It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Amtrak Acela Express Train Collides With Car

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   
An Amtrak Acela express train traveling from Boston to New York collided with a car at a Connecticut railroad crossing. Apparently no one on the train was seriously injured, but there are no reports on the occupants of the car. The Acela train has been plagued with problems since its inception and only recently came back into service after being offline for months due to repairs.

www.nbc30.com
WATERFORD, Conn. -- An Amtrak train has hit a car in Waterford, shortly after leaving New London.

The train struck the car near the crossing at Miner Lane at 7:42 a.m. Wednesday.

A LifeStar helicopter has been called to the scene. However, later reports said that no passengers were injured.

NBC 30 News reported that there were approximately 130 passengers on the train at the time of the collision.

The train was traveling from Boston to New York, and then on to Washington.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It looks like this could have been much worse, but the early details are still sketchy. I'm not sure exactly what happened.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

It looks like this could have been much worse, but the early details are still sketchy. I'm not sure exactly what happened.

No not really DJ. When a train hits a car, it has roughly the same impact as a car running over a soft drink can.

Still not a good thing and it goes to show us we should pay more attention when around railroad tracks. It is kind of scary knowing that we are 40 times more likely to die in a crash involving a train than in a collision with another motor vehicle.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Doesn't sound good for the people in the car...

Video taken from a television helicopter shows the engine of the train resting on wreckage of a white car along the tracks about 100 yards south of the Miner Lane crossing.
www.thebostonchannel.com...

All the Acelas had been grounded at one time or another this summer to fix a problem with cracked brake rotors.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
WINS News

Two occupants in the car are dead. One adult, one child. Another child was in the car and is now in the hospital with serious injuries.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I grew up around trains, my grandmothers house was right (and I mean literally right) beside the railroad tracks and my father and a good number of my relatives worked for Norfolk and Western...I was rasied to be careful around tracks. I feel sorry for the children involved and hope and pray the one recovers, but a person who tries to beat a train, simply put deserves what happens. It is bloody stupid. If the car stalled and they saw the train was coming they should have just got out and left the car...better on foot than dead, a car can be replaced. Its sad but when push comes to shove, when car meets train, its usually the drivers fault. For all its failings Amtrak shouldn't be blamed for these types of accidents.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Hmm... I see what you're saying.

I've always wondered about that.

1) The crossing always gives ample warning when a train is coming.
2) If for some reason you are on there too late, trains are hardly quiet, why did they stay??

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots

Originally posted by djohnsto77

No not really DJ. When a train hits a car, it has roughly the same impact as a car running over a soft drink can.

Still not a good thing and it goes to show us we should pay more attention when around railroad tracks. It is kind of scary knowing that we are 40 times more likely to die in a crash involving a train than in a collision with another motor vehicle.

The train doesnt always win, sometimes its a draw

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Here's a picture:

Looks like the train definitely won that match!

Two dead and one seriously injured in the car. The car may have been trying to run the signals to beat the train.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Im starting to think maybe we should be importing some of your trains then...

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Some poeple are just plain stupid. (NO implication regarding the victims of this particular crash.)

I live near a busy crossing that is shared by Amtrak, some freight traffic, and the San Diego Trolley.

There is a traffic light just past the tracks, and I am constantly seeing people stop with their cars completely across the tracks! If a train came while they were parked across the tracks, they'd better hope that the cars in front of them (at the light) would be able to move quickly enough so that they could get off of the tracks.

NEVER stop with any part of your vehicle over a track! If there is a stop light ahead, or slow traffic, use common sense, and do not start across the tracks until there is room for your vehicle on the other side!

WHAT are these people thinking when they do this?

new topics

top topics

join