It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Von Braun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   
did he envision the X-rocket for something? had he anything to do with them? (mind that rocket is different than the X-rocket)

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Do you mean the V-2 rocket used by the Germans in World War II?

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wind
did he envision the X-rocket for something? had he anything to do with them? (mind that rocket is different than the X-rocket)

he's basically the father of modern space exploration....learn more here:

liftoff.msfc.nasa.gov...

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Yeah if it wasn't for von braun space exploration would not be near what it is today. HE basically built the Apollo rocket. BUt yeah he did build hte Vengence weapon 2 Although he never wanted it to be a vengence weapon hitler made it.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Von Braun was crucial for American competition in the space race.

The spinoffs of the V-2 were Atlas, Jupiter and Saturn. Originally the V-2 was meant for wartime use but later modified for space exploration and carrying the largest payloads into space ever.

This is assuming X-rocket is really the V-2, what do you suggest are the differences between Von Braun's rocket and todays?

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty
what do you suggest are the differences between Von Braun's rocket and todays?

My guess would be not much.

The chemical rocket hasn't changed any, because it cant. Chemical rockets really cant evolve into something better. Newer more efficient rocket engines are now in use, like Ion, but those are for in space use only.

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I mean the US X-rockets. did he have anything to do with them, an envision about them being used a space shuttles?

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 07:58 AM
link   
YOu mean the X- planes? THe rockets planes Like CHuck Yagger (sp) the planes theat constantly broke the speed limit for aeronautics.

That was a NAvey/ Air Force project and Von Braun was not involved.

Von Bruan was workign at WHite sands and the X planes were in production at Edwards Air FOrce base. IT wasn't even a NASA project it was NACA in october 1958 after the debut of the X-15 rocket plane the X- Plane project was handed over to NASA, along with all of its research labs and scientist.

[edit on 2-10-2005 by Mizar]

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Didn't the design for the space shuttle grow out of the delta wing and the lifting body program at NASA's Edward's AFB facility?

They had the X-15 program out there as well, setting all the speed and altitude records, but I'm pretty sure the ground work for the glide characteristics of the orbiter's unpowered re-entry/descent came out of the M-2 lifting body program.

My dad worked on both the X-15 and M-2 programs at Edward's in the 60s as an engineer for Northrop. He knew Chuck Yeager, Fitz Fulton, Pete Knight, Bruce Peterson, all the test pilots. I even got to meet some of the guys. Bruce and my dad were good friends.

Bruce was the pilot of the M-2 that crashed and rolled across the lakebed at Edwards, the film clip of the crash becoming famous as the opening scene of the TV show "The Six Million Dollar Man." Blowout! Vapor three! I can't hold her! She's breaking up! She's breaking up!

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Here's a really cool link about the X-Planes:

X-Plane Data Site

Yeah, you're right Icarus Rising, research from the X-15, X-24, and X-25 all went into the Space Shuttle.

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Here is a good site too with pictures of all teh X planes

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   
AH HA!!! I knew I would find it.... Here we go so the X projects Werent just planes and our dear member is not insane there were X Rockets in the X plane projects see here.....

Convair X-12
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
The Convair X-12 being launched
Enlarge
The Convair X-12 being launched

The Convair X-12 was the second, more advanced testbed for the Atlas rocket program. It was designed with 3 engines, its predecessor the Convair X-11 used only one engine. It was powered by a 1.5 stage liquid-fuel rocket. Its first flight was in July, 1958.

Service history

The X-12 pioneered the use of 1.5 stage rocket engines that became a hallmark of the Atlas rocket program. It was also the first rocket to achieve a flight distance that could be considered intercontinental when it flew 6,325 miles.

Five X-12 rockets were built and five flights were made out of Cape Canaveral, but no X-12s are believed to have survived.

Specifications (X-12)

General characteristics

* Crew: Unmanned
* Length: 103 ft 0 in (31.4 m)
* Wingspan: m ( ft)
* Diameter: 12 ft 0 in (3.66 m)
* Wing area: m² ( ft²)
* Empty: kg ( lb)
* Loaded: kg ( lb)
* Powerplant: Engine type(s), kN (lbf) thrust

Performance

* Maximum speed:
* Range: km ( miles)
* Service ceiling: m ( ft)
* Rate of climb: m/min ( ft/min)
* Wing loading: kg/m² ( lb/ft²)
* Thrust/weight:

Also see the X-11

Now we need to find out if VOn Braun was involved....

OK so I infered that the X-11 and X 12 were used to develope the ATLAS rocket and I searched Von Braun and X11 and X12 and got nothing but I did find this....

Von Braun became director of the Army Ballistic Missile Agency at Redstone Arsenal and developed the Redstone/Jupiter rockets that launched the U.S.'s first satellite and first man in space. As NASA was created, the western part of Redstone Arsenal became NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center.

Von Braun became director at Marshall and directed the development of the Saturn V that sent Americans to the moon. The Titan II and Atlas rockets also played significant roles in the NASA manned space program. Mercury was powered by Redstone (designated Jupiter for launch missions) and Atlas rockets, Gemini by Titan II, and Apollo by Saturn rockets.

www.memagazine.org...

BUT I also found this... which leads me to believe that VOn BRaun was NOT involved

The key to the Atlas design is an extremely lightweight structure, conceived largely by an inventive Convair engineer, Karl J. Bossart. The missile's frame consisted of a very thin-gauge stainless-steel skin that maintains its shape and structural integrity only from the high pressure inside its propellant tanks. If the tank pressurization failed, the skin would crumble and the launch vehicle would collapse under its own weight. Many engineers, including famed rocket designer Wernher von Braun, worried that the Atlas' design could not survive the intense aerodynamic stresses placed upon it the early phases of launch, so much so that von Braun's design team derisively referred to the Atlas as a �blimp� or their �inflated competition.�

www.centennialofflight.gov...

SO there you have it. ( I better get something for this wonderful post....:lol

top topics

join