It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Biggest Study Ever On Children Is Launched In U.S

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Researchers have launched the largest study ever conducted of it's kind. hoping to detirmine the cause of many common childhood diseases such as diabetes and autism. "The National Childrens Study" will follow 100 000 U.S children from the moment they are born through puberty and into adulthood hoping to find root causes of various disorders. Some cases will begin to be followed from pregnancy and factors looked at in the study include environmental influences such as foods eaten, air breathed, schools, neighbourhoods lived in and the relationship they have on diseases. The first results of the study will be available in 2010.

www.metronews.ca
In particular, scientists will try to find out whether there is a link between environment and diseases.

Most studies used now to link environment and disease are retrospective, meaning they rely on a patient's or a parent's recall of events, food eaten, and behaviors. Scientists place much greater faith in studies that look at actual behaviors in real time to more accurately link them to consequences.

"It would meticulously measure their environmental exposures while tracking their health and development, from infancy through childhood, until age 21," he added.

Researchers will also take samples from the children and their parents to see what chemicals they have actually absorbed into their bodies.

"In the search for environmental influences on human health, and their relationship to genetic constitution, National Children's Study researchers plan to examine such factors as the food children eat, the air they breathe, their schools and neighborhoods, their frequency of visits to a health care provider, and even the composition of the house dust in their homes," the NICHD said in a statement.

Six centers were named on Thursday where the research will begin -- the University of California in Irvine, the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, the Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, the University of Utah in Salt Lake City and the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

The researchers will look for women who may become pregnant, even those who are not planning to, to see if accidental or unintended exposures or behaviors affect any children they may later have.

"The study might eventually lead to preventions or treatments for many common conditions," Carmona said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think this study will show what many believe to be fact now, that environmental factors do have a relationship and impact on diseases but genetics do play an important part in the disease process.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I think that a study that will study that many factors with 100,000 children from before birth has enormous potential. This could quite possibly point us in the proper direction of many childhood issues. And not just those, this study has the possibility to find out many teen issues.

Just think of the possibilities. Virtually ever major issue effecting adolecents can finally be traced to a source. Which gives us the possibility of solving those problems. Not to mention this could finally answer much of the debate concerning homosexuality. Not that it's a bad thing, but it is something that definatly deserves investigation.

With proper funding this project could solve countless problems that stem from a child's youth. This has me very excited indeed.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I think this is a very exciting research project!

There have been numerous amount of research projects throughout the years on psychological development, however I feel that we are due for this type of study, that it is extremely important - especially since we have had such a rapid environmental changes in the past 40 years; not just within the US, but other countries as well.

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   
This study would have been great 40 years ago, now I'm not so sure what they can get out of it. The extremely rapid advances in genetics, protein expression, virus and bacteria, etc. lead me to believe a lot of the real life saving discoveries will be OBE (Overtaken By Events) before they ever gather enough data. I expect many statistical analyses will be published concerning environmental factors and psychological factors and as usual, much of that will be useless.

Don't mistake my comments as being against the study, because I'm not. But, I'm still in wonderment at the impact Dr. Spocks books on child rearing had around the world--and he was so wrong in so many different ways.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 06:38 AM
link   
While this study is important - it is just another hoop, and another stalling tactic.

Scientists knew that misfolded proteins underlay emerging new diseases in 1950, when Linus Pauling described the actin protein's a and b conformations. Evidence in the 1950's and 60's showed clearly that environmental contaminations -including prescription drugs- interacted with misfolded actin to produce new mutations, and hybridizations between species.

The evolution of modern disease, including so-called genetic diseases, has been tracked, documented, and predicted for over half a century. Most of what's important to know is already known, and has been for some time.

The reasons for fleshing out more details have to do with assigning -and avoiding- liability, not scientific necessity.

More info at "Environmental Perspectives" - the US government journal on environment and health. It's less censored than you might think, or at least it was last time I looked.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   
tracking them from BEFORE birth to.....21 yrs old.....100,000 kids...people.

TextDr. Alexander noted that, in many cases, study researchers would recruit women before they are even pregnant, as well as the women’s partners. Because many pregnancies are unplanned, the researchers will also recruit women who are not considering pregnancy.

TextThe planned National Children’s Study is led by a consortium of federal agency partners: the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services (including the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development and the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences at NIH, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

propoganda

all i see is a large testing ground for a full scale biometric tracking exercise.
why? just look at the people sponsering this....the fed govt does not have a good record of ..shall we say.. being ..truthfull in thier dealings.

top topics

join