It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Entire 101st Airborne Division Deploying to Iraq

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   
seems to coincide with the Iran issue. possible build up in anticipation of an action there?

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
Can anybody shed some light on whether this is a build-up or just a normal rotation type of deployment?

delta - behave ok?
There's a serious issue here about how the war may be going... like why the extra troops...

They have a single purpose.

Lead the ground assault in an invasion.

First in, last out as they say....

If the 101st is going in to an established occupation zone it is not to train police, it is to invade another nation from there[Syria, Iran, Etc...].

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
seems to coincide with the Iran issue. possible build up in anticipation of an action there?

no way. its more response to the rising insurgency and not to mention the Iraqi elections that comin up on December. thats my view of course.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
Can anybody shed some light on whether this is a build-up or just a normal rotation type of deployment?

delta - behave ok?
There's a serious issue here about how the war may be going... like why the extra troops...

The 101st would not ever be sent into an established occupation to train police.

They would lead the ground assault in an invasion.

If they are going to Iraq there is 'liberation' afoot.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Considering they were planning on withdrawel, looks like it's for force protection for when they pack up and leave.

A Shift on Iraq
The Generals Plan a Slow Exit

Posted on a bulletin board at Centcom headquarters here is a 1918 admonition from T.E. Lawrence explaining what he learned in training Arab soldiers: "It is better to let them do it themselves imperfectly than to do it yourself perfectly. It is their country, their way, and our time is short."

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I'd wager there may be a partial withdrawal from Iraq but these guys are going into Iran, would be my guess... Something is up. Bless these guys...

USA Today
The division -- along with its 270 helicopters -- will "support possible future operations in the global war on terrorism," according to a statement from Fort Campbell, where the division is based.
The orders come as officials in Washington say the buildup of American forces in the Persian Gulf is accelerating, with two and possibly three more aircraft carriers likely to head toward the region in the next few days.
"The president of the United States has made no decision about any future military operations," said Maj. Carl Purvis, a public affairs officer with the 101st. "These deployments are prudent steps to increase military capabilities and enhance flexibility."

[edit on 26-9-2005 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
my friends son arrived in iraq on wed. he is a specialized bio/chem/nuke warfare marine first battalion(or 2nd). if anything happens in the middle east with iran or syria, expect it while we are in the middle of a troop rotation where our numbers will b the greatest. it appears we will reach max troop strength very soon.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Yep. Airborne...

Things are about to get real hot.

This may also be of interest: Saudis Warn Region is On the Brink of War.

cjf

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
USA Today
The division -- along with its 270 helicopters -- will "support possible future operations in the global war on terrorism," according to a statement from Fort Campbell, where the division is based.

Just for clarification, the above posted article is c. Feb 2003.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Just a few ideas as to why the entire 101st is deploying to Iraq.

1) To relieve other units that have done multiple deployments...there are many Marines and soldiers on thier 2nd, 3rd and even 4th deploymant to Iraq.

After all the 101st hasn't dpeloyed to Iraq in two years

from the article:
It's been two years since the division was last deployed to Iraq.

2) Maybe something is about to go down.....IRAN ring a bell?!?!? and the US is flexing our military might as a deterent and if that doesn't work, we're already there.

3) A final sweep of Iraq...like taking out the trash. A massive all hands gun 'em down, kill the bad guy raid. Sounds like a good idea.

Anyways, I think 101st relieving other units that have been on mutlitple deployments is probably the reason......but who knows.

sporty

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by cjf

Yep.

That's from the last time they deployed I think... just before Shock and Awe started.

As pointed out this seems to be part of a build-up to something.

cjf

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
The deployment of the 101st had been planned and verified as part of the OIF rotation fairly early on…

By Jim Garamone
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Feb. 15, 2005 With the Army's 18th Airborne Corps taking over as the Multinational Corps Iraq headquarters, the 2004-2006 rotation of troops is well under way.
…….
101st Airborne Division, Air Assault (division headquarters and 4 brigades), Ft. Campbell, Ky........

(Press Release)

This rotation also appears to be have been well anticipated by the troops.

FORT CAMPBELL, Ky. -- Combat soldiers from the 101st Airborne Division will begin deploying to Iraq in the next week, two years after the division helped topple Saddam Hussein, Army officials said Thursday.
(Full Article)

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
DING DING! We have a winner....sporty:

"2) Maybe something is about to go down.....IRAN ring a bell?!?!?"

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Before you guys get all "Iran'ed" on us. This is a normal rotation, due to the fiscal year beginning next month.

If 20,000 are going in, I'm betting 30,000 will be rotated out, that's how it works.

Originally posted by Janus
Better the 101st go than the National Guard, no offence intended to the guard but the 101 are Proffesional and highly trained. Good luck and gods speed.

[edit on 26/9/05 by JAK]

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by cjf

Crap! I'm sorry!

But it does sound eerily familiar...

[edit on 26-9-2005 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Army
Before you guys get all "Iran'ed" on us. This is a normal rotation, due to the fiscal year beginning next month.

If 20,000 are going in, I'm betting 30,000 will be rotated out, that's how it works.

Originally posted by Janus
Better the 101st go than the National Guard, no offence intended to the guard but the 101 are Proffesional and highly trained. Good luck and gods speed.

[edit on 26/9/05 by JAK]

Hmm seems i offended someone, didnt catch the post before JAK edited it. Perhaps you think i was putting down your National Guard, that wasnt my intention. I was a regular Soldier and in my Country we tend to look down on part time Soldiers, perhaps some of that predudice krept into my post. If it did im sorry, it wasnt my intention to belittle the US Guards contribution in Iraq.

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Guess what, Janus? I was regular army and weekend warrier in my country (U.S.) and I understand your thoughts, but from what I understand, the U.S. Guard has really become more professional due to all their real-world missions and what-not. In a way, I wish we could go back to the ol' Bubba Military thing, but I don't see it happening.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Guess what, Janus? I was regular army and weekend warrier in my country (U.S.) and I understand your thoughts, but from what I understand, the U.S. Guard has really become more professional due to all their real-world missions and what-not. In a way, I wish we could go back to the ol' Bubba Military thing, but I don't see it happening.

As i say TC i handnt realised id caused offence until i re read my post. Again i would like to appologise unreservedly for any offence caused. I understand that the guard has shed blood in Iraq and realise my post was insensitive.

[edit on 27-9-2005 by Janus]

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Guard served in Nam , Guard served in GW1, we all bleed the same and grunts is grunts.

It's the civis you have to worry about.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 07:05 AM
link   
But Why - if things are going "So Great" in Iraq?

Why - if the Mission is already Accomplished?

Could it be that the situation in Iraq is spinning out-of-control?

Especially lately in the events of GB Troops in Basra and the News that by May 2006 the GB are going to pull out of Iraq.

Hmmmmm...

I wonder what's cooking.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join