It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Fundamentalist Christian group sues state of Tennessee

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Love in Action, a fundamentalist Christian group which takes in gay teens and 'cures' their homosexuality for a price, was told by the state of Tennessee to close its doors earlier in September. The group, operating without license or certification, was told to meet the parameters of licensing, or close its doors. Love in Action is now suing the state of Tennessee, claiming the state is simply harassing a legitimate operation.

www.volunteertv.com
MEMPHIS, Tenn. The state has been sued by a religious organization that runs two Memphis facilities that counsel gays to give up homosexuality.

Love In Action International claims the state is violating its religious freedom by requiring it to be licensed to care for mentally ill patients.

The state determined after a pair of inspections in July and August that Love In Action was providing housing, meals and personal care for mentally ill patients without a license.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Many of you might know that I have been working very closely with the movement to shut down LIA, so my views are obviously quite biased. Anyway though, I shall continue...

The reparative therapy programs of Love in Action statistically cause serious psychological problems with the children who leave the camp. Many become suicidal; or at least chronically depressed, as they have been taught that what they are is "wrong". The state is right to demand the camps become licensed. A religious institution should not be allowed to cause major pain and suffering to teens because they are gay; and it is not in violation of separation of church and state to demand it stop.

Unfortunately though, LIA won't go down without a fight, and that is to be expected. For more information on LIA, look at the links below.

Related News Links:
www.memphisflyer.com
www.houstonvoice.com
www.wreg.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: Teen Sent To Gay "Treatment" Camp Against His Will

[edit on 30-9-2005 by iceofspades]

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Religious schools need to meet government requirements for education.
I see no reason why this relgious group should be exempt from lidensing and regulation.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Considering the reports of psychological abuse (I don't have a better word, sorry), I'd say it's about time. This isn't free practice of religion, this is forcing your religion on somebody in a harmful manner. I don't care if you politely inform somebody of your religion, but forcing, especially in this manner is just wrong.

I say if they can't get a normal license then what they are doing is just wrong and dangerous. Honestly I feel bad for gay teens. They're forced to just sit back and suffer from being alone out of fear or persecution.

Not that it's immoral, but just because of all the hate from these so called Christians I'm glad I'm straight. Here I was thinking Christianity was supposed to be about love and forgivenss. It's a shame to see such a great religion twisted to be used for hate like this.

It's not just Islam that's being used as a front for extremists, it's Christianity too. These people who persecute gays like this are closer to Satan worshippers if anything.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Practicing doctor or doctoring patients without a license is illegal as far as I know.

They will lose their case in court in these bases alone, working with teens with emotional and with personality problems is an issue that even license doctors do not deal with without a lot of paper work and state regulations.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I don't know the details of the patient census at the facility in question, but homosexuality is neither a mental illness nor a personality disorder. If all they are doing is challenging a philosophy and lifestyle, they will probably win. Otherwise, they will not.

[edit on 2005/10/1 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Update: You can find a little news clip done by WMCTV of Tennessee at www.wmcstations.com... .

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Actually there is still a lot of debate in the psychological community if homosexuality is a mental illness or not...they have yet to fully decide one way or the other. [Especially with modern society and the P.C. system that now exists].

Recently there was a new study into homosexuality and brain chemistry, however the name of it escapes me right now.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
There is always a debate about anything having to do with mental health. Whatever is going on in the UK, DSM-IV does not list homosexuality as a mental disorder. It does recognize problems associated with homosexuality, but not homosexuality itself.

www.mhsource.com...

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
there was a mental hospital for children in NY State that was shut down a year or so ago. they had no religious affiliation, I don't think. but their main crime was that they refused to take the medicaid money, they would provide the services for free if that's what it took, by they wouldn't play the medicaid game. if they managed to shut this one down, the place in tennesee doesn't stand a chance!

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
This is the problem with the particuar treatment place that the thread is talking about.

Potter says LIA has been operating as a supportive living facility where medication is administered and a patient's ability to leave is restricted. As such, the program must have a license from the state.

Without a license or registered practicioners, this is illegal in any state.

That is what is all about, religous or not.

posted on Oct, 2 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I disagree INTENSELY with the concept, but if an organization is legit (which this ISN'T) then they should be allowed to exist as long as they're not doing anything wrong.

Using religion as a cover for committing countless acts of abuse is one of the sickest things possible. And it's nothing new.

top topics

join