It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Interceptor or Fighter Can Stop the SR-71?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   
The SR-71 was first introduced into service in 1966 and the program was cancelled in 2001.

As such, the question is to what fighter or interceptor then and now could have stopped the SR-71?

seekerof

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Hmm,

A F-16 or F-15 with a ASAT missile, would be able to take it out. I am sure the F/A-22 could do it, it can do every thing else.

- Phil

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
would F-22 be able to stop it? With AIM-120Cs I think not. Just the pure speed of SR-71 would put everything else out of competition including a crap load of different SAMs, infact even SAMs that have faster speed than the SR-71 will not reach the SR-71 because the missile would simply run out of fuel before exploding on the bird.

I really don't think ASAT would be usable for SR-71, you can maneuveur the SR-71 to a certain degree even though I doubt its agility. ASAT are meant for things that stay in orbit or change their vector predictably. SR-71 sure aren't meant to do neither of them.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I have noticed seekerof that about every 6 months or so you like to reopen this exact same topic, which i think is wonderful because i like talking about it, but the answer hasnt changed. If we are talking about non-classified, publicly known capabilities, then the SR-71 can still out-run and evade modern day fighters due to its shear altitude and speed capbilities. Lets not forget that they havent even released its official top speed or altitude nearly 50 years after it entered service.

Do I think that the f-22 can shoot it down, yes, but only if it had the missile to do it. Other fighters might also be able to shoot it down with modern missile technolgy, but they still cant catch, or adjust for its shear massive speed dash ability. Im not an expert on missiles, but I would assume we have air to air capability that would be able to catch the 71 and destroy it.

Can the 71 be tracked by radar, absolutely.
Can the 71 be seen coming, yes
Can the 71 be caught by any other plane ever, NO
Can a missile catch the 71, never did, someone show me one that might

Train

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   
We are thinking missiles in terms of air-launched or ground-launched single-use projectiles. Now think of this (however unlikely it may be). There was an aircraft, rocket powered, that could reach Mach 5. It was X-15 or something, my memory fails me. Replace the pilot area and instruments with advanced guidance systems. An aircraft carrying such a projectile could have the capability to shoot down an SR-71. However this is not a good idea considering The it is really a waste when SR-71's were retired.

If we used... say.... An F-22 armed with a trio of AIM-120 AMRAAMs taking on an SR-71 at cruising speed and altitude. It ain't gonna happen. The missile will run out of fuel FAR before it reaches the 71's altitude.

However, there is one weakness. Such an aircraft as the SR-71 does use up fuel. Ravenously. So when it refuels (say from a standard KC-135 Stratotanker) it has to match speed with the tanker. Which is easily intercepted by fighter aircraft. This situation plus an F-22 and a few AIM-120C's =

BOOM!

Thank you.

[edit on 9/30/2005 by Darkpr0]

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   
First, the X-15 was air launched. It wouldn't have the fuel for a ground launch, get up to speed, and reach altitude to hit the SR.

Second, when the SR is refueling and going nice and slow, it's WAY our of range of the fighters that might be chasing it. When they were flying over Israel during one of their wars, they would refuel after take off, dash, hit the tanker about 3/4ths of the way across, fly over Isarael and Egypt, then dash about half way back home before refueling again. One of the interesting aspects of the engine in the SR is that the faster it goes, the more efficient it becomes. It never becamse super efficient, but it was a lot more efficient that people gave it credit for.

[edit on 9/30/2005 by Zaphod58]

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   
If there was any interceptor I would have to say the Mig-25 Foxbat or the Mig-31. They are probably the only aircraft that could intercept it in time.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
The only fighter that came close was the Mig-25/31. It could make the intercept a mach 3 but the fighters would have to already be in the air and by the time they did catch up their engines would be pretty much burned out and the aircraft would be almost out of fuel.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by truttseeker
If there was any interceptor I would have to say the Mig-25 Foxbat or the Mig-31. They are probably the only aircraft that could intercept it in time.

According to Russian defector and MiG-25 pilot Victor Belenko:

--Ability to intercept an SR-71: Belenko states the Mig-25 cannot intercept the SR-71 for several reasons: The SR-71 fly too high and too fast; the Mig cannot reach it or catch it

FactBites: Victor/Viktor Belenko

seekerof

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Hmmmm. Right now? Maybe just maybe a F-15 if they ever developed that ramjet powered AMRAAM that they kick around peridodicaly.

Not sure it could be intercepted by any fighter today with the missiles in the current inventory right now. SAM's may have a chance like say a THAAD, but the SR-71's speed, one degree of cource change can translates to 100's of miles of cource change in a short period of time. One Habu flight did come back with what may have been a piece of schrapnel from a soviet SAM though.

The Mig-25/31 never proved that they could even come close. The SR-71's ran a series of tests against the USAF and the Navy. I can't remember the names of the exersize. But the F-15 pilots initaly were give course and speed and the SR-71's did not deviate and thier pullups were timed with help from the ground and they were able to intercept one. However, when they got too full of themselves, the SR-71 teams did not give them course and speed and did do a bit of manuvering and they were not even able to come close after that.

[edit on 10/1/05 by FredT]

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   
An English Electric Lightning might be able to intercept a SR-71 but maybe not catch it from behind.

Celling 26km +
Rate of climb 15km/minute
Top speed Mach 2.2+

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nacnud
An English Electric Lightning might be able to intercept a SR-71 but maybe not catch it from behind.

Celling 26km +
Rate of climb 15km/minute
Top speed Mach 2.2+

Those things are phat! I saw a show about some rich guy that has his own airfield in South Africa. He has one of those planes, the fastest in his entire collection. He gets up in the air and turns the plane straight up and lets it rip for about 2 miles or so and it's as though you're flying right into the sun! What an amazing piece of machinery...

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
It certainly is. that something half a century old is still the fastest plane the RAF has ever had is simply amazing.

I was lucky enough to witness its amazing, ear splitting, full burner vertical climb at several airshows in my youth. I love the Lightning!

But I don't think it would intercept an SR-71, unless it knew it was coming and was heading towards it as trying to climb and chase an aircraft doing mach 3 at 100,000ft is impossible even for an aircraft with better performance than the SR-71 itself. By the time you have climbed it is long gone.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I remember something about 3 Mig25`s trying to intercept an SR-71 (they launched from libya)

They had the intel for the flight , the course and position , and launched 3 aircraft

all 3 came in on different vectors at M2.8 (burning out the cores in the process) and the bird just changed its course a few degree`s at a time

the intercept failed.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
First, the X-15 was air launched. It wouldn't have the fuel for a ground launch, get up to speed, and reach altitude to hit the SR.

Then don't launch it from the ground! A B-52 carrying one (or whatever the air launch platform was) might be able to get the thing in range... After that its all luck. It was a stupid idea anyway.

Second, when the SR is refueling and going nice and slow, it's WAY our of range of the fighters that might be chasing it. When they were flying over Israel during one of their wars, they would refuel after take off, dash, hit the tanker about 3/4ths of the way across, fly over Isarael and Egypt, then dash about half way back home before refueling again.

Fair Enough.

One of the interesting aspects of the engine in the SR is that the faster it goes, the more efficient it becomes. It never becamse super efficient, but it was a lot more efficient that people gave it credit for.

Yes, indeed this was a very neat aspect. This is also helped by the fact that it takes more fuel in ascent and acceleration than it does in Cruise. Definetely years ahead of the time.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Greetings,

The reason I mention the ASAT, as the only missile that could intercept the SR-71 is easy. The ASAT is designed to intercept a target, in a medium to high alt orbit. What does this mean for the SR-71 attack, well its got a huge rocket motor to get it out of the atmosphere, not to mention a rather long burn time to get it into intercept range. Its primarlly IR tracking too, I think its the best bet....

Or

Jury rig a Pariot Missile or SA 12 to a F-15 and try a tail chase.

- Phil

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by gooseuk
Jury rig a Pariot Missile or SA 12 to a F-15 and try a tail chase.

An AIM-54 Phenoix may be able to go after it.

Its funny you mentioned jury rigging a patriot. A while back I saw an article about how it was being pondered as a long range cruise missile interceptor with an air launched variant. For the life of me I cannot find the article.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I know this thread is about what fighter or missile can or could intercept the SR 71 but what about the A.B.L?

Having looked at what the ABL should theoretically be able to do even the speed and height the SR 71 can acheive would save it from a weapon which can track and destroy MIRV's!

Sv Out

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silentvulcan
I know this thread is about what fighter or missile can or could intercept the SR 71 but what about the A.B.L?

Good one once it is in production
I did not even think of that one.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I flash to the shuttle "UFO" vid where you see the "UFO" on the edge of the atmosphere and a "beam" shoots up from earth.

The "UFO" barely dodges and flys off in space.

If we have classified laser tech, that might do it.

I'll try and find a link to the vid.

It's the STS 48 video, here's "our" link to a description

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 1/10/05 by redmage]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join