 7 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   
If we all had more "grey matter" we could answer these questions with ease.

I thought that dark matter and energy dwell in the quantum world where matter and energy flip back and forth depending on the time of the month.

posted on Oct, 17 2006 @ 10:31 AM
link   
ritey, i done a lil research into this, and it enters into the topics of black body radiation an all that
all dark matter is, is a cellestial body in space. or a star more specifically that has died (gone supernova or collapsed in on itself etc) and is now a solid black entity. Because of their lack of reflective potential, they are literally invisible to any telescopes, optic or energy-scanning. the only force these give out is gravitic energy.
Dark Matter is still a theory, but a universally accepted one. seeing as how you can't see them, you can't prove them. but their evidence is there. it was first noticed when scientists identified that the orbits of distant planets/stars seemed to be affected by some unknown force. The Conclusion? Black bodies or Dark Matter. they're there, but since they don't reflect light they're pretty much invisible unless you can get to an ecliptic angle.
Like i said, all theoretical. Oh and on Dark Energy, not really came across that before. i couldn't really understand what would make energy "dark" but if someone knows, be good to hear about it!

posted on Oct, 20 2006 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I'm an experimental physicist, so my reply to what dark energy and dark matter is, is that no one knows

Considering all that's really been discovered is influence, there's a lot more ground to cover before making definitive answers. I would say read up on both of these influences, and draw your conclusions based upon who's math makes sense, and who's doesn't. I've seen some ridiculous stuff in my time...

new topics

top topics

join