It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study reveals the Sun is to blame for as much as 30% of global warming

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Increased output from the Sun might be to blame for 10 to 30 percent of global warming that has been measured in the past 20 years, according to a new report.

Increased emissions of carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping gases still play a role, the scientists say.

But climate models of global warming should be corrected to better account for changes in solar activity, according to Nicola Scafetta and Bruce West of Duke University.

The findings were published online this week by the journal Geophysical Research Letters.

Entire article

Wow I never knew the Sun was to blame for global warming. I knew that some plants were to blame though.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   

"The Sun may have minimally contributed about 10 to 30 percent of the 1980-2002 global surface warming," the researchers said in a statement today.
"For now, if our analysis is correct,

Nicola Scafetta is being very careful in what she is saying here.
We can not just blame the for sun making up for 30% of global warming (yet).

Most importantly Scientists need to take this seriously and see if they need to correct the climate models based on this information.
This could mean the future will be hotter than previously thought, or colder.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Many factors contribute to global warming. It is apparently just part of a normal cycle. Anthropogenic carbon is a factor, but consensus is the human role is minor compared to natural fluctuations.

Global warming would still be occurring without any human influence. Instead of arguing over the disastrous kyoto treaty (which even left leaning media like Time magazine concedes was a bad idea) we should focus on adapting to climate change, not vainly trying to stop it.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Why can't we believe that the universe isn't completely set in stone. Is it so crazy to think that the sun changes heat dissapation over the years. We are alive in the solor system because of a favorable collective average. Sun spots are normal. These make irregularities that effect us. I'd say that it is 80% universal fluxuation, 20% stupid eliiest.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Well if the sun is to blame for 10-30 percent of the heating on the earth what could possibly be influencing the rest hmm
that leaves 70-90 % due to human activities and geological activity but what types of Geological activity heat the earth hmm?

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by dave_54
we should focus on adapting to climate change, not vainly trying to stop it.

That is, IMO, the definitive answer. It's time governments stopped bickering over what or who is responsible for global warming and begin to make the changes needed to protect foodstocks and shorelines (which come immediately to mind).

I know we need to think globally, but...we also need to think locally.

If the forecasts for weather changes are known, then why aren't we preparing? For instance, here in Ontario, Canada, it's getting drier and drier, eventually adversely affecting corn, soybean and grain crops. Perhaps we should be focussed on places where there will be rain next year. This is off the top of my head, so, excuse me for surmising, but this past summer was the hottest and driest on record.

Secondly, if the ice melt in the Arctic is going to accelerate, as we are being told, maybe we should think about doubly reinforcing levees, seawalls, etc., and get on about the business of evacuation planning instead of pointing fingers. After Katrina and Rita, it's obvious the planning was just not good enough.

There's probably a lot more we should be concerning ourselves with, but, really, does it matter anymore why it's happening as long as we know that it IS??

top topics

join