It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gorillas videotaped using walking sticks.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
While other species of apes have been found to use tools, (eg. Chimps catching ants with twigs) wild Gorillas have never been know to do so.

In the Congo there has recently been two gorillas photographed using walking sticks.

"This is a truly astounding discovery. Tool use in wild apes provides us with valuable insights into the evolution of our own species."

www.timesonline.co.uk...
www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
This is really an amazing discovery I think we take these guys too much for granted.These animals are far from dumb and are more like us than we think.
For some reason a great feeling of kinship comes over me looking at these photos,great find umbrax.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   
the second gorilla is using the stick to test the depth of the water, very intersesting !

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Gorillas are intelligent creatures with advanced social structures.

This news story really makes me think. What if Man had to share the Earth with another species that was equal in intelligence?
Life on Earth would be totally different. From technology to religion.
However I suppose one of us would wipe the other out

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Yeah, who knows, that might have already happened.

Zip

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Thanks for the link Zip.

I had heard of Those theories regarding the extinction of Neanderthals. To me the extinction through war and disease makes more sense than interbreeding.

It is kind of sad though, the idea of destroying a compassionate species that even bury their dead.

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Its called WOMEN!!

posted on Sep, 30 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
It is only a matter of time before these animals use these 'sticks' as weapons and decide to use them to defend itself against men. What happens if you wake up tomorrow morning and hear of a gorilla raid carried out in Zaire that left dozens injured and dozens killed?

Honestly, what if this becomes a problem in the future, gorillas killing humans with weapons? Will we be froced to hunt down and extinguish all apes who we feel are capable of such tactics?

We need to form a coalition to study why these gorillas are taking up sticks. Is it because of necessity or are they emulating humans?

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Don't panic.

I don't think Gorillas need sticks to defend against men. They can rip off your arms and just beat you with that if they wished. Worrying about a gorilla with a stick is like worrying about a nuke with a thumbtack on it. It just doesn't make a difference.

There is no history of wild Gorilla attacks on people. The only attack I've found was in a zoo where kids were throwing rocks at the animal.

We don't need a coalition to study why they are taking up sticks. We already know the reasons why, to get food and not to drown. Human contact is very limited with these gorillas they don't emulate us in the wild. They do in the zoo only because humans handle them.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 01:13 AM
link   
yes that is a definate sign of evolution. its true they are starting to reaslise that sticks can help defend alot easier. the monkey was using the stick to stand up. most monkeys sit and crouch around. those 2 atleast are finally learning how to be more civilized.

its good to know. this is jst more proof aliens exicst and we evolved

yes i do blieve there will be a problem with the apes in the future and yes i think were going to have to kill them off unless we can get them onto another planet, like the greys did to probly save our race.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Anyway , I am not stunned of this because I already had a thought of they would use types of wood etc as s tool
So to me it did not came as a shock

But great find indeed ....

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   
A though just crossed my mind, is it posible that this behaviour is a possible precurser to walking totaly up right and in the past our ancestors may have used similar methods when taking there first steps on two legs.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Gorillas for the most part are very gentle and kind creatures. Of course there are a few rules to follow like...dont stare directly at the eyes(common in many cultures as disrespectful or a challenge) and dont get in between the hungry and their food, also dont play with the women unless consulting with the leader(silverback)

They are truly remarkable creatures that I love.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
i always thought gorillas hated water. like they wouldnt cross a stream or river... i could be wrong

[edit on 1-10-2005 by funnyfeni]

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by BirDMan_X
its good to know. this is jst more proof aliens exicst and we evolved

This discovery is not proof of Alien life. I fail to see the connection. Perhaps you would like to start your own thread about it on the Aliens & UFOs board.

Originally posted by Merkeva
A though just crossed my mind, is it posible that this behaviour is a possible precurser to walking totaly up right and in the past our ancestors may have used similar methods when taking there first steps on two legs.

I would say it is very posible. Perhaps in our own history of evolution we survived due to being able to stand upright.

I found an older ATSNN article worth checking out.

Monkey Apes Upright-Walking Humans

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I think that second gorrilla is using that stick for balance too.
Gorrillas move better on all fours and are almost always seen walking on all fours.
I imagine that walking on two legs in water must be pretty difficult for a gorrilla to keep its balance.
It's interesting that they're smart enough to know that they need that extra "limb" in order to balance themselves better when standing upright or to ease the weight on their two legs.

[edit on 10/1/2005 by Logical_Psycho]

new topics

top topics

join