It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possibility Of Release for Guantanamo Bay Detainee David Hicks

page: 1

join
share:
D

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Australian Guantanamo Bay detainee David Hicks has the chance of being released after his lawyer Major Michael Mori was informed by Hicks that his mother was a British citizen and due to amended British and Australian laws, Hicks has claim to British citizenship. Hicks' lawyers believe that he has a good chance of being released as all British detainees in the past have been released.

smh.com.au
Hicks was born and raised in Australia but now he is seeking to become a British citizen. After sending out some feelers to British authorities, Major Mori lodged Hicks's application with the British embassy in Washington on September 16, barely a month before his expected trial in late October.

The Hicks legal team has not heard back from the British but believes it has an irresistible case thanks to two changes in law in England and Australia.

Until 2002, only the children of British fathers could register as UK nationals. In that same year, Australia passed a law allowing Australian citizens to hold dual nationality. It is not surprising that Hicks was unaware of the changes. He was already incarcerated at Guantanamo Bay.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I have to admit this is quite a suprise. The fact that the British may end up securing Hicks' release is a turn for the better as Britain has already secured the release of its nationals at Guantanamo. I'm also quite suprised at the amount of time it has taken for either side to bring this subject up.

Related News Links:
www.news.com.au
smh.com.au
news.ninemsn.com.au

[edit on 25/9/05 by D]

[edit on 25/9/05 by D]

[edit on 2-10-2005 by DJDOHBOY]

posted on Sep, 25 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I doubt this ploy will work but it is worth a try. Hick's trial is about to start so I guess there is no holds barred for ways to get out of the situation. He should be tried by a fair and public trial for everyone to see.

join