It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Dumped 80 Tons of Fuel Over Kyrgyz Capital

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
About 80 tons of aviation fuel has been dumped near the Kyrgyz capital of Bishkek by U.S. air refuellers. A bird was sucked into the engine of a refueller plane, it caused some kind of problems and it decided to dump the fuel. Another refueller plane got into problems as well on the same day when "chassis broke during take-off" and it dumped its fuel as well. Each plane was carrying 40 tons of fuel. Villagers fell ill after eating wild mushrooms, about 200 people were hospitalized and five cases proved to be fatal. There has also been complaints about lost harvests.

MosNews: U.S. Aircraft Dump 80 Tons of Fuel Over Kyrgyz Capital

Photo from www.narod.ru

U.S. air refuellers have dumped about 80 tons of aviation fuel above the western part of the Chui valley, where the Kyrgyz capital of Bishkek is situated, local media reported.

The head of the city’s sanitary-ecological inspection body pointed out that the city’s authorities do not have the equipment to calculate the damage done by the U.S. Air Force. Manas airbase authorities have refused to comment on the issue.

Many Kyrgyz villagers complained earlier that they fell ill after eating wild mushrooms picked near Manas. They say that the aircraft fuel used by the U.S. Air Force is polluting the soil in surrounding districts. About 200 people were hospitalized with the same symptoms over recent years and five cases proved to be fatal, officials said. People have also complained about losing their harvest for the same reason.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The article does not say when this happened. The US has been asked to leave its bases in Central Asia, but they could stay in Kyrgyzstan "as long as the situation in Afghanistan required it". This fuel dumping story sounds very strange indeed. People sick and even dead...

Reuters: Kyrgyzstan links fate of U.S. base to Afghanistan

Jul 26, 2005

The United States won assurances from Kyrgyzstan on Tuesday that Washington could keep its military base in the ex-Soviet Central Asian state as long as the situation in Afghanistan required it.

"The presence of the (U.S.) base fully depends on the situation in Afghanistan," acting Kyrgyz Defense Minister Ismail Isakov told a joint news conference with visiting Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld.

"Today the minister (Rumsfeld) rightly noted that the situation in Afghanistan has not finally got back to normal," Isakov said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Related ATS Threads:
SCO Demands US And Its Allies To Name A Date To Leave Central Asia

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   
thats pretty bad no doubt about that. im sure we can compensate the victims for the accident. but it was not intentional of course. dump fuel or KaBoooom. either way.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I had to check if this story was a repeat because I remembered a similar story about people getting sick after eating mushrooms contaminated with fuel in Kyrgyzstan.

This other incident just involved an airbase, not a major incident like the latest one.

Mosnews 30.05.2005

At least ten villagers in the Central Asia state of Kyrgyzstan have reportedly sustained acute poisoning after they ate wild mushrooms picked near the U.S airbase Manas, Russia’s Interfax news agency reported on Monday.

All victims, including two children aged four and eight, have been taken to hospital and diagnosed with acute food poisoning. The agency quoted an informed source as saying that all of them ate the mushrooms the locals call “blue stem”.

Most villagers now blame the U.S. airbase for the poisonings. They say that the aircraft fuel used by the U.S. Air Force pollutes the soil in the nearby districts and makes mushrooms toxic. Kyrgyz doctors, however, have no solid confirmation of this theory.

A spokesman for the local sanitary inspection has said that in the region where the accident took place, about 200 people were hospitalized with the same diagnose over the past few years and five poisonings proved to be fatal.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
this sort of story trips my BS meter way off the scale , i do not mean any disrespect to the locals or the por people who fell ill - but IMHO you would have to be pretty stupid to eat crops DIRECTLY contaninated by fuel oil

my take is that a case of food poisoning is being blamed on the fuel in a bid for compo payouts

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Villagers fell ill after eating wild mushrooms

Yeah, ok I might too, I just might.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   
damm i didnt read the linked news report rifgt - as ` lysergic ` points out in big letters - this is the LATEST wild mushrooom poisoning indindent in the area - over several years

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Whenever a fuel dump is performed they try very hard to perform if over unpopulated areas and ALWAYS at a high enough altitude where the fuel will evaporate before hitting the ground. They don't just dump fuel wherever they feel like it, to prevent it from hurting people on the ground. Fuel evaporates pretty quickly when it's in the open air.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
While I remain neutral on this one, need more info, I have to ask what's with the pic?

If I'm not mistaken, that is a U2 spyplane not a refueler.

Is the area below it the "affected area"?

Just curious as to the relation.

[edit on 1/10/05 by redmage]

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase

Mosnews 30.05.2005

all of them ate the mushrooms the locals call “blue stem”.

I knew a guy once who sold some "blue stemmed" mushrooms and apparently people loved the "funny" feeling the poisons gave them.

Namely the psilocybin.

[edit on 1/10/05 by redmage]

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   
REDMAGE : the pic is a U2 over BEALE afb ,

[url=http://www.jamesshuggins.com/i/u-2a/misc/u-2_beale.jpg]evidence[url]

i guess its lazy journalism at work - they grabed the first library pick of a " scary " plane with an airbase in the back ground

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I find the timing of this article interesting. If you scroll down further on the website that this article is posted on you will see that Kyrgyz is in the middle of elections. The current President is the person who gave approval for the US to keep its base. I smell a little mudslinging going on here.

posted on Oct, 1 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
i guess its lazy journalism at work - they grabed the first library pick of a " scary " plane with an airbase in the back ground

Ya, kinda what I figured, doesn't lend much credibility to the story when they use tactics or bad research like that.

join